Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Joy

NigelH

Ever since I've had my car I have had great difficulty refuelling - at the last attempt it needed 11 minutes to get jsut 8 litres. Today was fill-up time again, a task I truly dreaded. I waited until the forecourt was clear before driving to a pump, put the nozzle in up to the first notch, squeezed the trigger and got 35 litres of Esso at the first attempt! I never knew that the simple act of putting petrol in a car could give me so much pleasure. Long may it continue. This refuelling problem is the only niggle I've had with the car, and maybe that problem is now no more.

i've only been passed about a month and i had this problem as well (not with a fiesta though)

its embarressing! and i end up having to explain why i'm on the forecourt for so long, not good.

It does get easier the more you do it! When you find the right positioning, and what works for you, you'll become a dab hand at it in no time! Just don't panic about it, forget the old experiences, it's only holding you back, think positive, you weren't as bad as me! I spilled a litre or more on my first attempt filling mine, reeked from head to toe in diesel, lol, I haven't even been back to tesco's forecourt since :rolleyes: lol, I find other petrol stations easier, the nozzles, anyway, maybe it's mind over matter, but I can always fill up no problem at morrison's, don't even waste a drop! :)

i've only been passed about a month and i had this problem as well (not with a fiesta though)

its embarressing! and i end up having to explain why i'm on the forecourt for so long, not good.

Okay, for me embarrassing had to be, and I don't tell many this, lol, the woman from the forecourt shop coming out to help me, cuz I was in a pickle, with a litre of diesel swimming at my feet, and I'm blaming her pumps, cuz when it did go, like pump into the car, it kept clicking, previous to coming out to help, she's talking through the tannoy.. "please hang up the pump and try again.." well mortified, felt like a thousand eyes were on the silly so and so with the blue fiesta!!! :lol: lmao, good enough reason for not being back on their forecourt?! Lol.

oh nooo! that must of been awful. i dread the day i go to the pumps, fill up and realise i have no money, that would be awful

I remember my first car after passing my test. Pulled up to the pump and the filler cap was on the other side of the car, after trying to turn the car round using forward and reverse gears (A 3 point turn). Made a total hash of it and had to ask the pump attentant (remember them)to do it for me. A couple of years later, in my Brothers Nissan Sunny at the same garage. I couldn't open the petrol cover (No key hole). After returning home and asking big Brother, turns out the lever was at the side of the drivers seat. Oh how I laugh now.

Totally cringeworthy things at the time, but very laughable for us all now! :D

But still... I'll give my local tesco's forecourt a miss.. lol.

Ever since I've had my car I have had great difficulty refuelling - at the last attempt it needed 11 minutes to get jsut 8 litres. Today was fill-up time again, a task I truly dreaded. I waited until the forecourt was clear before driving to a pump, put the nozzle in up to the first notch, squeezed the trigger and got 35 litres of Esso at the first attempt! I never knew that the simple act of putting petrol in a car could give me so much pleasure. Long may it continue. This refuelling problem is the only niggle I've had with the car, and maybe that problem is now no more.

Took me a while to realise you only have to bit it to the first notch...i rammed it in and didnt get any :)

I had great difficulty when first filling up my car, I was pushing the nozzle in too far and it kept clicking off and petrol was pumping out everywhere, I worked out that you put it in just a little bit and then drop the pump handle down towards the car, when it clicks release the trigger straight away as this means the tank is full, I love the fact now that I have no worries about putting wrong fuel in the car - not that ive ever done it, just that I over paranoid about double checking which pump I am using lol.

So have to remember this once it has been delivered . . .

So have to remember this once it has been delivered . . .

I wouldn't worry too much Paul.

I've never had a problem getting it in ever since I've had it............

No accidents, no overspills, nothing.

To quote Poohbear " just ram it in" and squeeze............hey presto the tank's full! :rolleyes:

To quote Poohbear " just ram it in" and squeeze............hey presto the tank's full! :rolleyes:

I think she recommended not to "ram it in" I've had a few problems, but it's getting easier now :P

I think she recommended not to "ram it in" I've had a few problems, but it's getting easier now :P

Sorry Karen, you are quite right.

I misread it however with mine I can just ram it in and squeeze.

Maybe I'm fortunate as it sounds like some are more delicate than others.

Sorry Karen, you are quite right.

I misread it however with mine I can just ram it in and squeeze.

Maybe I'm fortunate as it sounds like some are more delicate than others.

We are!! ;)

As well as a private 'petrol' car, I also drive a diesel van for my business. I vividly remember to this day about the time I put petrol into the van by mistake, (this was about ten years ago and I still come out in a cold sweat just thinking about the embarrassment). I must have had a lot on my mind at the time and had a brain-fade moment! I immediately realised my error at the pump, so knew not to start the engine. Instead, me and a couple of other helpful customers pushed the VW Transporter into a quiet corner of the forecourt while I phoned for a pal in the motor trade to come to my rescue.

So, cutting a long story short, I had to have my van in dock for nearly a week until he had time to flush out the sytem etc. As he was a mate it didn't cost anything, but he pointed out that if I had actually started the engine and tried to drive the van, it would have cost a fortune to put the damage right. I've never made the same mistake again, (and hope I never will). This new-fangled filling cap on the Fiesta sounds great though - at least I won't be able to fill it up with diesel instead of petrol this time.

So, (though I'm sure most people will already know this - so apologies for mentioning it), the moral of the story is: If you are unfortunate to ever fill up with the wrong fuel - whatever you do, DON'T start the engine, even if it's just to move it a few feet away from the pumps. The damage caused could cost you hundreds.

Sarc.

So, cutting a long story short, I had to have my van in dock for nearly a week until he had time to flush out the sytem etc. As he was a mate it didn't cost anything, but he pointed out that if I had actually started the engine and tried to drive the van, it would have cost a fortune to put the damage right.

piston_out.jpg

piston_crown.jpg

A Rover 25 TD accidentally ran on petrol. OOOF!! :o

I like the easy fuel system, but I find it's really hard to get the nozzle empty enough to prevent drips when you pull it out. I guess it's to do with there physically being something IN the nozzle when it's inserted into the filler gulley.

Chris...

A Rover 25 TD accidentally ran on petrol. OOOF!! :o

I like the easy fuel system, but I find it's really hard to get the nozzle empty enough to prevent drips when you pull it out. I guess it's to do with there physically being something IN the nozzle when it's inserted into the filler gulley.

Chris...

I don't actually have my new Fiesta yet, so have never used the new filling system. (Hopefully due for collection at the end of September). I'm looking forward to experimenting with all the new technology though.

Sarc.

I had great difficulty when first filling up my car, I was pushing the nozzle in too far and it kept clicking off and petrol was pumping out everywhere, I worked out that you put it in just a little bit and then drop the pump handle down towards the car, when it clicks release the trigger straight away as this means the tank is full, I love the fact now that I have no worries about putting wrong fuel in the car - not that ive ever done it, just that I over paranoid about double checking which pump I am using lol.

Hi Michelle. Sorry if this seems like a silly question but, when the nozzle 'clicks', do have to immediately end the refuelling? In the past, whenever I've filled up a vehicle, I've been able to continue for a little while after the click, (by lifting the nozzle slightly further out), to get the price up to a round number. Just wondering if I need to get used to paying odd amounts at the kiosk. (Not really an important matter, but I don't want to continue with my old routine and have petrol pouring out all over my feet!) :D

Sarc.

YAY!!!!

Hi Michelle. Sorry if this seems like a silly question but, when the nozzle 'clicks', do have to immediately end the refuelling? In the past, whenever I've filled up a vehicle, I've been able to continue for a little while after the click, (by lifting the nozzle slightly further out), to get the price up to a round number. Just wondering if I need to get used to paying odd amounts at the kiosk. (Not really an important matter, but I don't want to continue with my old routine and have petrol pouring out all over my feet!) :D

Sarc.

I've managed to put a wee bit more in after the click, not much though, then it clicks again.

I've managed to put a wee bit more in after the click, not much though, then it clicks again.

Right, I'll give it a go anyway ... just have to wear some wellies the first time I try! :lol:

For me it seems that if I try anymore after the 1st click I end up with it pouring out all down the side of the car and on my feet, I really struggled in the beginning, so my procedure is: open flap, push in, push down, trigger, click, stop trigger, lift up, take out, shut flap - da dah lol

When it clicks with me, which it did a LOT! I just pull the nozzle out a bit, tiny bit, angle it to the side and it seems to flow well, no more spillage!! :lol:

I have had problems filling the tank but never had any spilling out - just a couple of drips maybe when the nozzle finally comes out.

The 2nd time I tried putting petrol in it kept clicking and wouldnt fill up. I felt really stupid! I wondered what I was doing wrong. I don't know what my technique is now but i've not had any problems since.