Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing Drl's..

Sonicmouse

I've bought some DRL's from China, they're fixed to the fog lights so they are circle shaped. They've sent me them with all the appropriate wires but me not being technical at this kind of thing, I need some help.

I need someone to break it down for a simpleton like me! I've asked them for help and they sent me the below..

For the installation method,i send you here for the connect way.
The drl have 3 lines, red, black,and white.
Red line-----ACC
Black line-----Negative of battery
White line-----Headlamp ( at night when headlamp turn on,the drl will dimming)
along with the attached image. Can anyone help?

post-63665-0-26275800-1433406811_thumb.j

Thats the best wiring diagram ive ever seen!:lol:

Stoney will be along soon to explain how to wire them in.

• Like 1

Thats the best wiring diagram ive ever seen! :lol:

Stoney will be along soon to explain how to wire them in.

lmao I know, I was looking at it and couldn't decide if she drew me a pretty picture or not..

Either Lenny or Pree have a good guide.

They're actually quite easy to fit.

You will need to make a small hole inside the fog light mount on the bumper to accommodate the extra wiring.

your best off running the switch off the side lights rather than the head lamps, my DRLs light up a good chunk of the road in the dark, if it was twilight you might end up dazzling other drivers. in that awkward getting dark but not dark enough for headlamps moment or in dim tunnels.

Other than that it sounds fine, mine came with a control box I mounted under fuse box, hooked up to an ACC on in the fuse box using a piggy back fuse to avoid any issues, ground off the convenient point just behind the box, then splice in to the side light positive wire on the headlamp connector.

ran the OS DRL wires over the radiator where an existing wire loom can be found tucked away under the botten lock, then down to the DRL

My bumper had a slit In there already to run the wire through so you might not need to cut any holes

Mine are fitted where fogs go. With the relay auto of kit connect the drl to the connections on the wires. Then with mine I connected the white switch wire to the dipped beam or you can do it to the side light. Then you just connect the positive and negative directly to the battery.

post-56336-143344630528_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Red wire to battery positive terminal.

Black wire for earth to battery negative (or earth to any bolt/screw on car chassis)

White to either dipped headlight live feed (drl will dim only when the headlights are on) or side light live feed (drl will dim when sidelights are on).

• Like 1

Clive, if he does that surely they'll be on permanently. Shouldn't the red wire be fed from an ignition auxiliaries circuit?

No, the drl wiring kit contains a relay that only switches on when ignition is on (white wire).

• Like 1

Clive, if he does that surely they'll be on permanently. Shouldn't the red wire be fed from an ignition auxiliaries circuit?

I thought that when wired mine. Wired them the way stoney says and they work great.

No, the drl wiring kit contains a relay that only switches on when ignition is on (white wire).

Sorry, but I don't understand. If there are only three wires and the white is used to dim the drls how does the ignition control the switching on and off?

If the white wire goes to the side lights then it will only pickup current when you turn the lights on which would dim the DRLs. If you run the main power from a positive terminal or an always on feed, then it will always be on surely because none of the other three will detect ignition on.

I know mine works perfectly connected to an ignition on fuse, kinda interesting if that control module can see the difference between ignition on and always on just from the side lights tho.

Mine is connected to the battery and come one when I start the car. I think it's to do with the relay and the drop in voltage when you start the car.

Mine is connected to the battery and come one when I start the car. I think it's to do with the relay and the drop in voltage when you start the car.

If it works connected that way it must be detecting the rise in battery voltage when the alternator starts charging. If so that seems a bit 'iffy' to me though. Personally I'd want it sourced from an ignition-controlled circuit.

• Like 1

If it works connected that way it must be detecting the rise in battery voltage when the alternator starts charging. If so that seems a bit 'iffy' to me though. Personally I'd want it sourced from an ignition-controlled circuit.

Id agree, a relay would only kick in when something triggers it, relays being like an automatic switch, one circuit making another circuit, since nothing is triggering it then I cant see what is setting it off, other than the above, detecting an increase in voltage. If it works it works but things like this bother me, I MUST understand how it works!!! lol :D

I MUST understand how it works!!! lol :D

I agree with you Darren. As an electronics engineer I have very firm views on what is, or is not, good practice and I want to know how this works. If it is, indeed, detecting a voltage change at the battery I imagine this has been done to simplify installation but personally I wouldn't choose to design something that way.

• Like 1

hey guys

sorry to hijack the thread but I am having some problems with my drl's

ive got my drl's installed in my fog lamps and they are wired into my fog lamps so they come on when they are activated

I may change this to my side lights in the future

but I have been having a strange problem

now when I have them on with the engine running after a few mins one of them blinks on and off

but when I have them on with out the engine on there stay on fine I cant get my head around it??

so when im driving after a few mins 1 blinks on and off but when im in traffic and the stop start kicks in and cuts the engine off it stays on fine

so at the moment I cant really use them any ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeAyWjx9acM

here is a video of what I mean

cheers

might be worth looking in to your voltage on the battery, I cant imagine it would be high enough to stop it without damaging it unless its heat related, perhaps the controller has a thermal cut off. But then if its 12v LEDs with a narrow tolerance then perhaps 14 or more might not be doing it any favours.

To find out for sure you need to isolate it from everything else. So first off disconnect it and run it directly off the battery terminal, with both engine on and off, if its voltage related or perhaps a controller issue the problem will still be there, if its something else then itll work, in which case you would want to try running them from ACC and dim via side lights or something like that if it has a controller that is.

what DRLs do you have and how are they wired in, it kinda sounds like you have just put in a LED in to the fog lamp and turn them on manually via the fog switch?

hey

thanks for the reply

for some reason it wont let me link my youtube video?

if you want to see what drls they are search "crispy racing" in youtube and when your on my channel its the last video I uploaded

I have simply spliced them into the existing fog lamp wires using those blue wire clip/splicers

I think I will have to try and have it direct to the battery and see how it works then,

I did have it wired to the side lights at 1st and the same thing happened

so I wired to the fogs and its still the same

cheers

Hi I have fitted a set of day runners on my 10 plate focus and I took the feed for the day runners from the AAC fuse via the piggy back wire. The drl can either dim or turn off when the side or head lights are turned on.

hey

thanks for the reply

for some reason it wont let me link my youtube video?

if you want to see what drls they are search "crispy racing" in youtube and when your on my channel its the last video I uploaded

I have simply spliced them into the existing fog lamp wires using those blue wire clip/splicers

I think I will have to try and have it direct to the battery and see how it works then,

I did have it wired to the side lights at 1st and the same thing happened

so I wired to the fogs and its still the same

cheers

One thing you need to be aware of is that by wiring the drl into your foglight loom you have made them secondary foglights NOT drl's.

By doing this you are in the situation where you are pulled by my bretheren they will (quite rightly) be considered as foglights as they are operated by the foglight switch.

Under the Construction and Use section of the Road Traffic Act use of front foglights in anything other than severely restricted visibility is an offence.

I strongly recommend you splice them to a sidelight feed asap or at least desist from using them except when it's legal to do so or restrict use to off-road only.

Sorry to thump my drum on this one but it is a particular peeve of mine even if it is a law that many Officers tend to disregard (except for99.9% of Traffic Officers (and me it would seem)).

• Like 2

One thing you need to be aware of is that by witing the drl into your foglight loom you have made them secondary foglights NOT drl's.

By doing this you are in the situation where you are pulled by my bretheren they will (quite rightly) be considered as foglights as they are operated by the foglight switch.

Under the Construction and Use section of the Road Traffic Act use of front foglights in anything other than severely restricted visibility is an offence.

I strongly recommend you splice them to a sidelight feed asap or at least desist from using them except when it's legal to do so or restrict use to off-road only.

Sorry to thump my drum on this one but it is a particular peeve of mine even if it is a law that many Officers tend to disregard (except for99.9% of Traffic Officers (and me it would seem)).

tell you what would also be really useful getting people to DIM their DRLs at dusk, the number of numpties driving about with DRLs running at their brightest as it starts to get dark is increasing, folk really need to know that DRLs are not substitutes for side lights!
  • Like 1

Yep got to agree I've also had a few range rovers with head lights on and full drls blinding the hell out of me I hate the things now

• Like 1

yes fair enough

as I said in earlier post I did have them spliced into the side lights but with the one blinking i

tired to see if they would work off the fogs

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club