Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Steering Wheel - Can I Keep Airbag?

Focu5

I just bought my mk2.5 Focus a week or so ago. The previous owner must have been disabled/old/lazy as they had fitted one of those steering aids to the wheel. It's left a indentation where it was clamped on which I thought I could overlook but it's really starting to bug me.

If I bought a new steering wheel would I be able to just move the air bag across, or is the air bag in some way permanently attached to the wheel it's fitted to?

Any advice appreciated.

The airbag is a seperate part which can be removed from the steering wheel without any problems.

Note that it is very important to buy the correct type of steering wheel. Next to the differences between the 3-spoke and 4-spoke steering wheels there are also differences between the Focus MK2/MK2.5 or C-max/Kuga. The steering wheels of the C-max and Kuga look identical to the Focus MK2/MK2.5 steering wheel from the outside but are internally different. A C-max/Kuga steering wheel does not fit to the Focus MK2/MK2.5 airbag (or vice versa).

• Like 1

The airbag is removeable (you need to do so to reach the nut holding the wheel on anyway).

I have a removal procedure on my home PC taken from an official Ford workshop manual, I'll post it up for you later tonight (currently about to leave London to head home).

You need to disconnect the battery 10 - 20 minutes prior to working with airbags to allow residual charge in the wiring to discharge.

Have you thought of a wheel cover in the short term until you can change wheels?

• Like 1

There is no need to disconnect the battery when removing the steering wheel airbag. You only have to disconnect the clock spring connector at the steering collumn side. When this connector is removed the airbag will automatically be connected to earth by a spring inside the connector. This will immediately discharge all possible residual charge from the wiring/airbag.

Cheers all thanks for the info. Thats good because 2nd hand wheels are pretty cheap but new airbags look pricey.

I did think of getting a cover but id know the imperfection was still there hidden away, and i get a bit ocd if things arent quite right.