Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ambient Lighting Pics

PointyB

Getting my Zetec soon. However I wanted to know about this feature since it is one the least talked about not just on these forums, but in general. It leads me to believe that it's probably a gimmick, isn't it?

Anyone who has the red ambient lighting in their cars do you think you can post up some pictures of it in the dark (since I believe it looks best at night). I have seen some on these forums already but didn't get a good view of where they are coming from and exactly how well they illuminate (or not) the car.

Also, I wanted to ask, for those who own a Zetec without power electric side mirrors, can we still manually push them in after parking? I don't really want them to be sticking out all of the time just in case some crazy !Removed! truck goes through it :(

Loads of pics of the ambient lighting please :)

Getting my Zetec soon. However I wanted to know about this feature since it is one the least talked about not just on these forums, but in general. It leads me to believe that it's probably a gimmick, isn't it?

Anyone who has the red ambient lighting in their cars do you think you can post up some pictures of it in the dark (since I believe it looks best at night). I have seen some on these forums already but didn't get a good view of where they are coming from and exactly how well they illuminate (or not) the car.

Also, I wanted to ask, for those who own a Zetec without power electric side mirrors, can we still manually push them in after parking? I don't really want them to be sticking out all of the time just in case some crazy !Removed! truck goes through it :(

I had one on hire a few months back (which is what lead me to buy a Fiesta as it was lovely) and I just pushed the mirrors in each night without any problem

Hi yeah you can push them in, they might be a bit tough at first so give them a good push. :D

Good good, that takes care of the first concern! Secondly, just need some nice pics of the ambient lighting just to see what it's all about and whether it even looks nice.

ooo I have another question (just preparing my accessories so I have everything ready for when the car arrives). Basically I need a way to connect my iPod to the car. I believe the Zetec only has an AUX port and not a USB one. I have a cable similar to the one below:

YCAbler.jpg

The only difference with my cable is that it doesn't have section C. So basically one end is Section A and the other is Section B, that's it. Will that still work or do I need a cable where both ends are like section B?

ooo I have another question (just preparing my accessories so I have everything ready for when the car arrives). Basically I need a way to connect my iPod to the car. I believe the Zetec only has an AUX port and not a USB one. I have a cable similar to the one below:

YCAbler.jpg

The only difference with my cable is that it doesn't have section C. So basically one end is Section A and the other is Section B, that's it. Will that still work or do I need a cable where both ends are like section B?

I think the cable will work, you just won't be able to skip songs via your wheel or have song info displayed on the screen. Mine just says "AUX"

Here's a pic I took a while back. Ignore the red lights in the footwells, the standard ones are white. I don't have all the ambient lights on in this pic. When the sidelights are switched on, the controls on the wheel and air con light up as well.

gallery_6631_109_279868.jpg

The effect is quite subtle, so it doesn't distract you whilst you're driving, but it is a very nice addition and just makes the interior feel a lot cosier.

OK don't mind flipping through the tracks using the iPod. Also, I thought the ambient lights were red, not white. If they don't look like the red lights in your picture (in the feet areas), what do they look like? Or am I missing something :P

Also keep those pictures coming in peeps, want to get as many views of the lighting as possible :) preferably the standard ones since I know a lot of people have changed their bulbs and modified the ambient lighting system.

OK don't mind flipping through the tracks using the iPod. Also, I thought the ambient lights were red, not white. If they don't look like the red lights in your picture (in the feet areas), what do they look like? Or am I missing something :P

Also keep those pictures coming in peeps, want to get as many views of the lighting as possible :) preferably the standard ones since I know a lot of people have changed their bulbs and modified the ambient lighting system.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. The footwell lights aren't part of the ambient lighting, they just come on when you open a door, like the usual overhead light in most cars.

The ambient lights are reddy/amber in colour and are located in the following places:

-The strip above the glovebox (which you can see in the picture)

-In the little cubby hole in front of the gearstick (also visible in the picture)

-In the overhead light unit, you get a very faint glow that just about illuminates the centre of the car, it's very faint. (Called submarine lighting in the brochure)

-The Steering wheel controls, air con controls light up as well.

They don't really illuminate the car, since they're on when you're driving but the submarine lighting does make it easier to see at night.

I have just bought one of THESE on eBay

Cheaper than Ford and shoudl work just as wekk without interferring with the handbrake - just hope that thel ead is long enough for you to be able to place the iPod somewhere sensible

Cheaper than Ford and shoudl work just as wekk without interferring with the handbrake - just hope that thel ead is long enough for you to be able to place the iPod somewhere sensible

But you've basically just bought an ordinary AUX to AUX cable, except it has a fancy ipod connector on one end.

You need the proper Y cable with the USB part as well if you want song info on the display and to control it with your steering wheel controls.

Yup that's what I have.

Also that red footwell lighting, is it standard in the car or did you get that installed?

Yup that's what I have.

Also that red footwell lighting, is it standard in the car or did you get that installed?

No, the standard footwell bulbs are white. I just ordered some red LEDs off of eBay fo less than a fiver. Can't remember my exact ones but they're W5W Wedge type red LEDs. Easy to replace as you just pull the old ones out and push the new ones in!

One of my holders came loose and I was a bit panicky but it just screws back in place!

I think the cable will work, you just won't be able to skip songs via your wheel or have song info displayed on the screen. Mine just says "AUX"

Here's a pic I took a while back. Ignore the red lights in the footwells, the standard ones are white. I don't have all the ambient lights on in this pic. When the sidelights are switched on, the controls on the wheel and air con light up as well.

The effect is quite subtle, so it doesn't distract you whilst you're driving, but it is a very nice addition and just makes the interior feel a lot cosier.

Ive done the same as you in regards to adding the red lights bulbs under the foot wells.. but how do u keep them on while driving? that would look pretty spectacular!!

Any more pictures of the red ambient lighting without any other lighting extras would be great :) Will give me a proper perspective of just how much light the thing omits :)

Ive done the same as you in regards to adding the red lights bulbs under the foot wells.. but how do u keep them on while driving? that would look pretty spectacular!!

I dunno, I'd guess you'd have to wire them up to the sidelights so they come on when you turn them on. I'm happy to only have them on for the standard time as the cabin would be much too bright if they were on all the time!

I really like the red footwell lights, I would love for them to be on all the time during a night-time journey.

COME ON ZETEC OWNERS LEMEE SEE THOSE PICS!

Here's another pic, it's pretty difficult to see them on camera unless I rig up a tripod in the back and leave it on a long exposure. The two dots at the top are where the "submarine" lights are.

The cubby hole light in front of the steering wheel is almost invisible unless you put something white in it, hence my notepad! :P

gallery_6631_109_63349.jpg

Loool thanks for the pic. Doesn't look like it does much to be honest, just a red dot that one can stare at in order to fall asleep :D By the way, would you know if the car has a 6-CD changer or can you only have one CD at any one point? I'm liking the red lit controls though.

Loool thanks for the pic. Doesn't look like it does much to be honest, just a red dot that one can stare at in order to fall asleep :D By the way, would you know if the car has a 6-CD changer or can you only have one CD at any one point? I'm liking the red lit controls though.

Yeah, they don't look much but as they're right next to the passenger and driver's reading lights, it saves a bit of fumbling. They do illuminate the gear stick and handbrake a little. It's more a really soft glow so it's not completely dark in the car. The red glow on the gearstick is actually from the overhead lights so they do do something!

It's just a single slot CD player in mine. If I'm not plugging in my phone/ipod I usually burn an MP3 cd with a selection of songs I want to listen to. I've started creating "themed" discs!

Connects an iPod to the AUX input.

I know that it does this, I was just wondering why you'd use this when a perfectly ordinary audio cable would the exactly the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

hey i am wondering if anyone can help me at all?

i picked up my mk7 zetec yesterday and i have read in this thread that when the side lights are turned on the air con lights come on.

i have tried turning the side lights on and it still does not work :(

any ideas????

cheers

Having just driven my new Fiesta for the first time at night this evening, I have found the instrument cluster to be too bright. Anyone know of any way of dimming this area?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club