Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 Replace Clock Spring, £80 Ford Or £10 Myself?

xcd

Hi, basically I had one of the ford summer check ups at the local ford garage, apparently I need £1400 worth of repairs doing on a car that passed an MOT without a single advisory 4 months ago and has only done 33k miles, but that's another matter.

I left the garage and my indicators no longer self cancel. Had a bit of a to and fro with Ford and they've diagnosed it as the clock spring which is what I found from googling. As we can't prove either way that they broke it (they did), they've agreed for me to pay parts (£80) and they'll cover labour (£110).

Now I've looked and it seems the used parts are £10 on eBay, I've found guides but how easy is it really, also any safety concerns as it involves removing the airbag and that's something I'd want to still be working afterwards.

Also seems to be two different sizes and the eBay sales are unclear, how do I work out which size I need.

Thanks.

In regards to airbags.. modern airbags are Pretty much harmless until they recieve 6 or 12v.. and then KABOOM

In regards to airbags.. modern airbags are Pretty much harmless until they recieve 6 or 12v.. and then KABOOM

i'd watch bad neighbours (very funny movie) before playing with the airbags...

you may want to disconnect the battery first and leaving it for a bit to get rid of any residual charge (switch lights on and they should dim really quickly if there is any) and then you should be ok.

• Like 1

i'd watch bad neighbours (very funny movie) before playing with the airbags...

you may want to disconnect the battery first and leaving it for a bit to get rid of any residual charge (switch lights on and they should dim really quickly if there is any) and then you should be ok.

Sorry, forgot to mention, to prevent them having any power feed, disconnect the battery. I disconnect it when messing with anything electrical after "the event" haha :)

I have done clock springs on the mk1 before, I don't recall any different sizes.

It's an easy job though, 15 mins really.

Dont forget to test your airbag once refitted, you will then need to replace your front bumper and fit a another new airbag. Repeat as necessary!:blink:

Dont forget to test your airbag once refitted, you will then need to replace your front bumper and fit a another new airbag. Repeat as necessary! :blink:

I'll leave that for you anytime i refit an airbag if that's ok :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club