Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EAC Fail!!

jenand

I have a 2003 1.4 Fiesta Zetec, when i started the car tonight the EAC FAIL started flashing on the dash. I managed to drive home but it was very sluggish and often felt like it was going to stall.

Any clues as to what the problem is and how much i would be looking at to get it fixed??? Thanks

I have a 2003 1.4 Fiesta Zetec, when i started the car tonight the EAC FAIL started flashing on the dash. I managed to drive home but it was very sluggish and often felt like it was going to stall.

Any clues as to what the problem is and how much i would be looking at to get it fixed??? Thanks

Oh and i only bought this car last saturday! i opted out of buying a warranty when the dealer asked. Is there like a standard consumers warranty? or something like that? where would i stand?

This could be costly, i know people who have spent a few hundred quid on this problem, new coil, new ECU etc. Seems to be quite a common problem as well.

I would have thought your dealer would have given a minimum of 3 months warranty. Get checking that paperwork.

How many miles has it done ?

This could be costly, i know people who have spent a few hundred quid on this problem, new coil, new ECU etc. Seems to be quite a common problem as well.

I would have thought your dealer would have given a minimum of 3 months warranty. Get checking that paperwork.

The minimum second-hand warranty I have experienced, is 1 month, and that was on 2 occasions, the last being June 2008, on a 5-year old IBIZA for which we paid £3500, for our Son. That was in the "bargain basement" section in a KIA/NISSAN dealership.

In 1975, I bought an obsolete NSU PRINZ 600L, "as-seen", but as the engine siezed on our first trip around the county, due to incomplete air-cooling ducting from the rear deck to the engine air cooling input aperture, I got an "ex-gratia" payment towards a second-hand engine, which the old dealership had in stock, from a write-off. ( That car only cost £275, and the seller put forward ~50% of the repair ).

The sale of goods act will cover you in this brief period that you have had the car, as it still has to be "fit for purpose" After all, a lemon is a lemon, as the Americans have in their legislation.

it has done 66000 miles. The dealer told me he has in house mechanics who checked it over and it was all sound, except the clips to move the seats forward, which he replaced. So i figured it is probably all fine and said no when he ask if i would like to purchase a warranty. I paid £3500 for it so i would expect it to last more than a week! I am going to have the RAC out and see what they suggest the problem is, and then give the dealer a ring, she what he offers.

it has done 66000 miles. The dealer told me he has in house mechanics who checked it over and it was all sound, except the clips to move the seats forward, which he replaced. So i figured it is probably all fine and said no when he ask if i would like to purchase a warranty. I paid £3500 for it so i would expect it to last more than a week! I am going to have the RAC out and see what they suggest the problem is, and then give the dealer a ring, she what he offers.

The RAC have had a look and said there is no spark to cylinder no.1. I contacted the dealer i got him from an he said as i did not purchase a warranty and he knocked me 200 quid off that it is classed as sold as trade so he is under no obligation to repair the car!! The RAC guy told me he might try and pull that one! It seems the dealer steamed cleaned the engine and that is what the cause is, it is spotless, waaaaaaay to clean for a 53 reg. But of course the dealer told me it could have been the previous owner.....................

The RAC have had a look and said there is no spark to cylinder no.1. I contacted the dealer i got him from an he said as i did not purchase a warranty and he knocked me 200 quid off that it is classed as sold as trade so he is under no obligation to repair the car!! The RAC guy told me he might try and pull that one! It seems the dealer steamed cleaned the engine and that is what the cause is, it is spotless, waaaaaaay to clean for a 53 reg. But of course the dealer told me it could have been the previous owner.....................

Hi, sorry to hear about this!

Despite being sold with no warranty, as you purchased from a dealer then the car should have been "fit for purpose" and in a condition commensurate with the vehicle's age, mileage and price paid - as per the Sale of Goods Act.

The car clearly isn't "fit for purpose" due to this serious fault.

My advice is that you definitely have some "come back" against the dealer - particularly as problems have occurred so soon after you bought the vehicle - the dealer sounds like a proper "Arfur Daley" trying to fob you off without any care for their reputation.

If the dealer still won't "play ball" I suggest that you contact your local Council's Trading Standards section, they'll be able to help / advise you further at no cost.

Good luck!

Hi, sorry to hear about this!

Despite being sold with no warranty, as you purchased from a dealer then the car should have been "fit for purpose" and in a condition commensurate with the vehicle's age, mileage and price paid - as per the Sale of Goods Act.

The car clearly isn't "fit for purpose" due to this serious fault.

My advice is that you definitely have some "come back" against the dealer - particularly as problems have occurred so soon after you bought the vehicle - the dealer sounds like a proper "Arfur Daley" trying to fob you off without any care for their reputation.

If the dealer still won't "play ball" I suggest that you contact your local Council's Trading Standards section, they'll be able to help / advise you further at no cost.

Good luck!

And tell this shark of your intention to do so !

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club