Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

1.8tdci Wet And Dry Belts.

Greenslider

Hi folks. I just got my car back from the main dealer after having the wet and dry belts/water pump/gasket oil pump replaced. The engine is covered in a fine layer of hot oil on return home..and the 3 screws beside the oil reservoir lid are somewhat loose....I tightened them up myself, but do ye think the oil is the left overs of a long job or is the oil symptomatic of shoddy work? I oresume tightening those screws was a good idea?

Update..well I've closed the gasket screws tight and have been advised by my mechanic to return the machine to the dealer who should double check for any more loosely reassembled components and wash the engine free of oil. Hell of a nuisance for 830 euro already paid.

hi

barry who is the dealer who done the shoody work

paul

Name and shame! Couldve been a costly mistake!

Well, they were very apologetic and they cleaned up the engine and checked the levels. I tightened the gasket nut myself and I guess the worst would have been an oil pressure drop and a light.... . But for a bill that discounts mortgage repayment and household bills, thus incurring stooped telephone calls from creditors.. yep, you would expect a bit more attention from a main dealer. I wont name and shame but there is only one main dealer here....

• Like 1

It doesn't put much faith in the rest of the job either.

• Like 2

That's the thing. Big dealers, with multiple service bays and brand familiar mechanics.. with obligations to their brand..you lose your dealership if you don't keep investing in new showrooms etc( so I guess they are under a bit of pressure) tend to really fly through the work to keep the work coming in. But main dealers are expensive and you should get what you pay for. I was somewhat surprised that a job the local lads said should take 10+ hours was ready in 5.