Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worn Lock Or Key?

SamWebb

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice!

A few months ago my driver door stopped locking and unlocking with the fob (the rest of the doors unlocked fine) and I could open it manually. However I had to also lock it manually as with the fob it would unlock immediately as the drivers door wouldn't lock. I assume this is a problem with the motor in the drivers door but didn't bother to fix as I could still get in and out of the car no problem with the key. (I don't have a spare key by the way).

I now regret this as now my key has stopped working in the door. It will lock and works in the ignition fine but I'm having to unlock with fob and climb over from another door to unlock the drivers door to get in. It did slowly start to get harder and harder to unlock before it stopped letting me unlock completely. I realise now how silly I sound but I'm good at avoiding problems. Anyway here is my dilemma...

I know the key blade is very worn and I will need to get a new cut either by a locksmith or by getting the code from Ford as it is past being readable. However I had read that if my key is worn it is likely my lock is also worn. So... do I try and source a new motor so my door will unlock with the fob and get a new key cut? Or do I go ahead and replace the whole locking assembly including the cylinder? Although I'd like to tackle the problem myself as I would enjoy the challenge and saving money, I'm unsure about what replacing the cylinder would involve. Would I need to get a locksmith to read the new cylinder and get a different key cut? Would that also mean I would need to replace the bonnet lock with a matching lock?

I would just go ahead and get a new key cut and then get a new motor if it works, however I don't want it to be a waste of money if my lock is worn. The main reason I am worried my lock is worn is because the key works fine in the ignition and will lock the door with ease. I know replacing the motor and getting a new key cut would solve the problem even if the lock is worn since I'd have my fob and the ignition is fine. But I'd kinda like to get the whole thing sorted just in case my central locking ever fails. If anyone has any advice on changing the locks it would also be very helpful.

Sorry this is a long post, so thanks for reading if you got this far!

My car is a 1.6 focus LX (2001)

Thanks guys

Sam

The key blade on your car is known as a "Tibbe"

They often wear, any decent locksmith should be able to cut and supply you with a new horse shoe key which will clip into your remote.

Not sure if many people know this but ANY Tibbe key will lock a Tibbe lock, only the correct cut key will open it. I've seen some Tibbe keys which are so worn that they are almost round but amazingly still work, but eventually will stop working in the lock and need replacing. If the key can't be read then the lock can be decoded with special pick and decoder. I have cut loads of Tibbe keys and the locks normally last well, it's the key that's normally the issue. It's a cheaper option to replace the key first and try that rather than go to replace the lock.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah that explains the ease of locking, I'm assuming the bonnet and fuel cap would work with any Tibbe as well, as I haven't had any difficultly so far. I'll call a locksmith this weekend.

Thanks again

Sam

No the bonnet and fuel cap should only open with the correct cut key. For the cost of just a new horse shoe blade it's worth a try. Inside the remote sits the transponder chip which allows the car to start so that part doesn't need replacing. The problem with your drivers door not opening on the remote is a separate issue I believe.

check my guides (click the link in my signature) as there is a guide there on how to get a replacement key cheaper).

Also, it sounds like the issue is the connection between the drivers door control module and the central locking module thats at fault.

Thanks focus66!

Jebowhite, I have had a quick look on eBay before for a new fob for my partner because i know you can sometimes program the chip yourself. I didn't know if a key cutter would tell me to !Removed! off if i took my own key. Kinda like taking a sandwich to a restaurant or something haha. I definitely won't be paying Ford prices, I'll get in touch with a locksmith and see what they will cut for me... When i get around to it... :whistling:

Local indies tend to say they will cut it but cannot guarantee it will work, others if they see aftermarket won't touch it because it may damage their cutting.

I bought the bits and had a few spare so got the entire key some for under 40 quid I think or perhaps 50 it was a while ago lol

A tibbe key is easy to read even if worn-

Screenshot_2015-01-01-18-13-2_edit_14201

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club