Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Obd Security 'databloc Ford Protection'

whatwasthat

Hi Everyone

Security again

I am trying not to 'lose' my Fiesta ST3 which I have had for 3 weeks.

I am using a Stoplock Pro steering lock which fits the fiesta steering wheel perfectly. I realise that this is not foolproof but it is a deterrent.

I am looking to use an OBD data port protector as well. I saw this website http://databloc.eu which is asking for £14.49 plus delivery for a Ford dataport protector. I have scoured the internet but cannot see exactly what they are selling. There is an installer who just says 'it is a small blanking plate that covers the OBD plug'. They are charging £79.99 to fit this gizmo.

My question is --- has anyone purchased or had one of these fitted. At £14 is it any use?

My second question is --- has anyone got any other easyfit data port security. My problem is that I am rubbish at DIY but I have found the data port and how to access it.

I would be grateful for any suggestions especially as I have been reading the dreadful stories about disappearing keyless cars.

I would have thought that Ford would be addressing these issues by now but nothing seems to be available to make these cars more secure.

Thanks and if you have any advice, brilliant!

Try simply relocating the port and fitting a dummy port and making it look like it's installed. Then remove the OBD2 Fuse

• Like 1

+1 for the fuse.

No power means no data connection and takes seconds to do.

Best of all - It's FREE.

• Like 1

Taking the fuse out is another precaution you could take. I took mine out 3 weeks ago, only put it back in on Saturday as car was getting serviced then took it back out afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Is it just the one labeled "data link connector" from the manual, in the passenger fuse box?

• Like 1

Is it just the one labeled "data link connector" from the manual, in the passenger fuse box?

Yep, it is indeed.
  • Like 2

I assume if the device being used has its own power source, the removed fuse is ineffective? Or does the fuse disable comms on the port too?

Removing the fuse leaves the O.B.D. port dead.

• Like 1

I'd like to see this device in the flesh.

Hi all

Thanks for the help. I will be the guinea pig and have ordered the 'OBD data port protector' costing £20 including delivery. Lets see if it is any use. I will report back and post a picture when I have received it. Takes 3-4 working days for delivery. I will also take the fuse removal suggestion and give that a try.

• Like 2

I'm interested to see how this OBD protector thing turns out. I was thinking that would be the ideal solution, if they can't get it off with one hand then they'd have to break into the car and set the alarm off, which is probably enough to stop them isn't it?

• Like 1

I'm interested to see how this OBD protector thing turns out. I was thinking that would be the ideal solution, if they can't get it off with one hand then they'd have to break into the car and set the alarm off, which is probably enough to stop them isn't it?

Exactly. So pulling the fuse should theoretically be enough.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

^ Yeah that too, even if they suspect you've taken the fuse out they'd have to have a spare fuse with them, and would still have to set the alarm off to get in and replace the fuse. The port block thing would be a more convenient fix though, so you don't have to worry about messing with fuses whenever you take it for a service, or worse if you actually have a problem and need to check fault codes. This is assuming that the port block is easy to open / remove with a key or something.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance on the issue of cars being stolen/started via the OBD port.

Does this apply to all ford's fitted with push button start?

I understand that my 1.6 titanium nav is far less desirable to theives compared to the ST's but I would like to keep hold of it. 😊

I like the sound of this device & am waiting to see people's opinion as it seems like it could be a good option as I'm a novice when comes to messing about with fuses/electric systems.

^ Yes I think any car with keyless start is vulnerable. I'll wait to see what Geoff thinks of this Databloc thing and if it will do the job I'll be getting one.

I believe it's only the Fiesta that is vulnerable due to the small window in front of the mirrors being in a blind spot for interior alarm sensors.

The Focus would need the main door glass breaking which will set off interior sensors.

• Like 1

I believe it's only the Fiesta that is vulnerable due to the small window in front of the mirrors being in a blind spot for interior alarm sensors.

The Focus would need the main door glass breaking which will set off interior sensors.

If you look at the securemycar video they mention the blind spot and videos of RSs being stolen they have broken the window at the front, obviously for this reason.

You would need more elbows or arms like Mr Tickle to be able to reach the OBD port through the small window on a fiesta.

If you look at the securemycar video they mention the blind spot and videos of RSs being stolen they have broken the window at the front, obviously for this reason.

You would need more elbows or arms like Mr Tickle to be able to reach the OBD port through the small window on a fiesta.

But yet they still manage it somehow.

• Like 1

I doubt any fiestas have been stolen by breaking that window, no owners have reported any broken glass, a master key type device was mentioned in some reports.

That method was explained for the corner of the focus window (which doesn't have that small quarter light) somehow that's become how they get into fiestas, it isn't physically possibly, have a think about how your arm would bend if you put it through that small a hole up to your shoulder, I doubt you could reach the light switch.

Think access through the quarter window in a Fiesta to O.B.D. port is a myth, it's not obviously possible, yet these scum get in, maybe doors not deadlocked ? Glass smashed ? Door locks drilled ?

I was thinking the same thing about someone needing a very long arm or being double jointed to reach through that corner window lol. Maybe it's possible though.

Who says they use a human arm?

• Like 1

Who says they use a human arm?

Trained ferrets? ;)

• Like 2

Glass cutter would be a better choice, Silent and no mess / evidence.

Anti theft window film would stop most smash and rob jobs, pretty much impossible to get in, Fiestas are deadlocked.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club