Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Universal Water Temp Gauge Fitting - Tdci

ScaldedApe

Hi,

Has anyone fitted one of the eBay universal water temp gauges to a 1.4 TDCI (2010) ? Can you give me some advice on fitting .... sensor fitting mainly.

For some reason my wife's car doesn't have a gauge and in this weather the fan has been going crazy, so I'd like to keep an eye on temps.

Thanks

• Like 1

Have you been using the AC?

• Like 2

Yes she has and I know that's going to start the fan, but not having a temp gauge at all is doing my head in lol

When she got it I noticed because I like to make sure it's upto temp before I gun it !! Well as much as you can in a 1.4 diesel

Anyone have any guidance on where to put the sensor ?

• Like 1

Hi,

Has anyone fitted one of the eBay universal water temp gauges to a 1.4 TDCI (2010) ? Can you give me some advice on fitting .... sensor fitting mainly.

For some reason my wife's car doesn't have a gauge and in this weather the fan has been going crazy, so I'd like to keep an eye on temps.

Thanks

images_zpsve8xag0b.jpeg

Hi,

Ive fitted aftermarket gauges to a car i had before,

You need to meassure the size of the top radiator hose,

The top hose is the return line from the engine it will be most accurate,

When you know the size,

You then need to purchase an aluminium inline sensor adaptor,

mmwhs-28-sl_1_zpsqgbzcnfu.jpg

This is a straight section with two jubilee clips,

It has a tapped hole in its side to screw the temp sensor from the gauge in to.

Locate the centre section of the top hose and cut the hose in two spaces to make way for the male-male adaptor,

Best to get an Adult or Full licences driver to help you with the cutting ;)

hosecut_zps6kjksozu.jpg

downloadfile_zpsqgahld9b.jpeg

Secure it in place using the two jubilee clips,

On the sensor probe there is two wires,

Black,

Run this to female spade ring connector and a ring terminal earthing it to the body,

IMG_20141229_163657_zpsedkywp1_edit_1419

White,

Run this to the sensor feed on the gauge.

greddy-watertempadapter_zpsrswg5hsg.jpg

Most aftermarket gauges have a very bright illumination at night which can be quite distracting,

Should you encounter this problem;

See my guide to fitting an auto dimmer to the gauge

Link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31832-guide-fitting-auto-dimmer-unit-from-gen-labs-to-gauges-or-drl/

Shopping List:

PVC Tape:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180483586959

10Amp Cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-10A-amp-12V-Black-Red-DC-Power-Cable-per-2m-10-AMP-10AMP-12-Volt-/170680456683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bd5915e

PLEASE NOTE CABLE LENGTH

SET Qty: 4

For cables close to heat i recommend coating with fabric loom tape:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180637405593

Choice of water temp gauge,

Correct sized online hose adaptor,

Perhaps an auto dim DRL relay,

Male&female crimp spade connectors.

IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg

Put the females on the positive sides such as cables feeding to the gauge and feeding to the sensor probe.

This way you can unplug and remove or replace the parts without shorting anything (blowing fuses)

That's it.

The Mk7 fiesta design is the cause of its lack in cooling efficency mate,

Ford have fitted a large crash barrier in front of the radiator,

Would have the same strength if they had drilled some 4" holes in it to allow airflow to the radiator,

Or

Mount the barrier at 45 degrees would help air flow but they didn't.

See image of Mk7 front end:

Gotta ask yourself WHY,.. :rolleyes:

BS-CEw2kKGrHqQOKnUEvyFrmUBMM3e5Rjg_.jpg

Behind that barrier is the radiator followed by the Air Conditioning radiator,

The A/C radiator gets hot when you get cold inside:

BS-HGwBWkKGrHqQOKnMEvyFryqulBMM3fGh.jpg

Behind this then is the DPF chamber and exhaust manifold :rolleyes:

Gutting the dpf would reduce heat build up within the engine bay aswell as many other positives these guys offer the best service in Ireland looks like it was never touched completly future MOT compliant

http://www.mfkautocare.com/

I suggest replacing the coolant completly,

When fitting your temp sensor,

Also purchase a bottle of "water wetter" available on eBay it eliminates any bubbles from forming inside the cooling system maximising the contact surfaceses to best reduce heat levels.

Moving on from this:

Blank your Diesels EGR Valve and fit a green performance induction filter to maximise cool air intake,

See guides:

Blanking egr valve:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

Induction filter upgrade:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

• Like 1

You may find the reason the fan is running constantly is the DPF is trying to regenerate nothing to do with the weather. take the car for a good long run down the motorway.

• Like 2

You may find the reason the fan is running constantly is the DPF is trying to regenerate nothing to do with the weather. take the car for a good long run down the motorway.

In 4th Gear all the way.

Blow it through

Didnt think the 1.4TDCi had a DPF though.

Post March 2010 they were fitted

• Like 1

DPF?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Diesel Particulate Filter

• Like 3

Cheers :)

• Like 1

DPF?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Diesel Particulate Filter,

Its like a catalyst in the exhaust actually sits above the cat in the exhaust chamber designed to lower emissions,

But it really clogs up your exhaust killing the turbo and filling the oil with carbon which then gets circulated in to your induction chamber by the EGR Valve,

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, the dealerships love all this stuff as it keeps them in money replacing blown turbos and clogged dpf's during times when car sales are not as they were.

I've had my dpf chamber gutted,

Ecu remapped,

EGR blanked,

Induction filter upgrade,

2.5" duplex exhaust

Passed MOT with lower emissions than the engine left ford with from new aswell as 68mpg

Thanks Lenny. Guess as I have a boring petrol I don't have to worry about this :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful info. Especially Lenny for the details. I'll read through it later tonight.

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny. Guess as I have a boring petrol I don't have to worry about this :D

no mate,

You have the joys of upgrading your spark plugs to some NGK iridium and a Green Cotton Performance Induction Filter that about it really :)

Thankfully I'm in the same boat as you now pal :) i don't have the worry of a DPF, EGR or even the cost of Petrol,

Hi 5!

Thanks for all the helpful info. Especially Lenny for the details. I'll read through it later tonight.

No problem atall,

Feel free to post any questions.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club