Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Regarding Heater Resistor Pack

FiestaGirl2015

Hi, I just wondered if somebody could help me please. I have a 2004 1.4 Zetec Fiesta and the resistor pack on the heater control keeps failing. I have purchased two replacements from eBay and both have failed within 6 months. I am wondering whether a genuine FORD part might be better quality and last longer or whether it is just something that I have to keep replacing and accept. Ford Garage want around £120 to fit the part when you can purchase them for around £8 on the web and fit myself for nothing. I don't want to damage other things by using cheap parts but I also do not want to spend over £100 to have the same quality thing fitted. Many thanks for any advice.

Check your pollen filter and your actual fan. As your resistor pack is Cooled by the fan meaning if it's clogged up or damaged then it won't be cooling

Many thanks for the info - could I ask how I check the pollen filter, I am not sure where this is or how I get to it. Thanks again.

The pollen filter is in the passenger footwell. Remove the vented plastic cover that continues from the centre console by undoing one screwclip thing. You'll then see a rectangular hatch going vertically held shut with 4 Torq screws. Remove the screws and pull the cover off

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am ever so sorry for the delay in coming back. My friend changed the pollen filter and resistor pack again (supplied by Ford garage) and the resistor pack has failed in just 3 weeks this time. When we purchased the parts, the garage said that the pollen filter would not cause this to fail??? although we changed it anyway. They have said now that we would have to put the car in for further investigation as the resistor pack rarely fails when they replace them? I just wondered if there might be any further ideas? Thank you very much indeed.

The resistor pack is cooled by the air flow, as above in my post. if the filters blocked, it won't have enough air flow :)

It could be a faulty fan assembly causing issues

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, 

Newbie here. 

Mate has a 2004 Fiesta UK spec. As above the fan heater stopped working on positions 1-3, but 4 was working fine. 

I've replaced the resistor pack and the pollen filter, and the resistor pack has gone again. 

I've bought a replacement fan, but stuck how to replace it. 

Also I've read that maybe the fusebox may need to be unbolted, so would want to disconnect the battery

But I'm assuming I will need the radio code if I disconnect the battery

I've got a photo of the radio if it helps. 

Can anyone please please help? 

I don't know if that radio needs a code or not. It's a kind of built in one that is not interchangable with other models of car so it may not have one - but I really don't know. In my experience on other Ford radios I have been able to get a code off the internet for small money (eg £2).

I had a MK1 Focus which kept blowing resistor packs. Then I found the bearings were stiff in the motor. I then got the bearings in the fan motor running smoothly with some oil in the right place (do not get it near the carbon brushes) and all was fine after that for a few years. So you might not need a new fan motor.  it might just need the existing fan motor bearings attended to. On the mk1 focus the fan motor was behind the glovebox, no idea where it is in the fiesta.

Yes, you'll need a code for the radio on a Mk6 Fiesta.   Some have an M serial number which can be generated for free.  Later ones have a V serial number which you'll have to pay for, around £1 or so on eBay.

Cheers guys, so looks like I may need a code for the radio if I disconnect the battery. To get the serial number, do I need to remove the radio to find the serial number? 

I'll have a look at the current fan and see if it can be regreased. 

I think it maybe behind the central console, but unsure. 

Is there a Haynes manual available for this Fiesta? 

Thanks for the replies 

1 hour ago, Muppet9966 said:

Cheers guys, so looks like I may need a code for the radio if I disconnect the battery. To get the serial number, do I need to remove the radio to find the serial number? 

I'll have a look at the current fan and see if it can be regreased. 

I think it maybe behind the central console, but unsure. 

Is there a Haynes manual available for this Fiesta? 

Thanks for the replies 

If you hold buttons 1 & 6 on the stereo it should bring up various numbers on the display, software version etc.  You're looking for a 6 digit number with an M or V at the beginning.  If this fails, the serial number will be on the stereo casing if you can remove it.

The blower on the Mk6 is behind the top centre vents.  If you remove the glovebox and look to the right, you should see about 4 or 5 screws holding on a domed plastic cover, the blower is behind there.

There is a Haynes for these but it's probably no more use than forums and YouTube for this particular job.

I have the haynes manual. I am at work and the book is at home. After my post yesterday I had a look at the manual (when I was typing the post I forgot I had it).  From memory I think it said:  remove glovebox. there was then something about unbolting the fusebox so it could hang down on wires (but no need to disconnect any wires). then something about unbolting an air vent duct above that. Then look to the right and see end of blower motor. Disconnect motor wires.  Then undo some bolts and nuts to remove motor, but there was something about turning the motor when part way out in order for the bits sticking out on the end to clear some obsticle.

• 9 months later...

Thanks TomsFocus and isetta, 

I'm actually going to get around to doing this now. But want to disconnect the battery incase something shorts. 

I have the radio serial number as per the method above, but does any one know of what sites to get the code incase its needed and doesn't work after connecting the battery back?

Thank you guys, 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club