Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stone Chips

ChillyWilly

Hi,

I've got a year old race red ST-2 which is suffering from several stone chips on the bonnet and front spoiler. I was going to buy a touch up pen from a Ford dealer, but have just impulse bought a kit from Halfords. It contains red primer and the colour coat. There was no clear coat included though.

Will it need a clear coat on top or is it not necessary on small chips? Anyone used one of these Halfords kits before?

Cheers.

If its the standard race red then there is no laquer coating on top, hence the lack of a pen in the kit. Laquer coatings are usually only on cars with metallic or pearlescent paintwork as they are harder to repaint, and easier to degrade in weather, otherwise.

Chipex is the best for stone chips, I literally can't ever get a good finish with normal touch up pens

• 3 weeks later...

Would chipex work ok on a panther black?, and does anyone know the colour code?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Chipex works on all colour cars, Your colour code will be on the inside of the door

You can also get your paint code and name by visiting Ford ETIS and entering your reg

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks both. Is the general consensus chipex is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 1 month later...

I got round to having a go at the stone chips earlier this week. i wasn't 100% happy about the colour of the Halfords paint. Although it looked ok on the brush, it just seemed a bit dull after application and a bit of drying time. I decided to get a touch-up brush from Ford, and have just been to collect it as they had to order it in.

I'm a bit confused now. As per my original post, the Halfords version had primer and colour coat, but no laquer. The Ford version has the colour coat, but also includes a laquer. Can anyone clarify for me if I should use the laquer or not? The fella in the parts department said I'd need to use it, but I don't know if he was guessing a bit.

Can anyone help with the best way do do touch-ups? The version I'm trying (from a Youtube video) is put primer on if down to metal, using a cocktail stick rather than a brush...let dry 24hrs...add layers of colour coat, again using a cocktail stick, until a little proud of surface...after drying a few days, carefully rub down with 2000 or 2500grit wet&dry, keeping wet, until level with surface...polish out.

I'm waiting to get the wet&dry which I'll stick on to a flat surface, maybe the end of a pencil. If fact, as I type, it's just dropped through the letterbox.

Can anyone comment on the technique or offer any advice?

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club