Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 1.5 Ecoboost Has An Issue But Ford Are Fobbing Us Off

alexp999

In my limited experience (Ford, Honda and Audi) Audi were by far the worst I have ever dealt with, their level of arrogance at dealing with issues was gobsmacking. Funny how the car that cost me the most to buy (£20k in 2001) was the most unreliable with appalling customer service. I won't bore you all with the list of issues but the icing on the cake was when I phoned Audi UK to complain about the dealer and they told me point blank they were not interested as the car was 25 months old and they only deal with issues for the first 2 years of the 3 year warranty, the last year was covered only by the dealer!!. The garage had even essentially tried to defraud me. Oh well, I've bought 4 new cars since and none have been or ever will be Audi.

Yep Audi were very difficult to deal with, I think my dad took them to court eventually. As you say, never again!

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post here that mine's currently in for my local dealer to have a look at it. It took them a while to work it out, but a good few of the technicians there have now confirmed they can hear the rattle, right at the centre back of the engine bay. Based on current experiences, I'm not too optimistic they will be able to do much, but will keep you posted.

It is the actuator bar that connects to the wastegate. Ford know about it but consider it to be as designed.

Be very surprised if your dealer can get anything out of Ford but I wish you all the best.

It will need the continuous influx complaints for Ford to ever even consider fixing it.

Right. They think they have found the issue. One of the technicians seems to have pinpointed the issue within about 15 seconds according to the guy who I spoke with. Fuel pump. They detached/disconnected it, noise went away, plugged/reconnected it, and the noise came back. Base on your experience and Ford's diagnosis, I'm hoping this isn't some red herring side issue! They're ordering the part in but won't be able to fit it until early Sept. Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

@Alexp999: How did you change yours 1.5 to 2.0 ST? Via complaint through dealer or you sold 1.5 and just bought the new ST? Thank you.

@Alexp999: How did you change yours 1.5 to 2.0 ST? Via complaint through dealer or you sold 1.5 and just bought the new ST? Thank you.

I part ex'd my 1.5 for the ST. Got a small contribution from Ford after complaining to head office about the way it has been handled (or not) by way of a redemption certificate. I.e a part refund off a new Ford.

Has cost me money but I'm happy enough with the outcome as I ultimately got an upgrade out of it that I'd have probably made at some point. The issue just forced me into doing it earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

It is something to do with the turbo actuator and/or wastegate.

I have not heard of any fixes.

Just they way this engine is unless Ford decide to fix it on future builds of the engine.

I've read the whole thread.

You are positive it is the actuator / wastegate.

On the other hand, smneal says they might have fixed it by replacing the fuel pump.

It would be nice to hear from him on the subject...

Hi! I forgot to report back here, so apologies. Sadly the new fuel pump did not solve the issue. I was quite hopeful, as they seemed quite convinced about it but the rattle goes on. Cheers

Yeah I saw that, contacted Ford UK head office about it and they didn't have a clue about it and were not aware of any "fix".

haha.

Since been told by various people in the motor industry that even if it is a genuine fix, it might never make it to the UK.

Despite being part of Ford Europe, the different countries don't seem to talk to each other much.

Just listened to this, almost sounds like a heat shield is loose, had this issue on my old mk1 2.0 focus similar sound and was heat shield on the cat rattling against the body work

That's what an indy thought at first but it's definitely wastegate. Ford have released a statement saying that is the case but is working to "design intent"...

• 1 year later...
On 13/05/2015 at 0:01 PM, alexp999 said:

My complaint has been logged with Ford, they are going to call later to discuss further.

@smneal, have you been in touch with your dealer to complain or have it looked at? Might be worth registering a complaint if you haven't already, to help build our case.

I have the same issue with a 2017plate  focus st line 1.5  it rattled the second i pulled off i also have a whining noise from the engine bay took car back within 30 days but they wont refund me currently in the process of a independent inspection and have motor ombudsman involved anybody else going though this ? I know a lot of other people are still having this issue with 2017 plate cars .

• 5 months later...

I just thought I'd post an update to say that my mum has just got a Kuga with the same engine and it doesn't have the issue.

Hers is a 16 plate, so I don't know if they finally found a way to fix it, or if it only seems to be the way the Focus is configured going on the above post.

10 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I just thought I'd post an update to say that my mum has just got a Kuga with the same engine and it doesn't have the issue.

Hers is a 16 plate, so I don't know if they finally found a way to fix it, or if it only seems to be the way the Focus is configured going on the above post.

friend got a 66 plate Kuga with the 150ps 1.5 engine back in January - not heard anything odd from the engine when I've been out with him and we have done some 200'ish mile round trips in it. Fuel economy though, ouch, it does drink - average is sub-30mpg

• 1 month later...

Ford replaced the turbo in my 1.5 Ford Focus and it's resolved the noise issue. The car also seems to run better now too.

• Like 1

A bit over 2 years ago, I was looking at videos on the new Ecoboost engines from Ford. I found this video and was hesitant to buy my Ecoboost. I took a risk and I got mine. 

It has been my daily driver and also my holiday / track best friend. The engine has never showed any issues and it is purring like a kitten to this day. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 14/05/2015 at 11:58 AM, alexp999 said:

That is also a concern I was going to raise when I next speak to customer relations.

It is such a pronounced noise, it worries me that something is wearing at an abnormally high rate. Something that sounds like shaking metal, can surely only survive for so long...

Hi Alex,

I have a 2015 focus 1.5 ecoboost 182bhp.

I did a test. Engine running in neutral, door open, revved the engine, released the throttle and then when the rev drops to around 1500 I get a noise from under the car that sounds like a fan hitting some tiny stones or sand around a metal case. It also does it when I start the engine from cold and it's running on idle. Sounds like yours but a little less.

Did you get any closer to finding what this is or a remedy?

On 14/05/2015 at 11:58 AM, alexp999 said:

That is also a concern I was going to raise when I next speak to customer relations.

It is such a pronounced noise, it worries me that something is wearing at an abnormally high rate. Something that sounds like shaking metal, can surely only survive for so long...

Hi Alex,

I did a test. Engine running in neutral, door open, revved the engine, released the throttle and then when the rev drops to around 1500 I get a noise from under the car that sounds like a fan hitting some tiny stones or sand around a metal case. It also does it when I start the engine from cold and it's running on idle. Sounds like yours but a little less.

Did you get any closer to finding what this is or a remedy? I have a 6 month extended warranty on it so hoping I can tell them what it is they need to do before they scratch their heads and say there's nothing wrong.

12 hours ago, SizzlingPotato said:

Hi Alex,

Did you get any closer to finding what this is or a remedy? I have a 6 month extended warranty on it so hoping I can tell them what it is they need to do before they scratch their heads and say there's nothing wrong.

I've heard a PCM update can make it a little less pronounced, but it doesn't seem to do it on the newer engines so I'm guessing they changed the design of something slightly.

I don't have the car any more, so didn't pursue it any further.

• 5 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club