Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smell In Car

trebor11

There's a smell coming into the inside of my 2007 1.6 tdci that smells like exhaust fumes any ideas ?

Split breather pipe or blowing exhaust.

• Like 1

Sorry would that be a split exhaust breather pipe or something different ?

Sorry would that be a split exhaust breather pipe or something different ?

Breather pipe off the engine that carries fumes. Usually called a crankcase breather pipe. Just check all pipes for splits. My wifes Punto had 2 split until they redesigned the pipe to a silicone one which has now been on for years. That flooded the cabin with exhaust fume smells when it split.

Check the breather pipe that runs from the cam cover to the large intake pipe. It should have a plastic clip either side and a rubber seal inside the cam cover end, these often become loose/broken and let a hot oil smell into the car as Wez says.

If it's definitely exhaust then check for exhaust leaks.

could also be the injector seals, or the EGR (if fitted)

Hi I had the same problem as you the best thing to do is start the engine open the bonnet first and have a smell round the turbo for fumes you might laugh at this but that is what I had a small split at the bottom off pipe fitter a new one been ok

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I had this on my Focus diesel. It ended up being leakly injector seals and leak off pipes, leaking fuel onto the manifold. If its a diesel, hold you hand aboe each injector. If its leaky you should feel a puff of air onto the palm of your hand, on each injector cycle

• 2 months later...

Bit late to the party but a cracked EGR cooler will make the cabin really smell of exhaust fumes it did on mine.

• 2 months later...

Did you get your car stored out would like to know what it was

My No 3 injector failed when I had an injector test done. I,ve had that changed now and my EGR blanked off and the smell of fumes has gone when in motion its just when I,m stationery now or stopped at junctions.

• Like 1

Hi rob so you still have fumes in the car when stationery that's the same as mine just a bit worried about it I went to York on Friday it was fine I feel a lot better now you said that

I have the same a smell in the car and wonder if it's just the injector seals but I don't know for definite. I will take it to my local indie some point and let len loose on it lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi mate someone said about the breather pipe from the rocker cover to the main air intake. I've checked mine and it doesn't feel that secure plus I changed the air filter on the weekend and there was oil in and around the MAF and air filter and again someone said it could be coming from this breather pipe. I had a few issues after changing the air filter with it being hesitant and rough idle so I sprayed the MAF with electrical cleaner and it runs a lot better. Going to change the breather pipe next pay day see if that solves the fumes in the car when stationery....will try to let you know how I get on with it..hope that helps.

• Like 1

Definitely worth looking at, thanks matey

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hi is the MAF next to the air filter which is the breather pipe

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club