Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O/T Tailgaters

amyjaj

Don't you just hate them. It frightens me at the minute.

I've just driven back from Oxford on the A34. As there was only a few miles left before the A34 ends at the M40 juntion roundabout, I got in the outside lane as you need to be in it to get the lane for the A40 to Bicester. There was one car who was right at my backside. I couldn't let him through because there was traffic on the inside lane but when there was a space I let him through. I then went back into the outside lane as I needed to be and then another car was right up my backside. I didn't let him through as the roundabout was coming up. They soon got the messege and pulled back to the inside lane. I was doing the national speed limt. I not getting points on my licence for nobody.

Some people are always in a hurry. I slow down more when people do that to irritate them :)

A mate of mine used to be be able to put his gear stick just close enough to reverse for the reverse lights to come on, even doing motorway speeds. Funnily enough he employed this tactic with tailgaiters, and it seemed to work wonders!

I hate tailgaters. I used to ride a small capacity motorbike (i.e. a 50cc engine), and one day was tailgated by a minicab driver in the rain at night, as I approached a junction. I was told by my instructor when I was learning to ride that 'looking backwards' sends a message to the guy behind that they might be too close. On this occasion however, it had no effect.

Needless to say there was an accident.

Amy, I was going to post a topic like this last week, after an experience I had with a tailgater.

I was at a roundabout, enroute to the supermarket, I was giving way to cars coming round the roundabout, and this bus, sorta was hogging up both lanes, so I didn't know at first if he was coming my way, so I waited, a split second that was all it took, since I had my baby nephew on board, I didn't want to take any chances of crashing, but next minute this white work van's right up my backside, tooting his horn, in an arrogant manner, all because I waited, like wtf did he want me to do, I'm not going to take chances with a young baby on board. He then follows me into the supermarket carpark, almost rips off the backend of my car as he cuts me up, driving like a total loon, till he finds a space, so I managed to get his details, like the company's name etc, from the logo'ed up van, and I sent off an email!! From there, I found out, they don't authorise employees to use work vehicles for their own personal use, outside of working hours, which this was! I got told this matter would be addressed, and this person disciplined because of such actions, as the company values feedback on how their employees conduct thenselves in company vehicles.

What a freakin' idiot though, if you're going to tailgate and road rage, do it out of your logo'ed up work's van!!! Lmao.

I think if I hadn't had the baby on board, I wouldn't have taken it as far as I did, but I felt our safety had been compromised, and I don't appreciate it, I'm always courteous to other drivers, and I expect the same in return.

Rant over! :lol:

I get tailgaters all the time, hate them. I drive through a village on my way to work, where family's live, it's a 30mph limit and so far I've had a boy racer and a BMX X5 overtake me JUST cause I was doing 30!! The BMW was a funny one cause after the village is 60mph county roads and as I drive them every day I know them well, I caught him in about 2 mins after the village, he obviously thought he was in a Ferrari, not a tank that can't handle twisty roads!! But didn't like doing 30.

Basically I class a lot of drivers as purely selfish, they will go through any town or village happily at 40 mph, thus risking killing a child or pedestrian with great ease yet when it comes to a 60 mph limit and they can only hurt themselves, they then very rarely go above 50 and most commonly drive at 45! Screw the little kid as long as I'm ok......

My sisters best friend's husband is a traffic cop and he says you can do 80 on a motorway, 60 in a 60 etc but they ALWAYS do you for speeding in a 30 because they see children killed daily due to it. And he also said when you go to a motorbike accident, they often wonder if the heads been decapitated as it's a common injury for motorcyclists that get killed.

I also hate people who never indicate, go round the wrong lanes at roundabouts, keep the lights on full beam all the time. There are some road works near me where is a single track lane with temporary traffic lights again in a 30, coming back from work, i sit and wait they turn green, I get about 10 feet from them and meet some w****r in a Range River coming the other way who had CLEARLY jumped the lights as they were way down the road and I had to move to let the git pass, naturally he got a mouth full.

I could go on and on but I basically have come to the conclusion the standard of driving in the UK today is at an all time pathetic disgusting low and I am not surprised at the deaths that happen. Sorry for the moaning but having driven a 40 mile round trip to work for nearly 3 years now I get really annoyed at the driving I see every day.

if anyone tailgates me i just slow down, the closer they get the slower i get till its almost a crawl, dont be intimidated just slow down, also try the trick of winding your window down and giving them the 1 finger salute, or lastly let the overtake follow them to where they park, and let the air out of their tyres :lol: *

* i do not condone criminal activity :lol:

if anyone tailgates me i just slow down, the closer they get the slower i get till its almost a crawl, dont be intimidated just slow down, also try the trick of winding your window down and giving them the 1 finger salute, or lastly let the overtake follow them to where they park, and let the air out of their tyres :lol: *

* i do not condone criminal activity :lol:

Lol, I did do that!! Give the finger salute, not the air out the tyres :lol: Knew he wouldn't see through my tinted rear window, so I did it out the window! Didn't say that on the email though, not very ladylike for me, but who cares!! I was well pi**ed off!

tut tut zippy :lol:

similar car i see but yours is a diesel, i was going to go with diesel but looked at speed figures and it outweighed for me over the mpg

tut tut zippy :lol:

similar car i see but yours is a diesel, i was going to go with diesel but looked at speed figures and it outweighed for me over the mpg

Yeps, great colour choice too!! :lol: diesel's mpg's good for me, I like to gallivant!

well if we let both our cars get it on, well have a petro/diesel hybrid which will be both speedy and good on mpg :lol:

well if we let both our cars get it on, well have a petro/diesel hybrid which will be both speedy and good on mpg :lol:

Ooooer... :lol: what cute babies!!

I can relate so much to things that have been posted on here, theres a longgggg straight road near me where its a 30mph limit then goes to a 60, the amount of cars that do 40mph in both is shocking! Whereas I do 60 [easily do-able as its just a straight road] and then slow down to 30 when you're supposed to. The Fiesta comes in handy though as I can overtake these 'one-speeders' when they're doing 35 in the 60 :lol:

And also, if I get a car tailgating me I just slam on my brakes sharply, then drive at around 12mph :lol: if its safe for me to.

The amount of cars that have nearly crashed into me because of this is shocking! I'm not a violent person but I get very angry at pathetic driving :)

Zippy I applaud your calmness, I would have been straight over to that van and giving the driver a piece of my mind! I had a similar situation with a van tailgating me in a 60, (I was doing around 50mph and had my 3 year old nephew in the car).

Like MarkyR I too could go on all day ranting about terrible driving :P but will leave it at that for now. I'm only 19 and been driving two years, I'm not a 'know it all' boy racer but I think I'm a better/safer driver than half the **** heads on the roads :lol: :lol:

sometimes i wish i was an undercover cop when i get tailgated, just so i can pull them over and slap some points on their license for the dangerous driving.

sometimes i wish i was an undercover cop when i get tailgated, just so i can pull them over and slap some points on their license for the dangerous driving.

I second that lol

alternatively, id be drving a car built like a tank, so i could slam the brakes on, and smash their front bumper in , and drive off without any damage to my car

I can not stand tailgaters myself its mainy wannabe waggs in their range rovers or white van man or !Removed! taxi drivers. the end of the day iam not risking my lisence just because some tossa wants to go faster worse of all is when their on there mobile phone. what i normally do is slow right down or turn on my back fog lights to blind the little fuckers.

Some people are always in a hurry. I slow down more when people do that to irritate them :)

I agree - seems to be the best way of dealing with them. Giving the one-fingered salute is a bit risky nowadays, unfortunately, (even though I have been known to do it, every now and then - when circumstances call for it). You never know what kind of psychopathic nutter is driving behind you though.

This is one of several reasons why I'm going to be a bag of nerves next week when I pick up my new Fiesta!

Currently I take no crap from anyone whilst driving my 15 year old Cavalier but things will have to change!

This is one of several reasons why I'm going to be a bag of nerves next week when I pick up my new Fiesta!

Currently I take no crap from anyone whilst driving my 15 year old Cavalier but things will have to change!

I wouldn't worry, if they're driving recklessly it'll be their fault not yours.

Glad to hear you're picking your car up next week!! What is the spec of it? Bet you're so excited :P

I wouldn't worry, if they're driving recklessly it'll be their fault not yours.

Glad to hear you're picking your car up next week!! What is the spec of it? Bet you're so excited :P

5 door Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi, Colorado red, rear parking sensors, lumbar support, towbar. Sorry it's not as exciting as some of the examples you guys have, my XR3i days were over 20 years ago! I gather from one of the polls that red isn't that popular but I believe no-one can ever use the excuse that they didn't see me, that theory has worked for the last 15 years with my Cav.

5 door Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi, Colorado red, rear parking sensors, lumbar support, towbar. Sorry it's not as exciting as some of the examples you guys have, my XR3i days were over 20 years ago! I gather from one of the polls that red isn't that popular but I believe no-one can ever use the excuse that they didn't see me, that theory has worked for the last 15 years with my Cav.

I actually really like the Mk7 in Red now after seeing more and more in real life! And at least it stands out better than my boring silver :lol:

You'll have to post some pictures when you get your Fez, to try and change some more people's opinions on Red :P

was hogging up both lanes, so I didn't know at first if he was coming my way.

There you go Abbie using my name or part of it anyway in vain again!

Seriously though these tailgaters are a big pain in the proverbial !Removed!.

Trouble is that you never know who or what is in the cars involved so I'd advise caution at all times.......anyone remember that road rage incident on the M25 some years ago?

Round our way you tend to get a brigade of Saxos with oversized exhausts and Mickey Mouse engines so it's laughable really.

I just slow down and let them pass; it's the safest and best way nowadays.

I can understand your frustration and annoyance though especially when babies are involved. :rolleyes:

Trouble is that you never know who or what is in the cars involved so I'd advise caution at all times.......anyone remember that road rage incident on the M25 some years ago?

Nooo. What happened?