Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spider Tuning 30% Off Forum Code

SNC

Well the good news

I have worked out exactly how to pop of the connector with out removing anything in about 1 min. You need a long thin metal pusher about 30cm long and up to 5mm wide (I used a bycyle spoke at the start, which will work if its brand new and straight, but wont if it has any bend), you stick that down the gap just in front of the fuel filter to rest on top of the yellow catch you can see with a bright torch. Then you move the 2 flexi pipes that are between the engine and the battery case a bit, stick hand down and under the fuel filter and push it through all the silicon drip tubes and grab the sender. You then just press down on the spoke on the yellow tab and it releases. Fiddly but very doable. you just end up with scratches on your wrist from a circlip on a hose

Now I have the correct prodder and know how, I can do it in 1 min. Shame it took 2.5 hours to work it out

The bad news, the plug on the pressure sender doesn't appear to be the same as the Mk2.5 and so the spider harness doesn't look like it will fit. Photos taken and pretty certain Spider will just swap out the harness for one with the correct plug

Everyone assumes that the 1.6 TDCI 115PS Diesel in the focus is the same from the to Mk 2.5 to the 3, It may be the same core, but almost everything around it was changed, Pipe layout, sensor locations etc are all very different, the engine also sits in a different place in the engine bay

• Like 1

Hopefully madmole your getting your new harness sorted.

Just an update I've added all the links to the different Focus versions to the original post and got spider to add the newer 1.5 ecoboost versions to the site.

Also an update on the bluetooth device which as I thought doesn't add any performance gains but instead just gives you another method of changing the settings, but this time without having to lift the bonnet and manually change it. You can change it on the fly using your mobile app and a gives a few more manual adjustments.

You can set the multiple settings from eco mode all the way up to race mode at the touch of a button, you can then leave it in adaptive mode which works how it always has working out when and how much power to deliver, or you can turn adaptive off and you decide exactly how much power you want and when. Also you can set a time delay T0-T90 0 - 90 seconds which is like a warm up timer before full tuning is given after engine start up. Obviously leaving it in adaptive is likely best for engine life in the long run as it won't give all the extra power and boost if the engine isn't ready for it but it does allow you to overwrite all this if you want.

There is also now a preboost setting which Spider said basically gives the map a boost of torque earlier down the range for quicker starts but still maintains a wide power band, so basically it's like a temporary overboost from what you normally get before the power normally kicks in. I'm seriously thinking about getting a third box now and getting this baby on the Fiesta instead of the older spider box.

Here's some of there video's of the new imode Performance Pack in action:

Apparently they reckon my cable will fit, the plug on the car looks very different. But I've not had the chance to spend the time to check again. Hopefully will tomorrow eve

Really the first thing to do is take out the original male connectors attached to the sensors and attach them to the female ports on the harness, if they connect to it then you know the harness' male connectors must connect to the engine sensors. Also I know it sounds daft but make sure you don't try connecting them upside down as the sensor ports have a notch on them that stop you fully inserting the harness connectors if they are the wrong way up.

Honestly I think you probably already know all this but it can't harm to point out :P I promise you it'll be worth it when you finally hear that final click and it's all sorted, I keep having such fun and I know you will too :) good luck

OK, finally had some free time to revisit. The Fuel sensor did fit, although they do look completely different. However the MAP sensor doesn't as mine is a 4 pin and Spiders is a 3 pin. Within 2 minutes of telling them they have a new cable in the post :), first rate service, for reference mine is a SEP 2013 1.6 DV6 tdci 115PS job and the correct cable is a SPD232

Oh and I've got the cable change over on the Fuel sensor to around 2 mins!! :ph34r: even though is hidden far worse than the Mk2/2.5. there is definitely a knack!

I'm convinced this is going to be worth the wait

Just had a personal note from Bernhard Kauffman, Spiders technical engineer that he has personally posted my cable, priority to me for delivery tomorrow. Now that's good service!

• Like 2

Just had a personal note from Bernhard Kauffman, Spiders technical engineer that he has personally posted my cable, priority to me for delivery tomorrow. Now that's good service!

You've got to give it to Spiders customer service they are dedicated to helping. I got my extra harness within 16 hours when I ordered mine, you'll have it in no time if the technical engineers getting involved.

• Like 1

Cable has arrived! now just need to finish work and go fit

Unit is in and calibrated! took 7 mins from unlocking the car to powering up and that included the 3 min wait for the car to quiesce

Now unfortunately got some other stuff to do so will be an hour or 2 before I can go play. Going to start off on ECO and work up

Noticed during the 10 mins I let it idle that fuel went from 0.2 g/h to 0.1 g/h (where it used to be), and I gave it a few revs to 3000rpm after the 10 mins, the first rev had huge stutter around 2-2500 rpm, but after a few slow revs it smoothed out, so expect the unit is learning all the time

Let you know how it goes

S

If all goes well, I'm gonna place an order for myself! Mk2.5 1.6 TDCI 110bhp, hoping to see some good gains :D

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Wow! what a difference! grinning from ear to ear

Did a few drives around the block, she felt as rough as a badgers!, really noisy and spluttery, was beginning to think oh dear, this aint gonna work, But it didn't throw a CEL, so I went for a wider loop, suddenly at around the 3 mile mark, she smoothed out, still had a rough patch around 2500. Carried on and went further as she seemed to be getting better, Bear in mind this is in ECO mode, the lowest setting

Suddenly at 10 miles I came around the roundabout by the McClaren building and bam!, I'd given her the normal amount of pedal, but she lept out the exit, gradually I could feel more grunt, It was low down torque, also noticed she was getting smoother and smoother, started to feel she was faster to respond. Also noticed she was showing higher mpg at constant speed like 80mpg at 30 rather than the normal 68 in 6th

At 30 miles and after a good blat along the A25 over the downs I approached Coldharbour and all my favourite lanes, where I used to drive my old track car (Andy Rousses ex ford works 94 Mondeo) so I pulled in at set her to Fast road 2. BAM! WOW, she feels like a petrol car, and revs out, was exceedingly hard to keep under 4K revs. She flew, even spun the wheels a few times exiting the bends, and she was only 5 seconds slower on my normal test section (the focus handles well, but need stiffer springs and stiffer anti roll bar on rear)

Come back grinning on the motorway where she was doing 75mph at 86 mpg!!!!!. Got home having done 55 miles, most of it pushing the car and accelerating hard and my average MPG has gone UP 3 mpg!!!!!, Engine seems very smooth

So, YES this is a great mod, and I still have 3 higher setting to try out

Some notes. There is still a small amount of clatter at 2500 rpm, but you hear it, not feel it. Hoping this may still smooth out. She start to pull at 1500 and really goes at 2900 to 5000, the HP curve feels like a low revving petrol car, and because of the 6 speed box, you will be changing gears like the clappers. She still has the slow pull away in first (programmed in by Ford), but once in second watch out. She feels faster and definitely pushes harder and the engine feels free whereas before it always felt a little held back. Fast road 2 feels like around 130 HP and 280nm. I wonder if spider will show me the dyno curves they have for each setting

Out for dinner tomorrow eve, but you can bet your life that Saturday I will be going up the settings

Very pleased and very worth it, and I can remove the whole lot in 5 mins (once the engine is cold!)

If you were on the fence about this, don't be, get one!!!

The only negative, why didn't I hang on and get the bluetooth version so I can change it without popping the bonnet!!!!

• Like 1

Wow! what a difference! grinning from ear to ear

Did a few drives around the block, she felt as rough as a badgers!, really noisy and spluttery, was beginning to think oh dear, this aint gonna work, But it didn't throw a CEL, so I went for a wider loop, suddenly at around the 3 mile mark, she smoothed out, still had a rough patch around 2500. Carried on and went further as she seemed to be getting better, Bear in mind this is in ECO mode, the lowest setting

Suddenly at 10 miles I came around the roundabout by the McClaren building and bam!, I'd given her the normal amount of pedal, but she lept out the exit, gradually I could feel more grunt, It was low down torque, also noticed she was getting smoother and smoother, started to feel she was faster to respond. Also noticed she was showing higher mpg at constant speed like 80mpg at 30 rather than the normal 68 in 6th

At 30 miles and after a good blat along the A25 over the downs I approached Coldharbour and all my favourite lanes, where I used to drive my old track car (Andy Rousses ex ford works 94 Mondeo) so I pulled in at set her to Fast road 2. BAM! WOW, she feels like a petrol car, and revs out, was exceedingly hard to keep under 4K revs. She flew, even spun the wheels a few times exiting the bends, and she was only 5 seconds slower on my normal test section (the focus handles well, but need stiffer springs and stiffer anti roll bar on rear)

Come back grinning on the motorway where she was doing 75mph at 86 mpg!!!!!. Got home having done 55 miles, most of it pushing the car and accelerating hard and my average MPG has gone UP 3 mpg!!!!!, Engine seems very smooth

So, YES this is a great mod, and I still have 3 higher setting to try out

Some notes. There is still a small amount of clatter at 2500 rpm, but you hear it, not feel it. Hoping this may still smooth out. She start to pull at 1500 and really goes at 2900 to 5000, the HP curve feels like a low revving petrol car, and because of the 6 speed box, you will be changing gears like the clappers. She still has the slow pull away in first (programmed in by Ford), but once in second watch out. She feels faster and definitely pushes harder and the engine feels free whereas before it always felt a little held back. Fast road 2 feels like around 130 HP and 280nm. I wonder if spider will show me the dyno curves they have for each setting

Out for dinner tomorrow eve, but you can bet your life that Saturday I will be going up the settings

Very pleased and very worth it, and I can remove the whole lot in 5 mins (once the engine is cold!)

If you were on the fence about this, don't be, get one!!!

The only negative, why didn't I hang on and get the Bluetooth version so I can change it without popping the bonnet!!!!

Told you it would be worth the wait :P so pleased you got it finally sorted, wait till you get it in Race Mode ;)

Yeah it can sound rough during the learning process but does get better in time, (espcially noticed it on my diesel giulietta much more than petrol fiesta), although deffinetly don't push it over 3-4k revs during its run in period as its like when you get a brand new car/engine you shouldn't push it to max during those first XXX ammount of miles but you shouldn't also under use and risk boring it (obviously it doesn't need 100's of miles like a new engine) but things always smooth out the more it runs in. I actually loved that run in/learning period as it's like: 0 - 10 miles huh this isn't any different is it working??... 10 - 20 miles huh whats happening I've got my foot steady but it keeps picking up speed .... 20-30 miles jesus wept how can I keep this under 3-4k rpm as it just wants to go lol.

Like I said when you put your foot down it obviously uses a bit more fuel to give you that extra performance but because the Box is always monitoring as soon as you start cruising it changes the map to give you better fuel economy at any speed compared to what you would get at stock, it's brilliant for that although I've never tried eco mode and that sounds like it gives a great boost in economy and a nice mix of a slight performance increase.

I'm trying to find out if there's a way you can get an existing performance box to work with the imode app, can't hurt to ask if it's a possibility :P I'll let you know if that is the case.

• Like 1

Fate is trying to tell me something.. Been thinking about the bluetooth performance pack for the last few days for my 1.0 125.

Yesterday I got a tax rebate through for £267. Surely this is the universe telling me to buy one (almost exact price with the 30% off!)

Anyway, placing my order now!

• Like 1

Well Karma is strongly giving you a hint!

Fate is trying to tell me something.. Been thinking about the Bluetooth performance pack for the last few days for my 1.0 125.

Yesterday I got a tax rebate through for £267. Surely this is the universe telling me to buy one (almost exact price with the 30% off!)

Anyway, placing my order now!

Well Karma is strongly giving you a hint!

Haha Agreed, that would be exactly my thought if it happened to me :P

You'll be the first too own the new one, will have to let us know how you get on and how it is as I'm very interested myself on replacing my much older original Spider box... review review review :P

I am very tempted to get one as well as I think it is superb with the discount applied.

I few things if anyone can help me out, it says that it doesn't leave a trace, now is that true with the fiesta or does it record that certain cables have been disconnected etc?

And also does anyone know whether the wiring harness would be the same on the 1.0 125ps ecoboost as well as the fiesta ST 1.6 ecoboost?

Cheers

I am very tempted to get one as well as I think it is superb with the discount applied.

I few things if anyone can help me out, it says that it doesn't leave a trace, now is that true with the fiesta or does it record that certain cables have been disconnected etc?

And also does anyone know whether the wiring harness would be the same on the 1.0 125ps ecoboost as well as the fiesta ST 1.6 ecoboost?

Cheers

I'm not sure about the harness cable being the same on the 125 and St 180 as there not exactly the same engine, I'm sure they confirmed the 100, 125 & 140 I was originally looking at use the same cable but definitely one to ask them sadly, like I've said there customer service is top notch and will get back to you pretty quick if they aren't on the sites live chat.

It doesn't store anything anything I removed the box and took my car in to ford the other day so they could check something for me and they did an update and they had no suspicions that anything had been attached at all.

I'm not sure about the harness cable being the same on the 125 and St 180 as there not exactly the same engine, I'm sure they confirmed the 100, 125 & 140 I was originally looking at use the same cable but definitely one to ask them sadly, like I've said there customer service is top notch and will get back to you pretty quick if they aren't on the sites live chat.

It doesn't store anything anything I removed the box and took my car in to ford the other day so they could check something for me and they did an update and they had no suspicions that anything had been attached at all.

I will get onto them about that as I'm looking to get an ST from my current fiesta at the moment so just wanted to see if it would connect so I can do a simple swap over.

That sounds good to me then! And if I buy one for my current car and then swap over to the ST, are there any software downloads I'd need to make for it to work with the ST do you know?

Nope just a new harness if your current one doesn't fit and you can use the 30% off that too :)

Nope just a new harness if your current one doesn't fit and you can use the 30% off that too :)

So does that mean the box stores a map for every engine? And it simply needs a new loom? Or do you have to install a map for your specific engine onto the box? Or does the box simply trick the sensors into thinking different readings are present?

Just curious as to how it works :)

No, the box has a ton of maps in it, but it doesn't use them as is, it basically works on the fly to customise the maps to your car. That's why it runs rough for the first 10 miles or so. It is working out which map is the closest to your car and then over the next 30 or so it Tweeks that map for a perfect fit. Basically almost like having a rolling road dyno tune.

If you swap cars ever you just press the calibrate button and it wipes current settings and starts again

The R settings across the top preselects the starting set of maps, they set that to the map that should work for your car at the factory when they sell the unit. If you swap cars they will tell you if you need a new cable and what R setting to use. You then can select the ECO to Race modes as you like once it's adapted to your car on ECO

I suspect that if you have an older model they select a slightly less aggressive set of starting maps, and if it's a performance model, a more aggressive set

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Well added another 40 miles, this time on Fast Road 4. Brilliant. a ton of power from 2600 rpm up to 5500 and revs up so quick from 3 to 5000 rpm. very smooth delivery as well

Still a bit rough around 2200-2600 but getting better, No CEL or issues, just light touch paper at 3000 rpm, so much so that 30 in 3rd, flooring it I actually managed to spin the front wheels and its 4 seconds to 60 from 30

And even more amazingly the Average MPG has gone UP another 1.5 MPG

The gear change indicator is very wrong now, if you change up when ford say you see your MPG drop by about 20 mpg!!! Focccus will be used to turn it off. basically you just stay in 3rd gear all the time, it has the torque to do so

Only complaint and its not of the chip, is the silly settings ford have for 1st gear pullaway where they don't allow full power to stop wheelspin, car still very slow to get moving, till you put it in second then BAM! had a kid in a BMW 120i try it on, he got a car length ahead of me at forst then I changed to second. 8-) I was at least 100m ahead of him by the time we hit 60 and NO SMOKE at all

FR4 is very drivable, I think I will leave it there for day to day driving, unless it snows or something (then ECO) 75mph on the motorway is now >80 mpg. They are correct, it does seem to know if you are cruising or pushing on and adapts appropriately

Next step, RACE MODE

Why didnt Ford tune I like this to start

• Like 1

Well added another 40 miles, this time on Fast Road 4. Brilliant. a ton of power from 2600 rpm up to 5500 and revs up so quick from 3 to 5000 rpm. very smooth delivery as well

Still a bit rough around 2200-2600 but getting better, No CEL or issues, just light touch paper at 3000 rpm, so much so that 30 in 3rd, flooring it I actually managed to spin the front wheels and its 4 seconds to 60 from 30

And even more amazingly the Average MPG has gone UP another 1.5 MPG

The gear change indicator is very wrong now, if you change up when ford say you see your MPG drop by about 20 mpg!!! Focccus will be used to turn it off. basically you just stay in 3rd gear all the time, it has the torque to do so

Only complaint and its not of the chip, is the silly settings ford have for 1st gear pullaway where they don't allow full power to stop wheelspin, car still very slow to get moving, till you put it in second then BAM! had a kid in a BMW 120i try it on, he got a car length ahead of me at forst then I changed to second. 8-) I was at least 100m ahead of him by the time we hit 60 and NO SMOKE at all

FR4 is very drivable, I think I will leave it there for day to day driving, unless it snows or something (then ECO) 75mph on the motorway is now >80 mpg. They are correct, it does seem to know if you are cruising or pushing on and adapts appropriately

Next step, RACE MODE

Why didnt Ford tune I like this to start

Even if ford did make the car like this from the factory we would probably still stick the box on :P

Awesome that your loving it Madmole I'm glad I'm now not the only one on these forums enjoying what these Spider boxes and what they can do for your car. It's not even just extra power I like, its how its delivered much more smoothly, progressive and falls off alot later that like you said you can ride the gears better. Makes it feel like a new and better car.

And when you want fun with other cars (cough BMW cough) as you know you can ;) I had a race yesterday with my brother in law on the way home from a family get together in his 6 months old BMW 2.0d 170bhp. The much heavier BMW showed its weight by getting of the line slower and I was about 3 car lengths ahead when we hit the motorway. When we got back he admitted he was shocked at how fast that little Fiesta is as he was really trying, joked he'll have to scrap his BMW now and get one :P.

Good fun.

• Like 1

If only they made these for petrols :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club