Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Dash Gauges In Non St Mk3. Part 1

madmole

OK, so half completed and here is how to do it

2015-05-24%2016.05.47.jpg

1) Buy the ST dash guage pod (either form ford or from eBay, like I did)

2) Buy 4 KET 37mm micro digital guages from eBay (I got oil te,p. oil pressure. water temp and boost)

3) Strip the 4 guages from out of their metal shells

4) Cut a piece of smoked perspex to cover the inside of the pod (say 100 x 25mm)

5) Remove the ST gauges from the pod

6) Glue the 4 guages to the persex

7) Remove small bits of pod to allow perspex and guage boards to sit in pod

8) Glues gauges into pod

9) Add black/red 5w 2 core speaker wire (about 1m) to the pod and wire to all black wires and red wires appropriately, this will be the 12v feed

10) Add a 5 core 3 amp cable (about 3m) to the pod and wire a cable to each signal wire from gauges (WRITE DOWN WHICH COLOUR = WHICH GAUGE)

11) Using cable tie secure the wires to the pod

Now the fun bit in car

1) Remove the radio cover (2 screws at base)

2) Remove the CD unit and scree (4 screws_

3) Reach in and releace the tabs on the old dash speaker cover, use a spodger to stop em clipping back in, work your way around

4) Unscrew the old small woofer from the grill and wedge back in dash

5) Drop the 2 wires down throgh the dash and test fit the pod (i had to snip the left cross bar a little)

6) Click the pod into place (perfect fit!)

7) feed the 2 wires down through the dash to come out by passenger footwell

8) replace audio unit and cover

9) Wire redpower wire to ignition fed fuse and black to an earth bolt

10) from inder bonnet use a knife to carefully make a hole in the large wire grommit just to the side of the battery on the bulkhead

11) push through a small length of wire ( i used the 2 core power wire I had cut off when fitting)

12) from inside reach up on the dsash side of the fuse panel, follow the large wire bundle to the gromit and grab the wire you pushed in and pull some into cab

13) tape the 5 core signal wire to that wire

14) from under bonnet pull the wire and signal wire out into engine bay

15) test fit sensors and power up to check

Part 2 will be fitting sensors

So here is the question, who has fitted boost or water temp guages to a MK3 1.6 diesel TDCI and if so where did you tap them?

For oil temp and pressure I have cheated and will use an oil filter adapter

Stephen

• Like 2

looking good well done.i just need a mk3 and im away lol

Hiya

Very nice indeed, not fitted any wiring for mine, i chose a different solution.

Yes, Paul, very nice

Yours was my original inspiration and was gonna use an old ipod to do it, but then I wondered how the OBD port would not drain the battery if I had a bluetooth or wifi unit on there (made that mistake once when I left my heads up display plugged in one night and it flattened the battery)

Also the OBD doesnt measure true values for many things but calculates them. When it comes to oil temp and pressure you want the real values

So I decided to go for the full sensors

S

I guess any guage can be out a small way, Torque Pro depends on how you set it up, i made a mistake with my new order car, Ford have now skimped on the Speakers and the Titanium X no longer has the center speaker, i called yesterday to upgrade to the Sony 10 Speakers but they told me it's now gone into production and can't change, i now have to think about cutting the dash hole out or selling it on. I have templated it though and ill more than lightly put it in at some stage. :)

Wouldn't worry about the centre speaker, its really small, only about 2.5" across, so wont do much and I know a few folks on the US forums have disabled it and claim the sound is better

I suspect the wiring is there and you can just get any speaker and wire it up, its turn on able with Focccus

Paul, what OBD adapter do you use and how do you ensure I switches off when the car is stopped?

S

I really really wish my mk4 mondeo had a gauge pod seeing as it is basically the st model

I'd love to fit one myself but the shape of the dash doesnt really look suitable

I want one in my Zetec S after seeing them retro fitted. Its rather beyond my abilities though! I would prefer blue to keep the theme going too but thats just personal preference. Top job there though guys!B)

Stephen its just the basic bluetooth version i will load a pic later. It remained live in the car as i always left it plugged in, never caused any problems.

When i said about the new mk3.5 im getting, the dash cut out for the pod is no longer there, you have to order the 10 speaker system so thats why i will have to cut the dash to refit the pod to my new focus.

That's a bummer then Paul, I wouldn't drill the dash, just mount a normal 52mm triple pod on the dash and route cable down through a vent

Or get the KET 37mm gauges and mount them, lower profile that way

• 3 years later...

hello. How did you make the hole in the dash to make to gauges fit ?

Mine had a grill there covering the speaker, pop grill out, clip ST pod in the same hole. No need to cut. If you don't have a grill in the centre of the dash I personally wouldn't even think of cutting one

thanks for your reply. I asked if my garage would like to cut it out. they are thinking about it and whether it is possible

13 hours ago, Esli said:

thanks for your reply. I asked if my garage would like to cut it out. they are thinking about it and whether it is possible

make teplate and cut 🙂 its not that hard. and no ned think about ( garage)

there is around 1cm mistake adjusting around gauges cover.

• 3 years later...
On 5/24/2015 at 5:33 PM, madmole said:

OK, so half completed and here is how to do it

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t679/divermole/Focus/2015-05-24%2016.05.47.jpg

1) Buy the ST dash guage pod (either form ford or from ebay, like I did)

2) Buy 4 KET 37mm micro digital guages from ebay (I got Oil te,p. oil pressure. water temp and boost)

3) Strip the 4 guages from out of their metal shells

4) Cut a piece of smoked perspex to cover the inside of the pod (say 100 x 25mm)

5) Remove the ST gauges from the pod

6) Glue the 4 guages to the persex

7) Remove small bits of pod to allow perspex and guage boards to sit in pod

😎 Glues gauges into pod

9) Add black/red 5w 2 core speaker wire (about 1m) to the pod and wire to all black wires and red wires appropriately, this will be the 12v feed

10) Add a 5 core 3 amp cable (about 3m) to the pod and wire a cable to each signal wire from gauges (WRITE DOWN WHICH COLOUR = WHICH GAUGE)

11) Using cable tie secure the wires to the pod

Now the fun bit in car

1) Remove the radio cover (2 screws at base)

2) Remove the CD unit and scree (4 screws_

3) Reach in and releace the tabs on the old dash speaker cover, use a spodger to stop em clipping back in, work your way around

4) Unscrew the old small woofer from the grill and wedge back in dash

5) Drop the 2 wires down throgh the dash and test fit the pod (i had to snip the left cross bar a little)

6) Click the pod into place (perfect fit!)

7) feed the 2 wires down through the dash to come out by passenger footwell

😎 replace audio unit and cover

9) Wire redpower wire to ignition fed fuse and black to an earth bolt

10) from inder bonnet use a knife to carefully make a hole in the large wire grommit just to the side of the battery on the bulkhead

11) push through a small length of wire ( i used the 2 core power wire I had cut off when fitting)

12) from inside reach up on the dsash side of the fuse panel, follow the large wire bundle to the gromit and grab the wire you pushed in and pull some into cab

13) tape the 5 core signal wire to that wire

14) from under bonnet pull the wire and signal wire out into engine bay

15) test fit sensors and power up to check

Part 2 will be fitting sensors

So here is the question, who has fitted boost or water temp guages to a MK3 1.6 diesel TDCI and if so where did you tap them?

For oil temp and pressure I have cheated and will use an oil filter adapter

Stephen

Mate I’m looking at this mod on my 16 diesel focus after purchasing the ST kit. The pods look slick and your post is really informative. Cheers man! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club