Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonit Is Not Opening At All, Cant Hear Latch Either?

Lukeyt123

Hey guys, i have googled this but couldnt find one with the same issue as me, i have been opening it up fine, then took it to the garage to check if was a camchain or belt and couldnt open the bonit lol. The key turns but feels like its turning nothing? cant hear any clicks etc. Not sure if i can fix it without breaking something like the grill etc, garage quoted me like £100 max to sort it out and replace grill. But if i can fix it myself with next to no cost then why not. Im no where near a mechanic infact im terrible but maybe its something someone knows how to fix???

It's a cambelt on the 1.6 TDCi btw. Interval is supposed to be 100k or 10 years but I'm not sure I'd leave it that long myself lol.

I was told by garage yesterday it's 150k or 15 years on this model? Top is chain and belt is bottom?? Also like most guides it doesn't say how to get into the bonit? I literally cannot get into it the key doesn't do anything. Need a way I opening and then fixing it

Yeah that's right, theres a chain between the camshafts, but the cam to crank is a belt.

15 years/150k is far too much tbh, not sure where they got that from. This is from the Ford service schedule for the 1.6 TDCi:

Camshaft drive belt, tensioner and idlers Every 125 000 miles/10 years - Renew

I can't help with the bonnet though I'm afraid.

Google focus bonnet catch or look on the focus st owners forum for info. Its a tricky one as sometimes you can open it and sometimes you cannot. Cost me just over £100 at Ford to get mine sorted

Try pushing the key in further while turning. I've opened a few of my customers cars this way.

The plastic rod at the rear of the barrel can sometime slip away its location

The plastic rod came away from the barrel on my Cmax when i fitted a new grille. My mechanic mate managed to undo the lock mechanism from under the car reaching up with his ratchet.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I did try pushing it and wiggling it for a while but then gave up. Doesn't seem like the key is gonna work and I'm gonna need to get it open another way. If worse is worse I'd pay the 70 quid or whatever to have it done but might as well try and fix it. Just seems odd that it doesn't have any resistance like it's not attached to anything

The same happened to our 2000 model a few weeks ago and after trying to drill it out (and failing miserably) we put it in the garage for the work and it came to £130 all inclusive (inc. new used lock).

Too bad it failed the MOT a few days after!! That's my own fault though, I was being too optimistic.

I had a quote for like 70 quid where I am which isnt bad. I think I'm going to get the cambelt done so will probably chuck it in at same time in next week or so. Let's hope I don't need to top up oil before that

I had a quote for like 70 quid where I am which isnt bad. I think I'm going to get the cambelt done so will probably chuck it in at same time in next week or so. Let's hope I don't need to top up oil before that

That was my problem actually!! Our Focus has quite a bad oil leak so it was fairly worrying when the bonnet couldn't be opened and thus the oil not checked/topped up.

As long as your car isn't leaking oil though, it should be fine as I've never known a Ford to burn more than 500ml every 1,000 miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club