Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Over Filled

Trewithy

Taking my car in next week for its 1000 mile check over. My oil level is considerably above the fill mark which surprised me as I thought they would put in exactly the right amount of oil in the factory. If you take the difference between the max and min levels it is about half of that above the full mark and the level hasn't changed since I checked it soon after getting the car.

Is an oil change part of the check-up? If not should I mention it when I take the car in.

I would mention it. Could have caused serious damage if you were unlucky

I would mention it. Could have caused serious damage if you were unlucky

Hmm Mine is like that too - now I'm worried.

Built 21 Nov 2014 drat that's a Friday car then

Every time whatever car I've owned has come back from a Ford service it's always been over filled with oil. I don't get it. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Same, mine are always a bit over the max.

Mine over max when i got it.... can supposedly kill cat converters

It can cause overheating & oil pressure issues.

Should only damage cat if the oil makes its way into the combustion chambers or the exhaust shouldnt it?

Too much oil can push it's way back above the piston rings & combust, resulting in plumes of blue smoke & other issues such as fouled spark plugs.

• Like 1

the title of this post reminds me of someone who didnt know what a dipstick was for, and topped her oil up on her mini until it was full to the filler cap!! she spent a fortune on oil not knowing !! lol

needless to say she couldnt start it, this was years ago but i never forgot having to drain it all out.

• Like 2

Noticed my new ST was over the max too.

OP, please let me know what Ford say at your check up. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Ford filled mine right up to the top, maybe even over the max but a couple mm. It's corrected now

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

It is always better over filled (to an extent!) than under filled, but indeed it should not be more than 1 or 2mms over the MAX mark, especially coming from the manufacturer!

My car was in today for a check-up. The technician said that it was normal for new cars to be over filled with oil to allow for increased oil usage during the engine break-in period and my oil level was OK.

• Like 1

Ford filled my well 2 litre over had to drain it out

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

I noticed mine was slightly over too, from new and from the 2 oil changes I've had (one at 5000 miles and one at the first service). Never had any problems but I'll mention it next time I take the car in to the dealer.

Not sure if this will cuase any issues to a Fiesta but on the Alfa forums on their (fiat) new Multi Air engines, over filling the oil has caused alot of serious issues with alot of engines needing to be rebuilt so it can be a big issue.

If its over filled the oil pressure can be dangerous! My oil cap blew off and covered my whole engine bay....

I was driving down the M6 and smoke started to appear thought my engine was on fire ahhah

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club