Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Mk3 Boot Leak?

WES180

Hi guys first time poster who has just noticed the dreaded water problem we all seem to be having on my 2013 zetec focus.

not had chance to take the bumper off yet but I have removed the rubber grommet and it’s pretty nasty in there. So it’s obvious I have had water getting in there.

was going to buy a new set of vents to be ready when I do get the bumper off. What the hell do they call them and the best place to get them? As I cannot for the life of me find them online!

thanks for any info.

• 3 weeks later...

Another one fixed today.... last Ford I'll probably ever buy!

Now just the exciting job of removing the main carpets to dry out the sound deadening 😞

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-10 at 12.37.27.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-10 at 12.37.271.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-10 at 12.37.272.jpeg

On 10/23/2019 at 4:10 PM, Hevydevy said:

was going to buy a new set of vents to be ready when I do get the bumper off. What the hell do they call them and the best place to get them? As I cannot for the life of me find them online

I didn't have any issues with breaking them, just follow the video posted earlier and be gentle.

The side vents I couldn't get to the top clip furthest away, so released the other 3 and then slid it out.

After a few weeks of heavy misting in the windows today I noticed damp rear footwells, Google found me this thread and I just nipped out and pulled the grommets... gushing water looks like I'll be taking the bumper off next weekend.. big thanks to Wes 

• Thanks 1

I've just registered to say thanks to @WES180for this thread, I am another with this issue it would seem. I noticed wet boot carpet first and then got annoyed with the misting inside the car (always been an issue) getting worse. 

Just popped the bung on the NS and low and behold the water started flowing. Will get it sorted now thanks to this guide! You should invoice Ford for investigation time!

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Haha, I just done this job on my 12 plate focus last weekend, I followed a YouTube video, brilliant. 

I'm another victim of of the Mk3 Focus Fishing Simulator - buy a car, includes free self filling pond in the spare wheel well.

Pulled grommets and drained & the water has gone, but after drying and then heavy rain of late there's been leakage back into the boot again.

Went to take off the bumper today but my Mk3 S is a bit tougher to remove as the rear diffuser/skirt blocks access to the two push clips that hold the bumper underneath. I managed to remove one, but the exhaust blocks access to the other, but if I take off the diffuser/skirt I can get to it.
Not sure how to remove the skirt though as it's held on with metal slotted clips that are a pain to try to remove without snapping the plastic lugs on the skirt.

Anyone know the best way to remove the diffuser/skirt without breaking it?

ff.thumb.jpg.f8f4165cb21e1d5b478c8ed965699eb5.jpgMetal slotted clip holding plastic lug

Hi all,

Ford Focus Zetec 13 Reg.

I completed the fix at the weekend.

I used this video to remove bumper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf5jU8ttX58

There were a few extra bolts in the wheel arch which weren't shown on the video, so Ford must have got rid of them on the newer models.

Many thanks for this thread guys. Ridiculous that Ford aren't accepting that this is their mess.

Condensation has stopped already, will have a look at the seats this weekend and decide whether they need to come out for drying purposes.

Anyone reading this and considering whether to do the fix themselves or take it to ford, my advice do it yourself. I've never picked up a spanner in my life, yet this was easy.

3 hours it took me, baring in mind I have like three screwdrivers, a hammer and some pully tool thing.

Do it yourself and save the money.

Thanks again all.

Hi WES180, 

I have this same issue on my 2013 focus, I want to check the grommet that you have mentioned. Where is the grommet situated? Thanks Gary

On 11/26/2019 at 8:10 PM, Keebs24 said:

Hi WES180, 

I have this same issue on my 2013 focus, I want to check the grommet that you have mentioned. Where is the grommet situated? Thanks Gary

There are grommets underneath the car at the rear, one each side. If you push them in, you might not retrieve them until you remove the bumper and the vents.

But they do let any water drain out so it’s not a problem if they can’t retrieve them.

• Thanks 1

Finally done mine today, just about to clip the bumper back on and bolt things down again.

I called out Ford (UK) on Twitter and they did reply at least,although I did say that unless they do an extended warranty for second hand cars I don't think they'll touch this problem. Lo & behold the silence is deafening.

Oh and on my car (2014 S 1.0 Ecoboost) there's 3 screws in each wheel arch that you need to take off. 2 are star headed, 1 is hexagonal.

Did you replace the soundproofing or did you dry it off and put it back in? If you put it back in how long did it take to dry out? 
cheers 

3 hours ago, Keebs24 said:

Did you replace the soundproofing or did you dry it off and put it back in? If you put it back in how long did it take to dry out? 
cheers 

I’ve left mine out as I needed to get the bumper back on. If I notice an increase in noise levels then I might consider putting some back in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, anyone know of any 3.5 facelifts that have this issue, or did Ford fix it?

Mine is a 2015, and so far, no leaks....maybe just lucky!

• 3 weeks later...

It's the events behind the rear bumper,  theres 4 all told , they need re-sealing

Hi, just to update everyone that my boots been dry since my post 7 months ago. I didn't bother sealing the vents, I just removed the wadding and drilled a couple of small drain holes which has been enough to do the job.

However I do hear a lot road noise from the boot, especially when the seats are down. I don't recall if it is any louder because I removed the wadding as I only had the car for a week beforehand. But now that it's all dry I'm going to try sound proofing the whole boot anyway.

Hi there, I would really like to start by thanking wez180 for the original post! i bought my 2013 Ford Focus zetec s a few weeks and noticed the boot has this same problem. So glad I found this thread as this weekend I’ve managed to get my vents Sealed and sound proofing dry! The amount of water was unbelievable. I’m just wondering since everyone has done there’s has anyone had a problem with water since? I’m hoping I’ve managed to sort this problem but was just curious to know if it does sort it for good. Thank you 

• Thanks 1

Add me to the growing list of swimmers. Resolved it yesterday (hopefully) with the help from this guide.

Thanks @WES180 and everyone else who contributed.

I had quite a lot of water on the passenger side. The drivers side didnt drip when I removed the bung but the felt was a bit wet. When I removed the small vent on the passenger side I noticed a drip of dried adhesiv e right where the seal should be so I reckon this made the leak worse (top right corner of the picture below).

Water Leak.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 7:11 PM, Stoney871 said:

I would think that pliers would maul them up even with a cloth wrapped around them?

For those struggling with this a pair of pliers works, but use them in line with the nut, with the jaws of the pliers either side of the wings of the nut, then a simple twist and it's loose enough to undo by hand.

• 4 weeks later...

WES18 did you get an answer I have a 2013 Mk3 and have the same problem, water in the spare wheel well and spilling into rear of car causing mould on fabric inside the car. Not a great first experience with Ford cars.

I just checked my car. And it’s a disaster. The whole car is flooded even the front mats are soaked. How do I even start to dry them out? If I press on the floor with my hand it seems like there’s litres of water. I live in uk and it’s been raining for months

1 hour ago, Aln said:

I just checked my car. And it’s a disaster. The whole car is flooded even the front mats are soaked. How do I even start to dry them out? If I press on the floor with my hand it seems like there’s litres of water. I live in uk and it’s been raining for months

Wet vac & dehumidifier.  If it was summer I'd suggest removing the carpet completely to dry it but unless you have any empty garage to hang it in it's not going to work at this time of year.

• Thanks 1

All sealed now. Will check in a few days and hopefully won’t find any water . Any downside if I just remove the rubber plugs from underneath and if there’s more water it will just come out?  

Is there a guide or a video on how to at least partially remove the carpets let’s stay from front to back or back to front? I can feel dampness underneath and can imagine the sound insulation will not dry without removing them. 

Hi All. Thanks for this thread it's very interesting. I have a focus estate 2012 I have a very similar problem but it seems to flow more when water is poured over the rear rubber tail stopper. Has anyone else had this? 

Many thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club