WES180

Possible Mk3 Boot Leak?

Sooo, just spent 45 minutes getting the tail lights off, the screws holding in the lights were incredibly tight! I've mauled them a bit with pliers but at least I got them off. I was bout to take the rear bumper off and realised I need a 5mm socket wrench to get the bolts off. My cheap set go up in increments of 2mm haha!! So I cleaned behind the tail lights and just put them back on, failure - it's started raining now. 

Anyway,I just called Vospers where I purchased the car (just three days ago) and explained the situation. I have a platinum guarantee but doesn't say it covers water ingress. They confirmed they will try and sort it out and there will be absolutely no cost to me at all! 

Amazing service from Vospers Ford. I'm just writing this on here because I've heard normally dealers turn a blind eye to this sort of thing. I wont have my car for three days but they're giving me a courtesy car. Rare positive things get said about main dealers on these forums so I think it's important we record the good as well as the bad.

Just have to hope they know about the air vent situation and that they need to silicone it. If only I had called them before I stressed around with the back of my car for an hour!

Many thanks to Wes10 and others for diagnosing and suggesting how to fix this problem. I had a bad case of it, with litres of water sloshing about in the spare wheel well and many more which had run forward and saturated the upholstry and underfloor sound insulation inside the car.

Here is a short video detailing exactly how I fixed it. No new info in here that's not already in this thread, but hopefully it will help some who are trying to sort this (common) problem.

Great vid, got an in car swimming pool myself, this will go along way to helping me fix it.

On 28/04/2018 at 2:26 PM, SamCappo said:

Sooo, just spent 45 minutes getting the tail lights off, the screws holding in the lights were incredibly tight! I've mauled them a bit with pliers but at least I got them off. I was bout to take the rear bumper off and realised I need a 5mm socket wrench to get the bolts off. My cheap set go up in increments of 2mm haha!! So I cleaned behind the tail lights and just put them back on, failure - it's started raining now. 

Anyway,I just called Vospers where I purchased the car (just three days ago) and explained the situation. I have a platinum guarantee but doesn't say it covers water ingress. They confirmed they will try and sort it out and there will be absolutely no cost to me at all! 

Amazing service from Vospers Ford. I'm just writing this on here because I've heard normally dealers turn a blind eye to this sort of thing. I wont have my car for three days but they're giving me a courtesy car. Rare positive things get said about main dealers on these forums so I think it's important we record the good as well as the bad.

Just have to hope they know about the air vent situation and that they need to silicone it. If only I had called them before I stressed around with the back of my car for an hour!

Never had a problem with Vospers, some of my mates won't go near them but probably just because one had a bad experience and tainted the expectations of the others.

I found that to remove the rear light fixings a 2" wide paint scraper fits nicely into the slot at the end.

Push against the light fitting as you turn the fixing and you'll feel it squeak and loosen enough to turn by hand.

Must admit I mauled up a couple before I sussed this out.

I now keep a spare couple at home in case I have problems (acquired through my fleet maintenance manager for a drink :cheers: )

Ford probably have a nice nifty tool specially made to remove them.

Talking to the guy who owns the bodyshop which did the paint work on my past showcars and he has said he can do the whole job on the rear vents for £60.00, so for that sort of money booked her in to be done. well worth it for the lack of hassle.

3 hours ago, team alchemist said:

Talking to the guy who owns the bodyshop which did the paint work on my past showcars and he has said he can do the whole job on the rear vents for £60.00, so for that sort of money booked her in to be done. well worth it for the lack of hassle.

£60 to avoid a tube of sealant and half an hours work...  You must be richer than I am! :biggrin:   

On 01/05/2018 at 1:37 AM, Stoney871 said:

Never had a problem with Vospers, some of my mates won't go near them but probably just because one had a bad experience and tainted the expectations of the others.

I found that to remove the rear light fixings a 2" wide paint scraper fits nicely into the slot at the end.

Push against the light fitting as you turn the fixing and you'll feel it squeak and loosen enough to turn by hand.

Must admit I mauled up a couple before I sussed this out.

I now keep a spare couple at home in case I have problems (acquired through my fleet maintenance manager for a drink :cheers: )

Ford probably have a nice nifty tool specially made to remove them.

I've also heard bad reviews, but couldnt miss the opportunity to own a 12k miles car in the spec I wanted.

Thanks for the heads up and advice about the screws, I'll get myself a tool at the pound shop!

I've just spoken to Vospers, rear vents have been replaced (I do hope they've siliconed them lol) and they've ordered a new interior light. Will be ready to collect on Friday. Great service. Only negative is I've been doing 100miles a day in a god damn EcoSport and it's really not my cup of tea :yucky: - especially when it's windy on the a38 haha!

On 02/05/2018 at 12:48 PM, TomsFocus said:

£60 to avoid a tube of sealant and half an hours work...  You must be richer than I am! :biggrin:

No just mechanically incompentant Toms, if i touch it i break it:blush:

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I was able to follow all the steps last weekend and so far so good. Washed the car and steady rain midweek. Removed the grommet and nothing came out where previously I ended up with an armpit full of water !

IMG_20180505_142400 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180505_151440 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0578 - Copy.JPG

23 hours ago, SteveH1 said:

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I was able to follow all the steps last weekend and so far so good. Washed the car and steady rain midweek. Removed the grommet and nothing came out where previously I ended up with an armpit full of water !

IMG_20180505_142400 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180505_151440 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0578 - Copy.JPG

Great looking zetec S there mate! Looks lovely in red with the 18's.

Glad to hear you got the leak sorted as well.

On 5/10/2015 at 8:35 PM, spurswes said:

Are you sure water leaks are on your warranty? Mine didn't cover water entering the car.Apparently the models that are older leaked because of how they fitted the back lights,but as time went on the models didn't leak

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

getting my rear vents sealed next week, but as i am a dot the i and cross the t sort of person i want to get the tail light done just to be sure, as i dont want to put sealant round it, as it might be a bugger to remove light for bulb change, my i ask if the later models still leak and if not would a late model tail light fit my car and if so which year tail light should i go for?

Has anyone had this occur yet with a facelift car?

I scoured the thread but I couldnt see any ref to facelift, does this validate the statement about changes to rear lights affecting the leakage?

Andy

Does anyone know what clips are used in the rear bumper (the pop in ones you have to remove to get the bumper off)?  I'm trying to source some before I remove the bumper, so if I knacker them in the removal I can just pop some new ones in...