Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Stuck Closed

jgriff

Went to my car after work this evening and my boot won't open. At this point I should mention it's a 2008 mk2.5 zetec s.

When i press the boot release button i can hear it trying to open but there's something preventing it from opening.

Anyone any pointers on what i can do or try to get it open?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Have you got something jammed in the mechanism?

• Like 1

Not that I know of. I just disconnected the battery and will try it in a few mins

• Like 2

Reconnected battery and still no joy. Climbed into boot to see if anything was caught in mechanism but doesnt appear to be anything there

• Like 1

Probably a weak or failed solenoid then.

You may be able to remove the hatch trim and unbolt the lock from inside.

• Like 1

Ok cheers mate, will have to try it over the weekend

• Like 2

does the boot open with the remote key? my boot switch failed due to water ingress but it worked fine with the remote fob.

• Like 1

No wont open with remote or handle 😢

• Like 1

What does the solenoid look like or where is it located. Pulled the plastic cover from inside the boot to have a look

• Like 1

It's integral to the whole lock mechanism.

If it's failed then it's a new unit.

• Like 2

How do i get it out though, is there screws holding it in and if they are undone will the boot open? I havent gotten the plastic trim fully off as its still fixed where the two screws are in the grab handles

• Like 1

How do i get it out though, is there screws holding it in and if they are undone will the boot open? I havent gotten the plastic trim fully off as its still fixed where the two screws are in the grab handles

Hi John,

There are two Torx screws holding this panel in place,

As you have said mate there inside the grab handles which only become exposed with boot open.

Very bad design when it comes to this.

I've got some images of whats inside i thought they may help you out somewhat having a visual of where everything is inside the panel.

IMG_20150103_124446_zpso0kmwkxy.jpg

IMG_20150625_220916_zpsdpxmgog7.jpg

IMG_20150625_195910_zpsq5napyoh.jpg

IMG_20150625_200412_zpsk461namm_edit_143

The two Torx screws grip in to plastic clipped grommets,

Set inside bendable metal tabs inside the boot panel as saw in image below:

IMG_20150625_200547_zpsd9zkc52r.jpg

IMG_20150103_124852_zpsltxuabdn.jpg

The connection here links the boot latch to the handle on the outside of the boot door:

IMG_20150625_204640_zpsowgrgnxj_edit_143

Bridge white to black to bypass the outside button.

Image178_edit_1420355070173_zpsnbchlx2z.

If removing the outer boot handle;

Need to remove six nuts from inside panel possibly enough room to reach in.

IMG_20150103_124940_zpsdgx9oi1_edit_1420

IMG_20150103_124929_zpsp6g9hqw_edit_1420

The only bit of information i can add to this is:

When i was changing my boot handle to one with camera i had to cut off the factory loom plug and crimp on connections:

IMG_20141122_164327_zpsmedqjavc.jpg

IMG_20141122_083102_zpsht2cbxcg.jpg

In the process of doing this;

I forgot to disconnect the battery,

When i had the cables stripped the touched each other making electrical contact.

IMG_20141122_164437_zpswnlmutw_edit_1416

I noticed the noise from the boot latch was much louder maybe a stronger shot when these connections were bridged.

Perhaps if you can unplug the boot handle loom and bridge white to yellow it will provide a stronger pop to lift the latch i dunno mate maybe worth a try.

If it works then its your outer handle needs replacing, I've got one of those i can provide for free if you need it.

The contacts in the outer latch can wear out but generally happens in wetter times in winter.

All said mate,

If it was my focus id try bridging white&black connection while pushing boot,

Failing that as much as i wouldn't want to;

Id get a dremil tool and cut around the edge of the plastic boot panel leaving the plastic frame intact while allowing full access,

Only way to gain full access without damaging the metal tabs on the boot door itself.

If cutting it id keep bottle of water to hand aswell encase the backing insulation gets hot.

Boot panel shouldn't cost that much in breakers maybe 20-30 euro

I don't know what else to suggest to be honest.

Hopefully images will help in some way and if you want the replacement button PM me details ill ship it out Tuesday.

Hang on a second,

I went back through archive of images to when i done the second boot light install,

Notice theres two grommets on the lower boot panel:

Image0994_edit_1438403880194_zps11evf1bu

If you pop these out using a flat head screwdriver,

They should reveal Torx head bolts which retain the lower boot latch bar.

Image0965_edit_1438403672652_zpsfsocvwnt

Granted the lower latch wont come up completely when you remove the two torx bolts,

The boot will lift up about one or two inches,

But if you then remove these two plastic plugs loosen then by prying with flat head screwdriver then pull panel to remove completly:

Image0971_edit_1438405532436_zpsn5un96dc

That panel unclips by gently pulling it towards the back seat and upwards in the air.

This should then allow the boot to fully open.

You can then remove panels and check the outer boot handle.

The above images were taken from the following Guides:

De-Wiper Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/70383-guide-de-wiper-ford-focus-mk2-mk25-rear-wiper-removal/

Additional Boot light install:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/27165-guide-to-fitting-additional-boot-light-in-ford-focus-mk2-and-mk25/page__pid__146083#entry146083

Focus Mk2.5 Reverse Camera Install:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65470-guide-fitting-reverse-camera-mk25-focus-2008-2011/

• Like 1

You're a fountain of knowledge lenny, fair play to ya. At least i have a couple of ways to try get it open now and know how to go about it.

Typical of this happening and neal egan show in sligo on tomorrow. Will try a scrappy today to see if i can get the few bits required

Cheers

• Like 2

Just to update, i have the lock problem sorted. As you suggested it was the lock mechanism that had failed. A visit to my local scrappy and a lock from a 2007 focus and we're back in action. Only thing that remains to be done is to cut the old lock apart so that I can get the lower boot plastic trim piece fitted back to the car.

• Like 2