Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EAC fail

HAB

Hi all,

Driving up the M1 the other day my car startted to misfire and the engine warning light came on. I have had the same issue at the start of the year and replaced the plugs and coil pack which fixed the problem untill the other day. I decided to try changing the coil pack again which didn't fix the problem. So I thought I'd try to change the plugs. On the way to buy some plugs the EAC fail came on. I have had this problem before just after i brought the car 6 years ago. I took it back to ford and they said they replaced the Throttle housing.

Does anyone have any ideas what the possible casue of this problem can be. I've just ordered a pc based diagnostics system and hopefully this will shed some light on any error codes. I'm quite prepared to have a go at most things my self if it will save me some money.

Anyone have any ideas on what the potential problem is here? anyone else had a similar problem?

Any help on this would be very much appreiated.

I have a Fiesta Zetec 1.4l 53 plate.

Thanks.

I've been reading up on this and some people have reported with K&N air filters. I fitted a K&N air filter to my car in april, does could this possibly be the cause. If it has been doing it's job to well and have become slightly clogged could this cause an EAC fail message? I'm certain it could be a cause of the misfire but don't really know if it could cause the EAC fail as well.

Thanks again.

Ok so I changed the spark plugs yesterday and the misfire problem has now gone away. I have not seen the EAC fail again since the other day. Can faulty spark plugs really cause an EAC fail message?

I checked the air filter and that seems fine. It looks hardly used and it has been in for four months now so I don't think that had anything to do with the problem.

The only thing is the car does not seem to accelerate as powerfully as it used to. could it be because the engine has been misfireing that the engine management has altered to suit the misfire and will take time to adjust back to the car running normally?

any help at all on any of this would be really helpfull here guys.

Thanks.

I would suggest that your lambda probe is now dirty, and would respond to a fuel additive, known as "FORTE", which you just add to a tank-load of standard petrol. (don't ever use super-unleaded, as the ECU cannot adjust to it). The additive is just a cleaner/decoke agent/upper cylinder lubricant/injector cleaner/lambda probe cleaner, and can clean the top face of the catalyst. Some mechanics use 2 bottles of it to a tank-ful, in severe cases. I buy it at my local Ford dealership, at £7.50p + VaT. They also do a diesel additive at the same price, and I used that with my diesel YARIS, and Rover 25 TDi, to good effect, for 8 years. The petrol version is also quick to show its effect, and I get about 2 MPG more after using it in my Fiesta Mk 6.5 1.25, even with only 3600 miles on the clock.

Im not 100% sure!... But I read somewhere that unplugging the battery for an hour or so will reset the ECU and when you start it again it'll "Re-learn" itself... if that makes sense? That might cancel out ECU problems

Did you check the HT leads? When you keep replacing the spark plugs are you sure your not temporarily, accidently fixing the HT lead connection which becomes loose later on, causing a missfire?

My mates Fiesta was misfiring and would start up really lumpy, they replaced the rotary part of the distributor and all is good now.

Sorry if none of this helped. Im a half n00b when it comes to Engines

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replys for this. It's been a few weeks now since I replaced the spark plugs and so far so good. The car is no longer spluttering when accelerating. I don't think that it is the leads because if it was then it would have cured the problem when I changed the coil pack or when I took the plugs out to inspect them. The problem only went away when I changed the plugs so I'm assuming that all the Issues were caused by this.

I have not had an EAC fail message since I have changed the plugs. I have added redex to the fuel to hopefully clean the sensors etc. I have only put one lot through so far but I will put another lot through when I have to fill up again which should be some time this week.

I replaced the plugs (NGKs) with Bosch super 4s. They were twice the price of NGKs but I think that they should last longer and having 4 electordes to spark to should also mean that I get better fuel economy and better performance.

I'll try and keep you all posted with how things go.

Happy Motoring

• 2 years later...

Hi there I have got the exact same problem EAC fail on my fiesta, just wondering if changing the spark plugs fixed this problem long term?

• 3 months later...

I had this problem on a 1.4 zetec petrol Fiesta, brought second hand from the garage, after three months being repaired eventually the ECU had to be replaced, its being working for 4 months since so it may require a replacement ECU worst case scenario. The EAC fail problem is a git to say the least.

• 2 years later...

I've had this problem with my 52 plate fiesta diesel its happened twice in the last 2 month normal servicing hasn't done the trick but I read somewhere that there might be a problem with the throttle body loom and there is a replacement and I was wondering if any 1 has done this. Also does any1 know if a 3 door mk6 bumper would fit the 5 door, thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi folks, looking for some wisdom here....Something really strange is happening with my Ford Fiesta 2002 (1.4 petrol). 

It starts fine, but if I drive it around for more than 10 minutes and turn it off, it won't start again and flashes EAC FAIL message. All I have to do is sit in the car and wait 10-15 min and then it starts again. It seems like it needs time to get its breath to start again... it can't be throttle body or a central wiring fault, right?

Any idea what to do?

Hello and welcome Kundal

This is a long dead thread. Last post was 21.03.2014 until your post today.

You are in the correct section of the forum for your car. So may I suggest that you create a new thread. You will probably get more answers that way.

Good luck Kundel

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2016 at 5:13 PM, kernul said:

Hi folks, looking for some wisdom here....Something really strange is happening with my Ford Fiesta 2002 (1.4 petrol). 

It starts fine, but if I drive it around for more than 10 minutes and turn it off, it won't start again and flashes EAC FAIL message. All I have to do is sit in the car and wait 10-15 min and then it starts again. It seems like it needs time to get its breath to start again... it can't be throttle body or a central wiring fault, right?

Any idea what to do?

hi  kernul my car is doing the same ,did you find a fix for this