Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoke First Thing In The Morning?

GTA5

Hi all, Im new to this forum and was wondering if I could have a bit of advice.

I have a:

S Max 1.8 zetec 56 plate

diesel

6 speed

93000 miles

Recent oil and filter changer

I have done 1850 miles since i got the car, and the last week or so it has started smoking first thing in the morning after sitting all night. The smoke only lasts about a minute then is fine all day.

The smoke smells a bit oily and was wondering if anyone has had the same thing or similar?

One other thing, when i hit 70+ mph i get a "engine malfunction" message come up, and when i slow down it goes and there is no error stored as i have plugged my laptop in and nothing? It doesnt lose power and drives as it does at any other speed, it is just annoying :wacko:

Any thoughts would be a great help.

Thanks, Mark.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the smelling smoke issue on my cmax and Mondeo, the fix was an egr blank so a fiver fix.

As for the malfunction, its quite likely this is related to fuel flow. When was the filter last replaced?

Ok i will have ma look into the egr blank, and as for the fuel filter, i will have a look through the paper work to see if i can find out, i was thinking of a service soon which includes that so might just get that done.

Thanks, for the reply.

Mark.

The egr blanking is a must for all diesels,

I suggest watching a few youtube videos regarding leaking fuel injectors best way to know how to diagnose a leaking one,

Ya see a leaking injector would put fuel in cylinder when car is parked,

Then when you start engine this fuel gets chucked in to the exhaust without being burned

Causing the smoke,

But definitly blank the egr aswell

BTW i only smoke after !Removed!

Edited by Stoney871
Not acceptable fella.
  • Like 1

BTW i only smoke after !Removed!

Slow down then...you've got enough kids :P

Edited by Stoney871
Bypassing filter
  • Like 1

Slow down then...you've got enough kids :P

Fractured pelvis since may Sean :lol: all safe here pal even in the nip.im no way able atall

• Like 1

your poor car will be missing all the love and attention lenny

• Like 1

Smoke on startup may be a sign of valve stem oil seals needing replaced.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses, i will order a egr blanker and fit asap, and stef123 i did see and article about it could be the valve stem oil seals, is that a big job?

Mark.

• Like 1

With the egr get stainless steel and not aluminium

• Like 1

It's quite an involved job, likely to cost a good few quid I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Unless you drive to Stef and let him do the job. You will see the inside of your car like you have never seen before :p

• Like 2

Unless you drive to Stef and let him do the job. You will see the inside of your car like you have never seen before :p

Pmsl, what do I do with all the left over bits?

• Like 1

You don't leave leftovers, but you strip the things down further than most garages have the courage to do...

• Like 2

Pmsl, what do I do with all the left over bits?

Easy - same as usual...ebay ;)
  • Like 4

You don't leave leftovers, but you strip the things down further than most garages have the courage to do...

It's just a matter of some confidence/knowledge/experience that anyone could teach themself if they put the time and tools into it. I ain't afraid to get my hands dirty and keep the money in my pocket rather than a garage though.

Sometimes I do question why I bother.

Easy - same as usual...ebay ;)

lmao :lol: :lol: Well Sean, I will give you that - spot on :lol:

To the original poster, If I get the chance to I will check how many hours are required for valve stem oil seals so you have an idea - Hopefully its something easier but it does sound like the usual tell tale sign of them.

• Like 2

Thanks for all ur help and advice. Im more than happy to do most mechanical work on my car, but i need to get a manual, am i right in saying i need to get the galaxy one as i couldnt find one for the s-max, and wasnt sure about replacing the valve stem seals as i wanted to find out if i had to take the cam right off, its been a while since i worked on a car, last one i done was wheel bearing on a clio.

so i will have a look into what need to be done in order to replace the seals and go from there.

Many thanks again ^_^

Do you know if yours is the FFWA 100bhp engine or the QYWA 125bhp engine?

From what I can see at a quick glance based on the 100bhp engine, the repair time is 4.6 hours.

The camshafts will need to be removed, it could be possible to do the seals without removing the cylinder head. Iantt might be able to confirm.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club