Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Malfunction

JaSonic

Hi guys,

Am new here and hoping for some advice on my newly purchased Focus Cmax 2005 1.6 TDCI Auto.

I picked up this car as faulty hoping to get it on the road for the misses to drive.

The fault is that when I turn the key, the dash immediately lights up with 'Transmission Malfunction'. The car start great at the turn of the key no problems, but when put into any gear whether its D or R or M, the car does nothing, will not move at all.

I've got 'Torque' on my phone and a bluetooth ELM which shows up some fault codes, to which I cleared and rescanned and the P0715 fault immediately returned.

A quick google told me that P0715 was a speed sensor circuit malfunction, so doing a bit of googling looking for the location of this sensor said it was down the back of the bell housing near the right driveshaft.

But all the looking I can do, and 2 other pairs of eyes can't find this sensor.

I've even got the airbox and battery tray out to look down from above, but all I can fine is a plug that seems to go nowhere and can't find nowhere to attach it to.

Can anyone please tell me if i'm looking in the right place and if this sounds about right to you please?

I've since taken another ELM reading and now there are 4 codes showing up, not sure if this will help anyone put a finger on the problem here.

I'm hoping this is more a sensor problem as opposed to anything major.

The gear box otherwise is responding how it should, ie will not let me take the key out of not in P, will not start car if not in P etc etc.

Cheers guys in advance.

post-67451-0-94304600-1437978486_thumb.j

That sensor is buried inside the box, major strip.

Oh dear,

Not what I wanted to hear lol

Would this sensor/fault stop the gearbox from engaging gears?

Cheers

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Hello JaSonic,

The output speed sensor is easy to get to once the sump is removed.

You should be aware that the CFT23 gearbox has a terrible reputation and if it is broken, and it is not the speed sensor, your chances of fixing it are very slim.

Since I'm not that good at attaching things, if you PM me I'll send you an article I wrote some time ago about this gearbox and a few pictures which may help.

Pavillion.

• Like 1

I bought my car (a cmax tdi cvt end of 2005) used before 3 months with about 90000 Km (around 60000 miles) on the odometer. From the service history I found that one of the roller bearings of the gearbox was replaced by the official service of Ford at Cyprus because it was running noisy. During that work 2 litres of cvt oil were added to the gearbox.

After I read the Pavilion's report regarding the cvt failures I took the decision to the replace the cvt oil by myself ( I am a well experienced mechanical engineer). From your experience which oil do you suggest for replacing?

Waiting for your valuable replies!

Note: The car is working very well and no problems have been noticed at all.

Regards

Sailor1969

Hello Sailor 1969,

I hope you got my reply.

Pavillion.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, unfortunately I have the same problem with a C-max 1.6 tdci CVT CFT23 gearbox.

I do had another OSS sensor, changed it, same thing, changed the oil, filters, same thing, unmount the box, cheked the orings, everithing seems good. Changed even the torque convertor, same thing. I have that like dtc:

P0701-E0- (TCM) - Transmission control system -  range/performance - No Additional Fault Symptom Available for this (DTC), (DTC) present at time of request, (MIL) On for this (DTC), Test Complete
P0715-20- (TCM) - Turbine Speed sensor circuit malfunction - No Additional Fault Symptom Available for this (DTC), Previously Set (DTC) Not Present at Time of Request., (MIL) Off for this (DTC), Test Complete
P2765-20- (TCM) - Input/Turbine Speed Sensor B Circuit - No Additional Fault Symptom Available for this (DTC), Previously Set (DTC) Not Present at Time of Request., (MIL) Off for this (DTC), Test Complete
U0100-30- (TCM) - Lost communication with the (PCM) - No Additional Fault Symptom Available for this (DTC),Previously Set (DTC) Not Present at Time of Request,(MIL) Off for this (DTC),Test Not Complete

Do you have any ideea ? I cheked all the wires, from pcm to the tcm connector, nothing, dont know where this dtc come ...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club