Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Mk3 Boot Leak?

WES180

Judging by the number of folk with this exact problem (people over on TF are bookmarking this thread!) I imagine it's an inherent problem with the mk3 rather than damage in this case. 

Anyone with rear sensors done this OK? 

I will be looking in my spare wheel well tomorrow. I will reply if i find water. etc

Jamie

7 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Anyone with rear sensors done this OK? 

My car has (front and) rear parking sensors and I removed the rear bumper a few times without any problems. There is a connector behind the rear bumper (under the car) that connects the rear parking sensor harness to the interior harness. When removing the rear bumper you only have to disconnect this connector. The rear parking sensor harness remains installed to the rear bumper. 

• 4 weeks later...

Reporting back for those following,

as JW1982 says, theres a single loom and clip for those with rear parking sensors - you can undo it from under the car before taking the bumper off if need be although mine needed some convincing to come apart!

Did this about a month ago and not a drop of water inside since - I really think ALL Mk3 owners should take the time to sort this out.  I considered getting EH to do it under warranty (though they'd probably ooze their way out of it) but to be honest, I was happier doing it myself to know that my bumper wasn't just chucked about and a proper job was done.

Kudos to Wes again.

EDIT:: Can this be stickied, or at least put into an 'Essential mods/repairs forum'? =]

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread guys , just sorted the same problem on my Focus, threw aaway the uneccessary wadding from inside the vent area it just holds moisture , its there as a noise reducer not as anything functional .

Looks like I'll be doing this tomorrow.

Got a damp odour so guessing it's this!

Cheers Wes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I noticed all my pics have disappeared now so here they are again for anyone needing them. If any mods can add them back to the original descriptive post that would be great.

Cheers

Wes

20150530_124347.jpg

20150530_131759.jpg

20150530_145217.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Have the same problem not sure how long it’s been like this. Got parking sensors coming so will check and fix when that job gets started. 

Anyway to verify it is these vents. 

Seems to be left hand side nothing high up is wet 

i did start cleaning up before the pictures the spare tyre was litterly deep in water. My jack has gone rusty

thanks for them pictures again wes just need to be able to remove the rear bumper if I can. 

DE1D198E-5F0D-4583-9178-BEA0F93AD235.jpeg

B84AC8C3-6147-4976-861A-FCFDE93625EB.jpeg

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. My wife's 2012 Focus has this exact issue it seems, starting with horrid damp smell and inch of water in the spare wheel area. Same dampness on passenger side as in pics above and also rear passenger footwell.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but reading all of the above it looks like something I can now tackle myself.

Especially thanks for the pictures as these are priceless when taking on a job yourself!

On 02/10/2017 at 11:35 AM, madjon said:

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. My wife's 2012 Focus has this exact issue it seems, starting with horrid damp smell and inch of water in the spare wheel area. Same dampness on passenger side as in pics above and also rear passenger footwell.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but reading all of the above it looks like something I can now tackle myself.

Especially thanks for the pictures as these are priceless when taking on a job yourself!

Have you done it yet mate. I’ve just done mine. Now

I’d just like to thank everyone’s input. I’ve just done this and hope it seals. Even though I forgot to put the fabric back in lol. Need some Greese for the light cluster fixings now.  As it started raining before I got it back together and I could see the rain running past them points. I’ll add my photos as well so hopefully help someone else 

as stated by others best to take off the back one first then squeeze your hand in to undo the retaining clips on the larger one. I did snap one or 2 as I wasn’t aware of the clips. Wish I took a photo of using the small screwdriver to get the first one off. Would be a help no doubt. 

CACEB5B8-3BA4-4F74-BB96-D93CCE7F4ADF.jpeg

7EEB234F-AC01-49BC-ADC9-F0AE836BCE06.jpeg

A943BE71-B322-46A4-BA10-91BEC6C29FB5.jpeg

CA3F6491-E3E4-49CC-B98B-323477AD8537.jpeg

5E49F19A-8B22-4268-A582-96F2E16B488F.jpeg

0D58F40D-B737-4909-AD25-1CCE90189861.jpeg

CCDD63B0-E159-449F-A668-6C2ADE88CB71.jpeg

D08CD9AC-C9C8-4DC9-91F4-236FDB242D3A.jpeg

97C78D04-B5CD-491B-9B8D-9E8B90E35E15.jpeg

That is exactly what mine looked like! I used my wife's hairdryer to speed up the process though.

One question I meant to ask, how did people get on with getting sealant behind the white plastic which is riveted to the car?

I removed the bumper brackets to get decent access to seal the air vents. I removed the pop rivets by drilling them out. The pop rivets are also not sealed. On my car there were water marks inside the bodywork were the pop rivets are installed.  When sealing the air vents it is a good idea to seal the bumper brackets also. 

Ford uses 4.8 mm pop rivets. However 5 mm pop rivets will also fit perfectly.

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

I removed the bumper brackets to get decent access to seal the air vents. I removed the pop rivets by drilling them out. The pop rivets are also not sealed. On my car there were water marks inside the bodywork were the pop rivets are installed.  When sealing the air vents it is a good idea to seal the bumper brackets also. 

Ford uses 4.8 mm pop rivets. However 5 mm pop rivets will also fit perfectly.

Ah. I didn't do this.

Is this problem solved on the facelift focus?

Fantastic thread this !

I had the same issue so spent a good 2 hours last week doing the fix , on checking the underneath cavity grommets an hour ago (on my back under the car) it appears the leak is still in progress !

But i do suspect its due to the fact i couldn't get the top right corner of the bigger vent sealed correctly due to a plastic bit which covers part of one corner , ill have a faff about with that some other time , maybe squeeze a load more sealant into one of the visible holes on it ... 

Anyway underneath the car i popped one of the cavity grommets and managed a couple of fingers in the hole and had a feel about ... soaked insulation !! 

So i managed to drag the insulation through the grommet hole as stated above it just holds moisture , insulation now in the bin . I have also left the grommets out so any potential water will simply drain back out underneath from the open hole .

So next fix when its a dry day will re-seal the rear lights with grease and go around the flat cornered vent parts i couldn't get a full squeeze of silicone with . 

Feeling happy with the current work done though , both cavities were totally flooded.

Big help to all who have posted here !

Yeah I squeezed a lot of sealant in behind those mounts and it seems to have done the trick...

I have this problem I've got the car booked in for the 21st but hopefully I can sort it b4 then to save the cost please tell me what you think I placed baby powder down to see where the leak was coming from its from the same place both sides of the boot and it only leaks in when I drive thanks

20171011_120245.jpg

20171011_105326.jpg

20171011_120228.jpg

5 hours ago, Rawpower23 said:

I have this problem I've got the car booked in for the 21st but hopefully I can sort it b4 then to save the cost please tell me what you think I placed baby powder down to see where the leak was coming from its from the same place both sides of the boot and it only leaks in when I drive thanks

20171011_120245.jpg

20171011_105326.jpg

20171011_120228.jpg

I could be wrong but sure them gromets just go to underneath the car. Try sealing them with silicone then see if it still leaks. 

Regarding the vent vent issue this thread is about. Is it a good idea to leave the gromets out. What’s the purpose of them. 

6 hours ago, Rawpower23 said:

20171011_120245.jpg

20171011_105326.jpg

20171011_120228.jpg

Looking at those pictures it looks to me like the issue is from the outer cavities , which will be flooded to a high level then seeping through where you see the black foam sticky stuff , then draining into the boot area on movement of the car , it has also given me an idea ... when im back on fixit duty ill take a look at those foam sticky things and look to making them more water tight or even smother them completely with sealing stuff , how easy was it to remove the fittings back to the fuse box ?

The issue is the outer cavities which are not visible on the pics , you'll need to remove or part remove the rear bumper then you'll see that larger vent behind which the water collects , all will become apparent when you get there , it did with me !

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for posting this - my Wife's 14 plate Focus had a lot of water underneath the rear seats ( mainly the left / near side ) and we have taken the boot apart to find water in the spare wheel well as well.

Called the Ford Garage just now and "no we haven't heard anything like  that , lots of stuff is talked about on forums. £85 to investigate and 1 day estimate to solve @ £94 + VAT ...

So - as a result of this thread , I decided to find out where the bungs where and if any water would come out

• Left Hand / Near side  didn't release any water, but you could see it pooled in the top of the grommet.
  • Right Hand / Off side - probably 0.5 litre came out 

Conclusion is that the left hand side is leaking through the seams into the Boot, whilst the right hand side is sealed and just containing the water.

I don't have time to remove the bumper etc until at least next weekend - so have just removed the bungs, I assume that any water that gets pushed up by the wheels etc will drain and be much less than what we have had run into those 2 cavities 

Hi guys,

Brilliant thread this. I have this exact problem on mine and only realised when my mate got wet feet whilst sitting in the passenger seat! The footwell was soaked. I checked the spare wheel and there was a huge amount of water in there that has obviously built up over time (the jack is getting rusty!). I will try and drain the water by removing the gromits. Are the gromits easy to locate? I have re-read the thread and I'm not sure where these are as some of the pictures have now disappeared off the thread. Any help on this woluld be much appreciated.

I am away for the weekend so will have a go at removing the bumper and sealing up the vents next week. I am by no means a mechaninc but having watched a vid showing the removal of the rear bumper I feel confident I could do this.

Thanks again, especially to Wes.

The grommets are underneath the car behind the back wheel arch on a flat section of steel. If you look at the first two photos that WES180 has posted above the grommet is in the bottom surface below the large rectangular(ish) hole. In the second photo, which is shot looking into that rectangular hole, you can see the round hole where the grommet has been removed. 

On my Focus the grommets had been installed from inside the box section so I had to push them to remove them, I couldn't pull them from outside.

Hi I have got this problem at the moment do you have the pictures you put on this Post as for some reason it isn’t showing them and I’d like to see how you removed an what was behind the rear bumper

thanks 

Hi

I have a focus 2013 registration. It is still under the 5 year warranty. Spare tyre is in an inch of water and front and rear footwell are soaking. 

Rang Ford dealership and was told it's not covered under warranty but am gonna show them this week. 

Surely this is a manufacturing defect that ford have to stand over if it's so common. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club