Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Phil & Tom's Big Scottish Adventure

Philf1

Well after months of planning a route, finding post codes for the sat navs, booking hotels and identifying points of interest photo opportunities our road trip around Scotland is nearly here. Me and my son Tom are leaving Halifax on Sunday morning in our Fiesta ST 180's and have 5 days of driving planned going up the west coast, across the north and back down past Loch Ness and Cairngorms to Edinburgh and home. Approximately 200-300 miles and some 6 hours driving each day.

The GoPro, stills camera, two way radios (in case of poor mobile signal), sat navs and various bits and bobs including several charges are all ready. We're now hoping for good weather, not concerned about it being hot but hopefully it will stay dry so the views are not obscured by low clouds and the roads are not wet.

I've listed below an overview of our route and will try and post a daily update each evening. The videos will be edited when we get home and I'll post them later, likely to be quite a few hours to view back and edit down to the more interesting and scenic bits.

Day 1 - 344 miles

From Halifax taking the A65 via Skipton, Ingleton to the M6 and M74 stopping off at Lockerbie to visit the memorial. Back on the M74, M8 and M898 past Glasgow. No more motorways now for 5 days.

A82, A83 to Arrochar and onto Inveraray. Then A819, A85, A82 to Glencoe and on to Fort William for our overnight stop.

Day 2 - 203 miles

A quick viewing of Ben Nevis from the Commando memorial then along the A82 to Invergarry. Pick up the A87 to Dornie and Eilean Donan Castle. Then the A890 to the start of Bealach na Ba (Applecross Pass) 3rd highest road in Scotland some 2054 feet above sea level. Search you-tube there are lots of videos of cars driving this road and it looks awesome.

Arriving in Applecross which is on the coast after descending all 2054 feet I suspect the brakes are going to be cooking! We'll then follow the coast road past Cuaig and Sheildaig to pick up the A896, A832 all the way up to Ullapool and the end of day 2.

Day 3 - 204 miles

From Ullapool we will drive along the A99, A9 and A862 to Dingwall, A837 to Lochinver and Ardvrek Castle. You will all recognise this castle even if you don't know the name.

We continue up the coast to Scourie and Durness. Then straight across the north coast on the A836 to Thurso, stop off at Dunnett Head the most northerly point on the UK mainland and onto John O'Groats. Then down the A99 to Wick and our next stop over.

Day 4 - 293 miles

This is our longest day in the highlands so will be quite a challenge. After following the A99, A9 and A862 to Dingwall a quick sortie inland to come out at Drumnadrochit and Urquhart Castle on the shores of Loch Ness. Down the A82 to Fort Augustus. We are then driving back up the other side of the loch on the B862, B851 and minor roads across to Findhorn bridge. Then following the A9, A938, A95 and A939 to Tomintoul and !Removed! Bridge via the second highest road in Scotland at 2133 feet. From !Removed! Bridge via the Cairnwell Pass the highest road at 2198 feet high down to Braemar, the Spittal of Glenshee and across the B950 to Pitlochry and our final nights rest.

Day 5 - 321 miles

Leaving Pitlochry we take minor roads to Kenmore and pick up the A822 to Crieff and Greenloaning before joining the A9 and M9 to Falkirk were we will visit the Kelpies and Falkirk wheel. Then onto the Forth bridges and bikers grove cafe.

Then back to Halifax.

Total is over 1350 miles but with a few unplanned detours and re-runs to get photos and videos I expect it to be nearer 1500 miles in total. Probably need new tyres and brakes by the time we get home.

If any of you guys up in Scotland see a blue and a white Fiesta ST along this route give us a wave and we'll stop and have a chat with you.

I hope this also might inspire some of you guys to plan something similar, perhaps you've already done a road trip. Let me know where you went and how you got on.

• Like 4

That sounds awesome!
Really looking forward to the footage, might have to steal your plans and do it myself one day (hopefully with an ST), always fancied Scotland for a drive.

Heading down to Cornwall next Saturday for a week, but it's not an exciting 6 hour drive down, those 50pmh zones on M1 are going to pee me off.

I'll be getting plenty of photo's & video but not from driving, going to be flying my drone and getting Timelapse videos through DSLR.

Sounds Excellent Phil mate,

I look forward to updates :)

Looks like it'll be a great week, hope the weather is good for you (although we are talking about Scotland). Looking forward to the vids and photos :)

• Like 1

Haha yeh the weather is probably the only thing that could spoil it

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Watch the A9 as its average speed cameras (28 of them if I remember correctly!) and the dingbats who STILL overtake into oncoming traffic!

Sounds good Phil, I'll be watching this thread with interest as we're off to the Highlands at the end of July for a week. (Strathpeffer)

Ullapool, applecross (& the pass), Fort Augustus, Loch Ness are on our list of visits.

Planning on stopping at Pitlochry for lunch on the way up - live in North East so alot closer than you! (Originally from Uppermill 😊)

The A9 is now controlled by average speed cameras (they work) but if weather's nice the views are good.

It's been a long time since I was in Ullapool, not sure if the RAF still come in low down the loch but if so it's impressive seeing a tornado almost skim the tip of the water! 😊

Day 4's gonna be interesting.............and tiring! :blink: :) A few nice bends for you B)

No full-time speed cameras on the A9 north of Inverness............not that you'll be speeding anyway ;)

Have fun.

[quote name="Turvey" post="494877"

No full-time speed cameras on the A9 north of Inverness............not that you'll be speeding anyway ;)

Have fun.

Perish the thought

I've ridden some of the roads you have picked on the bike. You've picked a few crackers!

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Lots of research on you tube helped

This sounds good fun, I have spent a few holidays around Scotland and surrounding islands.
Probably too late now but on day 1 try the A814 from Dumbarton to Arrochar instead of the A82.
When you go past Faslane Sub base at Garelochead and head to Arrochar, you will then loose your fillings and all four wheels will leave the tarmac if driven quick enough.
It's not a fast road but a !Removed! twisty & choppy one.

If your into military hardware then Faslane/Garelochhead is worth a look.

Sounds like a great trip! I've never been to Scotland...or Wales...or Ireland....:lol:

I am so jealous! I did two great trips around Scotland about 5 or so years ago covering many of the same roads. I'm hoping to make another foray north of the border within the next year.

I discovered loads of weird military sites and the scenery is just amazing. Ardvreck castle is one of my absolute favourite places in the UK... unfortunately 600miles is a bit too far to be a frequent visitor!

Just to add.... I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Well jell haha! Hope you have a great holiday and drive - stay safe!

So day one is done and we have arrived in Fort William. Wow this country is amazing. Every corner brings another outstanding view and the roads are so quiet compared to back home. Weather has been pretty good, few showers but dat ended with bright sunshine and blue skies.

We went to the Lockerbie to see the memorial a very emotive place and the list of casualties brings home what a disaster it was.

post-38083-0-88786600-1434318205_thumb.j

Still snow on the tops of the mountains, yes it might be June but it is definitely snow. Who needs the Alps when there are views like these.

post-38083-0-15943800-1434318341_thumb.j

We've been for a curry for our evening meal, can't leave West Yorkshire totally behind can we? Hottest vindaloo I've ever had, ouch. Can't say I'm looking forward to Ghandi's revenge tomorrow.

Hopefully day two will continue the same and we're getting into the real high mountains as well.

I'll update again tomorrow evening.

• Like 3

Looks awesome, enjoy yourselves lads! and leave that bleedin scottish weather up there! dont want any bring back with you!

• Like 2

Rest and be thankful a fantastic view point.

Looks like a Kuga at the bottom of image 2? Is that the viewpoint ;) haha

• Like 1

Extremely scenic places & sights, as well as no annoying traffic - sounds like a winner to me. It's sounding pretty tempting, hopefully I'll go someday.

Day 2 and we're up in Ullapool. Small fishing town and ferry terminal. Weather has been kind again warm and sunny most of the day.

A picture for those of you forces guys the commando memorial with Ben Nevis in the background

post-38083-143439982296_thumb.jpg

And our motors

post-38083-143439986406_thumb.jpg

We then went on to the infamous Applecross pass. OMG what a road that is rising from sea level to over 2000' then back to sea level 1in 5 hairpins the works. If you ever get to Scotland you must drive it. Unforgettable.

post-38083-143439998378_thumb.jpg

post-38083-143440004669_thumb.jpg

Sorry some ugly mug got in the way haha

More tomorrow

• Like 2

Sounds like you're having a good roadtrip. Give us a wave when you get to John O'Groats ;)

Day 3 started well. Good weather again and more great roads and views. Went to Ardvark castle, what a great place, not much left after 400+ years of neglect. Beautiful location.

post-38083-0-06462200-1434489774_thumb.j

Then about 1pm the rain started, well this is Scotland and we were warned. Pity the rain persisted all day.

We drove up to Durness then across the north coast. These A roads are single track with passing places most of the way. With the wet narrow roads took us a little longer then expected. But we got to Dunnett head, The UK mainlands most northerly point

post-38083-0-06863100-1434490214_thumb.j

then on to John O'Groats.

post-38083-0-50474800-1434490390_thumb.j

Finally we bedded down in Wick. Hopefully the weather will improve tomorrow.

• Like 1

Berriedale awaits you :-) Fingers crossed for a nice day for you ;-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club