Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheels Making Contact With Body

hardmonkeys

hi,

one of the advisories on my recent MOT has come up with

'front road wheels on lock just making contact with body'

any ideas what could be causing this? this was my sisters car before mine, and it has never came up before on previous mots

warren

Have you fitted larger wheels than stock ones?

Or tyres bigger than reccomended?

If so you could need steering rack limiter.

Yunii

• Like 1

Wider tyres, bigger wheels, lowered suspension, bushes on way out, play in steering mechanism to name a few, or it could be that a splash guard is a little loose.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 1

thanks for the replies, the car is standard, alloys are the factory fit ones, good call on the splash guard though, will have a good look when I get it back, its had it MOT

It failed on emissions, leaky exhaust and a broken coil spring, which has all now been rectified.

It now has a pass

So the wheel making contact were due to the broken coil spring? Or where they unrelated?

• Like 1

So the wheel making contact were due to the broken coil spring? Or where they unrelated?

Unrelated, the wheels are touching at the front, it was the rear offside coil that was broken.

I've not had a good look as yet, as been at work. Weekend I'll have a proper gander

Thanks for replying

I had an issue with the rear wheels scraping on the old car after I fitted axle spacers. After some research it became obvious there was an underlying problem as other people who had spacers didn't have this issue.

Whilst working under the car I noticed the bump stops on both sides were practically non existant. I ignored it and left it at that.

Anyway. Swapped the subframe with my polybushes and spacers off the old car and onto the new and the tyres no longer catch! Surprise surprise, the bump stops are in perfect condition!

So, in short.. check your bump stops!

• Like 2

Hi, the advisory only says on full lock, not really had chance to look underneath as I've been concentrating on the interior, it was a state

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a picture of the wheel rub, on full right lock it seems to be rubbing against the wishbone, I've never seen anything like this before, any ideas

image_3.jpg

Have a look at steering rack limiters, they're cheap and should solve the problem.. or atleast stop the noise until you can find the cause

Excellent. Thank you.

Any Idea what could of all of a sudden caused this?

That's not right theres a suspension issue there somewhere strut top mounts a bearing out

That should of been picked up on the MOT then? They only picked it up as an advisory, are they easy to sort or is it worth getting a garage to have a gander.

Thanks

What is the shiny vertical strip, 1/3 in from the left and 1/2 down from the top of photo? Looks like something is rubbing on inside of wheel.... i.e brake caliper.

That's the inside of the wheel, think it is where the light reflected, I will get another pic this weekend.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club