Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Trip Tronic/ Tip Tronic (?) Problems?

Ianb

Hey guys, looking around at different motors and their gear boxes....

I know that stereotypically manuals can be broken and do break after many miles..

Automatics are bulletproof (or idiot proof)..(yes they can be broken, but generally they're fine)

Where do trip tronics (or tip tronics) fit in? breakable or not?

I've driven a toyota yaris with one in and it was kind of fun to drive (as fun as a yaris can be)..

Obviously I'm sure that a lot also falls onto who is actually making the gearbox, but as with the above, I'm looking at more of the stereotypical answer to the whole thing.

Tiptronic boxes are pretty bombproof.

Designed by Porsche and used in quite a few vehicles in the VAG range.

Just check smoothness of shift between 1st and 2nd and 3rd to 4th, if all slick then you're laughing.

• Like 1

I would agree but the fuesbox on the CMAX MK1 (ZF) I believe to have been a TT gearbox too (unless I am mistaken) and the problem there was moreso the wrong gearbox for the right car, but it broke spectacularly!

the idea of auto gearboxes is good, but for the lack of economy, and the expensive maintenance then you risk a lot. I liked my auto, but no where near as much as a manual, and until I am stuffed altogether with my right leg I will be sticking with the manual I think!

Don't get me wrong James, manual is something I love, I just spotted a potential candidate for a van, I was slightly put off by it's 140k miles, but seeing it had a *double checks the spelling in clives post* tip tronic gearbox made me more interested as it might be a bit less abused than a manual...

• Like 1

Most Audi RS and S Series owners would disagree with the reliability of a Tip-Tronic box, just google RS6 gearbox issues, it's made of cheese. RS4's aren't that far behind.

I looked at a 2001 Porker 911 Turbo a few years ago, under 18K to buy now so not bad, they were all Tiptronics for this price and people told me to avoid them, manuals are much more expensive.

The one on the new Clio Sport is meant to be quite good, no reported issues as of yet.

Shame Ford didn't put one in the ST's and RS's really, with such a big track following it would have been a success.

Seen them in renault vans... got me interested, and worried at the same time...

Renault have a bad rep, but remember most of these things popping up on their cars are created primarily from F1, and I have to say they have a pretty damn good record in F1, the Sport Engines and Boxes like these are solid. all the other parts on them are crap obviously.

Yeh, I'm under no illusion that at the end of the day, it's a renault... and being a 'trafic' it's also a vauxhall or a nissan... or I don't really know...

Unfortunately I'm in a position where I need a van, but I can't afford to go for something 'decent' (relatively speaking) at this moment in time.. If I could afford it I'd go for a transit. Although I'm still not convinced on a tiptronic van as the only one I can see is 140k miles at the moment.. which is still pretty high..

it can be pretty high, but I would suggest joining a renault van forum, ask them about the gearbox in those things. If they are indeed bulletproof, then a diesel engine will easily double that mileage. Sure you have to put a bit of effort in and maintenance, but you could find your budget works better with the renault.

As I say, you still need to maintain it, and being a renault, you will have to be on the ball, but it could well be worth it!

Traffics are generally pretty good, don't think Renault actually build them directly though, if VX and Nissan are in on it one firm must build them all, like the Aygo, C1 and 107 Scenarios surely?

problem with a transit is the RUST though, I'd avoid them above all others, expensive now as well.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club