Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awesome Halfords Experience! Nextbase Car Camera Hardwiring Kit

JTill

So I fitted a generic in car crash cam (collision cam, front facing camera, car camera what ever you want to call it) and when fitting it I found it only came with a cigarette lighter plug. Very annoying when I want to wire it straight to hot power!

after much research it was looking like I needed to buy a piggy back fuse from eBay and an auxiliary cigertte lighter and couple the two together.

How ever!! I went to Halfords today on the off chance they might have another solution and they did! They have just taken delivery of 'Next Base Car Camera Hardware Kit'

This is a piggy pack fuse (comes in both sizes of fuses) coupled to a (what I assume is a voltage regulator) then with a 4 meter mini usb cable! I was pretty amazed as I haven't seen these on the internet!

Fitted the cable as was all up and running in less than 30 minutes! Luckily I already knew the cable route and the trim panels to take off etc!

Still thought I'd let you all know its a brilliant product and I bet they will sell a load to these and its only £10!!

I have no affiliation to Halfords or Nextbase this is only a personal oppinion

Don't get that nowadays. I got a camera and like yours it only came with 12v plug socket so had to source the extra long lead and piggy back of eBay.

One thing to be careful of when fitting piggyback fuse connectors is that you must ensure that the wire off the piggyback is on the negative terminal of the fusebox or else the piggyback fuse is bypassed.

Easiest way to check this is to remove the relevant fuse and see if the item connected to it is not live.

If the item powers up then you need to rotate the piggyback 180 degrees.

post-28494-0-01727600-1431033585_thumb.j

• Like 1

Clive, are you referring at this point to the newly fused item or the originally fused item?

The new one.

The original (lower) fuse position bridges both terminals in the board whereas the top fuse only contacts one leg off the board (the wire is the other).

A lot of motor factors have stopped stocking fusetaps due to lack of understanding concerning fitting.

If you are using a fusetap and you get the polarity wrong you are bypassing the fuse and risking electrical problems.

• Like 1

That's some useful info Clive. I know mine is on the right way round because The camera didn't work until I put a new fuse in the top slot on the piggyback.

• Like 1

I find a good way to check is fit the tap and before inserting the top fuse plug something like a phone charger into the spare socket (or a voltmeter if hardwiring dashcams etc).

If you get voltage then the tap is reversed.

I'm wondering how many people have used fusetaps incorrectly and are running electronic devices unfused.

I know I test them with a fuse when I installed them for the DRLs

• Like 1

Very good points! thanks a didn't think to check that!

Still a very good product that means no having to mess around with splicing wires together and risking getting un tested dodgy items from fleabay!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club