Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 3 Tdci 2004 Strange Problem

wingchun

Hi Guys!

My first post here concerning the above car.

Just replaced the water pump/power steering pump assembly and was on a road test. Went about 7 miles and turned back. Approached a round about leading on to a small piece of duel carriageway speed about 30 mph, went on the duel carriageway in outer lane to pass a wagon and booted it slightly to get past as another vehicle was close behind me. Turbo cut in then I heard a clonk and there was a loss of power. Car was driving fine and on all four cylinders with no warning lights or smoke from the exhaust, just a loss of acceleration.

On getting home I opened the bonnet and all seemed well but I did detect a noise from just below/behind the engine, sounded like the exhaust blowing a little so I placed my hand over the tailpipe to restrict the exhaust gasses but all was fine with no extra noise, just a pressure build up as expected. Car starts as normal and idles beautifully, just the strange blowing noise from the front.

Totally lost as to what to do next as I do not want to do any unnecessary stripping, hoping some of guys might have a clue as to what the problem is.

Thank you all.

sounds to me like a split intercooler pipe or hose, that would certainly cut power.

Good morning James, thanks for your early reply, I am hoping it is something like this sooner than a blown turbo. Not at all familiar with these models, are these pipes easy to get at to inspect? Is there likely to be any pics on the forum that I could look at and would it be likely that there was a noise as the pipe split? (sounded like something being thrown up off the road and hitting the engine) Sorry for the extra questions but all the cars I have had in the past were petrol models and this is my first venture into diesel.

Thank you.

Terry.

Hi terry, just does the turbo pipe (you can't miss it lol) and with the engine running and under load put your hands around the pipes and hoses and just feel for any blowing. I had this on my cmax and replaced the pipe, I did a guide here (click my guides then look for intercooler pipe) and you will see the pipe in question and the potential damage or problem present.

Hello James.

Problem solved and you were absolutely correct, the difference being the fault was mine and not the pipe.

I think an explanation is needed that hopefully will be a warning to other members. Never had a diesel before so when I bought the car last October, joined this site to see exactly what was needed, amongst other things the EGR valve cleaned and blanked. Did the job successfully and fitted everything up, went for a test drive and all was ok. This was about last November. When I checked the car after your post I immediately noticed the pipe had come away from the valve. Obviously it had not been fitted correctly or tightened up sufficiently and had just blown off, took a long while though!! Big lesson there for me, no matter how tired I am, check everything again thoroughly and then do it once more. Car now runs beautifully again. Thanks.

Terry.

Glad it's fixed mate and glad to be of service

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club