Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tpms ?

ninja_geezer

Hi just had to have a new tpms sensor fitted as my local tyre fitter decided to break mine.

they paid for the new one about £30 i think.

anyway ford now tell me they want £85 to program it to work on my car !!! WTF is there any way round this ?

are they trying to lift my leg ?

if not i am going to have a battle with the trye firm to pay the money. :unsure:

I'd certainly get the tyre place to pay, it's there fault for breaking it!

Will try to do that but cannot believe that fraud want £85 !!

another ford dealer says it may not even need a reprogram !

i will have to get the wheel back later and see...

that dealer said it would be £43 ! i think someone is taking the p--

Sounds odd that one says it would need reprogramming and the other didn't, Fraud there usual helpful selves.

I think it does need programming, its the later ones only, using the tyre pressure monitor activation tool, most manufactures use the same tool , earlier tpms you just drove it until it recognised it.

Takes all of 10 mins to do.

tried resetting on the dash menu then driving then letting the trye down and driving it again ,nothing on the dash ,tried it on another wheel i get a dash warning after about half mile.

so yes it will need programming.

the tyre dealer says they have the kit in another branch to sort it
takes a few mins and reckons they dont have to plug anything into the
car .

will see if they can sort it.

oh and by the way please anyone who has a newish car check your tyres ,one of mine was on the rim wrong from the factory !!

the outsde of the tyre was on the inside of the rim. the tyre dealer took a photo to show me before they took the tyre off.

They have a tool that programs the sensors. I believe it can be done with some tool the tyre places usually have.

Is there meant to be a special way they get the tyres off if the wheel has TPMS fitted?

Alot of tyre shops break the bead without taking core of valve out letting air out, that can break a valve, just clumsey tyre fitters rearly.

Also if they replace valve core then it needs to be a non ferous one or the core will corode and sieze up, so the nextbtime you have tyres you will need new sensors or at least the rubber part of sensor

As don't most places not touch the valve at all if it has a TPMS system fitted?

It shouldn't need replacing tpms is normally plug and play but to reprogram them if I remember correctly you deflate the tyre to nil reset the monitor and put to the correct psi and reset there should be no problems after that don't quote me on it

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

TPMS triggering tool is what is needed apparently on a new TPMS valve...

oh and by the way please anyone who has a newish car check your tyres ,one of mine was on the rim wrong from the factory !!

I saw a thread on another forum I frequent where someone had different makes on front & rear! . I surprised the dealer when I checked the wifes new Fiesta had all same makes. Must admit I didn't check they were on the right way round! . Will check tomorrow...

• 3 weeks later...

All sorted took the dealer 20 mins max,£85 !!! i did not pay the tyre dealer did.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS (TPMS)

Warming "Check Tyre Pressures" was displayed whilst driving down Motorway in the rain. Pressures were all OK when checked. Warning remained on after restart. Used display Menu - TPMS reset procedure and warning display has switched off. Found Owners Manual very confusing tied to get some answers on the internet but found it full of confliction information. I have written to Car Mechanics Magazine to request they publish a definitive article on the subject. I have asked if they could address the following questions:-

1. Is the new direct TPMS an MOT requirement? (Since found that it is as from 01/01/2012)

2. Are there any legal issues with Police /Insurance if TPMS is not functioning?

3. Is there a way of reprogramming the ECU yourself using a cheap tool/laptop computer etc?

4. Is it advisable to replace sensors when new tyres are fitted?

5. Are non-manufactures sensors available and are they a sensible buy?

6. Why is the cars ECU not self learning when tyres are changed or turned round or new sensors fitted?

7. Was the false reading I encountered caused by the sudden change in tyre pressure resulting from the change tyre temperature as I had just driven through standing water with the inside wheels when the message was displayed?

8. Will tyres pressures have to be altered when conditions go below freezing?

It would be greatly appreciated and far more preferable if someone from Ford's Technical department could provide the correct answers specifically as they apply to the Fiesta rather than leaving us in the dark thinking the worst, that this is just a revenue generator. Particularly when the old ABS Indirect System work brilliantly at no extra cost.

1 yes, you all ready know that

2 dont know

3 you can programme sensors yourself, tools available inc eBay but ones ive seen still £90 +

4 adviseable to replace the vavle assy either rubber or metal vales whevn changing tyres but not the sensor itself,( kits are available)

5 i asume non manufactures sensors are available , seen some on eBay

6 relearning of sensors only required when fitting new sensors in reality, where they are positioned is not that important,the sensors detect warm tyre pressures,air temp and acelleration and puts light on if drop of 20% or more detected

7 dont know what caused your particular detction issue, sorry

8 freezing temp should not affect the tpms, as pressure and temp of air in tyre is factored in after driving off for a short while

hope this helps

im no expert on tpms as such but this info is as acuarate that i can find