Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Boot Is Letting In Water On My Mk1 Focus. Can Anyone Help?

Focus Fanatic

You can see the leak in this picture that I took.

post-66886-0-31580400-1436040795_thumb.j

There's what looks like some kind of metal plate that has some kind of (factory filler?) pasted over it. Well, when it rains, or if I pour water over the right side of the rear bumper, the water comes in from in between the edge of the metal plate and the car body (which is where the dirty line is in the picture) if you know what I mean. The strange thing is is that there doesn't seem to be a crack in the 'filler' where the water is coming in, maybe it's a hairline crack that's hard to see.

I have a few questions about it

Is the plate with 'filler' over it some kind of bad D.I.Y job that the last owner has done, or is this how the car would have come out of the factory?

Is it likely that the other side has rusted and that's why the water is coming in?

Could it be the metal plate flexing and it's caused a crack in the (filler?) which is why the water is coming in?

Should I put some car filler over where it's coming in, or would it be better to use something more flexible, like some kind of all purpose silicone sealant?

Unfortunately I'll only be able to fill/seal the inside of the boot and not the outside, as supposedly to get to the outside I would have to take the rear bumper off, which requires the rear of the car to be jacked up on axle stands.

Rear lights are leaking most likely or the vent flap on the bumper which he's covered with that plate instead of fixing if you want to sort it its Time to take the bumper off

• Like 1

If you cant find an obvious entry point then its a process of elimination unfortunately. On my mk3 i left a hose running on the roof of the car but couldnt find the leak. I removed and resealed the rear lights to no avail. It ended up being one of the body vents behind the rear bumper had a bad seal around the top edge. This was allowing water to get in and fill up the cavity which then spilled over into the boot once it reached a certain level. If it wasnt for it spilling into the boot then i would never have known about it and the car would have rotted from the inside out. My thread titled "Possible mk3 boot leak" is on the Focus forum with photos to give you an idea what it could be.

I dont know about your model but i didn't need to jack the car up to remove the rear bumper.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70704-Possible-Mk3-Boot-Leak?

Possible Mk3 Boot Leak?

This is a very common problem on the MK 1.The filler as you call it is from the manufacturer.I have an ongoing problem in the boot as well.I've used sealant at the light cluster,various grommets,the side vents,metal seams and along the rear bumper.All this and I have had limited success.When it rains usually the boot remains dry but sometimes there is ingress.I think this is happening when driving through surface water but it doesn't seem to be every time.Now the weather is good,I think it s time to take the rear bumper off and sort it once and for all.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

So there was a vent where the metal plate is?

I know there's a vent to the left of that plate, but it looks fine and it's not letting in any water.

If I've got to take the bumper off, then I might as well just spend the money that I'd spend on a jack and axle stands at the mechanics, even it's it's more money. Because if I were to buy the equipment and try and do it myself, there's no guarantee that I'll be successful, in fact I might make a right pigs ear out of it, since I'm an amature when it comes to fixing cars.

Yes the air vent has a flap sometimes water can get in from there.I suppose it's whether you are interested in spending time understanding your car better,if not ,go to a garage.For me,it's not all about saving money but nice when you do.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

So there was a vent where the metal plate is?

I know there's a vent to the left of that plate, but it looks fine and it's not letting in any water.

If I've got to take the bumper off, then I might as well just spend the money that I'd spend on a jack and axle stands at the mechanics, even it's it's more money. Because if I were to buy the equipment and try and do it myself, there's no guarantee that I'll be successful, in fact I might make a right pigs ear out of it, since I'm an amature when it comes to fixing cars.

Did you read my thread? You cant tell if the vent has been leaking until you unclip it. You will see from my pics if there is any residue behind the front seal.

Why do you need to buy a jack and axle stands to remove the rear bumper, havent you got a jack for your spare wheel?

• 1 year later...

On my mk1 I tried all the usual areas as per suggested here and on u tube. But still leaked. Having decided each focus may leak in different areas I decided to think out box. My fix was simple in end it was from the two holes on either quarter panel that the bumper fixes through. See pics. No probs sinces.. these have to plates welded together and water gets in between each plate of metal tiny gap but that was it. 

IMG_20170319_162232.jpg