Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Mk3 Boot Leak?

WES180

2 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

Think I've now got this issue on my 2015 model

Ford always strive to maintain a degree of consistency from one model to the next and carried this feature over so that owners of newer vehicles would feel a bond with the previous well engineered designs 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is this a known issue with the mk2? My car has all the symptoms; water under the spare wheel, damp side carpets in the boot, damp carpets in the front of the car, mould on the passenger seat, mould on the rear seat belts, heavy misting on the windows. 

Ive checked all the seals and there's nothing obvious wrong with any of them. The water in the boot leads me to believe that the water is entering there and working its way forward. I have pulled the grommets off today but no water escaped. The sound proofing did feel wet, but I haven't taken the bumper off to check it yet 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this problem only persist in hatchback models?

I have a mk3 wagon.

13 hours ago, M0ndeo said:

Does anyone know if this problem only persist in hatchback models?

I have a mk3 wagon.

Happens to the MK3 estate too, but not through the same vents. Have a read of this thread, I've posted about two different leaks in my estate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a problem on the facelift 3.5 as well or did Ford actually fix one of their shoddy designs?

51 minutes ago, ScouseJon99 said:

Is this a problem on the facelift 3.5 as well or did Ford actually fix one of their shoddy designs?

Looking back on previous posts it looks to be an issue on the 3.5's too so I'd keep your eye on that boot compartment for the foreseeable future and see how you go...

1 minute ago, Acid House 1988 said:

Looking back on previous posts it looks to be an issue on the 3.5's too so I'd keep your eye on that boot compartment for the foreseeable future and see how you go...

Ah nuts, looks like i will have to whip the bumper off and have a poke round 

Yes it is still the same 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, unofix said:

Ford always strive to maintain a degree of consistency from one model to the next and carried this feature over so that owners of newer vehicles would feel a bond with the previous well engineered designs 🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

just bought a mk3.5, had a mk3 estate before (no problems with leaks at 115k). 

This one is 41k and sodden through, lifted the rubber bung... ya know the rest. Should take it back but I know that likely the garage will get confused and not do it proper, plus enjoy fiddling so will do it myself. Plus all valeted mint so obviousy the would of noticed this, plus service book all wet 🙄

I like Fords but silly they didnt be more proactive on this one, definately harms their rep.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, unofix said:

yeh daft they didnt sort it, does create community though 🤣

Took my 2012 apart this morning and removed any sound deadening, cleaned up any left over water (the bungs underneath have been out for weeks), cavity waxed inside and then sealed it all back up again with some waterproof sealant. Hopefully that'll stop the problem!

IMG_4556.jpeg

IMG_4557.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeh has some hard wax in garage so done the inside too. Looks better than my black tigerseal on frozen white mind 😀 even gave the grommets a light coat as bit loose (except bottom)

• 5 months later...

OK, I've joined the club...

I am not particularly handy but I might be able to do this.

Does anyone know if a tow-bar will prevent the removal of the bumper?

6 minutes ago, Mike-Mike said:

OK, I've joined the club...

I am not particularly handy but I might be able to do this.

Does anyone know if a tow-bar will prevent the removal of the bumper?

The bumper comes off over the towbar.  But it will make it a bit more awkward.  I assume it's not a foldable/removable one?

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The bumper comes off over the towbar.  But it will make it a bit more awkward.  I assume it's not a foldable/removable one?

No, I think it's a rigid one - the previous owner had it fitted but I haven't looked closely at it tbh, though it looks like there's space between that I'll be able to ease the bumper over it.

Fun and games next weekend...

• Like 1

Guys, I did it!

I am about the least handy bloke you'll meet and even I could do it. The acoustic insulation on the left side in particular was wet, and a small amount of water had re-gathered in the spare wheel well since I cleaned and dried it out last week - so this was definitely the issue.

Not much excess came out when I pulled the bungs but obviously enough to be causing the sour / stale smell.

Big thanks to all who posted in here for the tips and advice.

Only things I can really add are:

• Towbar - no problem getting the bumper off
  • Parking sensors - the cable just about reaches to be able to place the bumper on the ground without having to unplug anything
  • 7mm socket for the two bolts on the back of the bumper (the ones under the boot lid)
  • 8mm socket for the bolts under the wheel arch
  • Also under the wheel arch I had a push-on metal disc(??) that gripped a screw rather than a third bolt that I seem to remember was in some of the videos I watched - it just pulls off
  • Size T30 star-shaped bit to undo the other bumper fixing under the wheel arch (the one that's under the cowling / cover thing)
  • To help remove the bits under the wheel arch one of those small ratchets that go at right-angles is useful
  • One tube of silicone sealant is plenty - I bought two just in case

In all it probably took me three hours, but I wasn't rushing and had to consult the videos a couple of times, but it's really pretty easy to do.

So I'll what happens after the next rain...

Good luck if you have to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

thanks for putting such an informative thread together. 

noticed my driver side footwell is wet in the middle of the Carpet. I pulled the carpet this evening and there was water underneath the centre of the carpet,foam all wet. 

Rest of the floors are dry. When I pulled the carpets there was a tray like thing underneath that seemed to be directing the water down to where the carpet was wet.

any ideas what the purpose of this tray is or where it sources water from?

any help would be great

On 10/28/2022 at 8:20 PM, shaneodwyer said:

Hi everyone,

thanks for putting such an informative thread together. 

noticed my driver side footwell is wet in the middle of the Carpet. I pulled the carpet this evening and there was water underneath the centre of the carpet,foam all wet. 

Rest of the floors are dry. When I pulled the carpets there was a tray like thing underneath that seemed to be directing the water down to where the carpet was wet.

any ideas what the purpose of this tray is or where it sources water from?

any help would be great

Not sure about any "tray" - this is the photo of my car with almost all of the carpet etc. stripped; can you see the piece you are referring to in this photo?

IMG_20210227_154626052_HDR.thumb.jpg.0db

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting misted up windows so pulled the bung yesterday and got a fair bit out of the drivers side and a drop from the passenger side. A job for later in the week then 😔 

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the Mk3.5 saloon query I posted a year back in this thread - had bumper off for some separate wiring work done. Bone dry throughout the boot floor and behind panels. So it may just be the hatchback and estate affected by this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had this issue with my 2013 MK3 took bumper off cleaned and sealed the rear vents seemed to stop the issue ! Simple enough to do at home even youtube has tutorials to help you through and the tools are cheap definitely a DIY job save you a bundle

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased my Focus in early November 22. I found the spare wheel well full of water and the nearside back footwell carpet floating. I tried resealing the wiring boot on the rear door. Put new rubbers on the rear light cluster  fixing pins. All to no success.  I then noted that rain dripping onto the drainage channel was running down to the L bracket holding the gas stays and disappearing.      I removed the 2 bolts securing this and found the thin gasket sealing this to the body, had disintegrated. I made a new rubber gasket and sealed it with a little silicon. I had finally cured the leak. I had to cut the foot well carpet and use a wet hoover and then a hair dryer. Finally stuffing news paper around the edges to soak up the remaining water. I replaced this around ten times until finally it was dry. I now have to re sow the carpet but have a dry motor and no smell of damp.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is strange because on my Focus 2013/november there is 2 drain tubes in this location instead of rubber cap.

With this drain tubes, I've never had water in this location or in the spare wheel trunk.

Another point, if you have a sunroof, ALL videos and answers are PARTIALLY correct.

Why ? because everyone relays the same information without checking.

Here is the sunroof assembly diagram, as you can see there are 4 tubes.

Everyone talks about the 2 tubes in the front and NO ONE talks about the 2 tubes in the REAR

And the rear valves at the end of the tubes are the problem: they have to be removed.

Another point, body panels may have been poorly assembled and poorly made joints let water through.

2093883296_focusmk3slidingsunroof.thumb.PNG.7017ed0c3349041e1db19caddb286ee9.PNG

You should ask to your dealer why they dont install this drain tubes instead rubber caps.

This is an improvement from Ford witch should be install when you do an engine service or any operation

1714534984_focusmk3dybreardraintube.thumb.jpg.88849e1f90ee6c81d377c4e080ed29aa.jpg

To be honest, if there's enough water in there to be coming out of the drain tubes then you've still got a problem. I think the drain tubes are good to stop the car getting completely saturated via the boot, but if water is getting into those side voids near the vents then the wadding etc in there is already soaked.

Still better to reseal the vents properly and stop the water getting in there in the first place imo.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club