Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simple Oil Change...... Not

daniel408

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me. I have a focus mk3 2.0ltr tdci 163bhp. I've got all the stuff for the oil change and filter change. I've watched a couple of videos online and read up on what I needed to do but I've become stumped. I've changed the air filter then went onto the oil change. The videos showed the filter very easy to get to on the underside near the radiator and the sump plug on the rear of the sump. My sump plug looks like it's on the bottom of the sump and the filter is underneath the oil filler point with not very good access.

Am I looking at the wrong things and what is the easiest way to get the oil filter changed?

Hope someone can help.

Daniel.

Hi, to be honest no. If you look at the 3rd page it shows the filter in a white canister near the front of the car and the sump plug behind the sump. Mine is completely different. Why would this be?

The most likely reason is you have a different 2.0 engine. See if you can find the engine number.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Knowing my luck it will be a random engine. Sorry for sounding dumb but where would I find the engine number. I've found the sticker with the serial number on.

If I'm honest, I'd recommend you ask someone who knows the basics to show you what to do. oil and filter changes are very basic but there are pitfalls that could destroy your engine. Either that or take it to a local independent who will charge reasonably rather than rip you off.

but I've become stumped.

Don't you mean......... sumped........ ha ha ha ha.

Sorry I couldn't help mself.

• Like 2

If you know where the sump plug is and you have located the oil filter just get stuck in mate and give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Djsubtronic - How could I not have figured out sumped. Lol.

William - the filter housing is in a very awkward place and I think I may need some cut off spanners for it. Also, I just want to make sure I've got the right bits.

I've got pics but not sure how to put them on here.

Before you tackle any job make sure you have the right tools.Nothing worse than faffing around for something that might do and doesn't.

I looked into it but when you go onto YouTube and search for mk3 oil change it comes up with something completely different.

You need a socket set,oil filter pliers or chain and a container for the oil.Thats the basics,what could possibly go wrong.Lol.

Choice of oil, quantity of oil, choice of filter, tightness of filter, cleanliness, burnt hands, skinned knuckles, getting under the car, dipping the level... I stick by my suggestion above!

I think I kinda agree with foxy but burnt hands and skinned knuckles is part of my job. I'll find someone to show me the way of the engine.

Are you sure its mk3? Might be mk2.5 at 2011?

I haven't seen the 2.0, but with the 1.6 you have to remove the airbox and boost pipe to get to the filter housing, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was inaccessible on the 2.0 as well. :lol:

100% that is the oil filter mate. You might have to remove a few bits for access. First I would try to get an adjustable spanner in there just to crack it loose then do the rest by hand.

As to the sump plug if your looking at the sump it's going to be on the bottom or the back of the sump at the bottom. There's only 1 nut you can take out on the sump so can't go wrong really.

100% that is the oil filter mate. You might have to remove a few bits for access. First I would try to get an adjustable spanner in there just to crack it loose then do the rest by hand.

Ok, cheers mate. I don't want to start taking to much off so will have another look today.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

From what I’ve found the petrol engine and the diesel are completely different. Petrol being the white filter underneath mentioned above and the diesel being the filter in the engine bay under the air filter. Very late but for anyone else looking bear in mind

If you have a top mounted filter don't bother with draining from the sump.  Buy a cheap pump from eBay (I paid 19 quid) and suck out through the dipstick hole when the oil is warm (not hot)

On 7/31/2015 at 9:45 PM, williamweb said:

You need a socket set,oil filter pliers or chain and a container for the oil.Thats the basics,what could possibly go wrong.Lol.

Never needed pliers or chains just twisted with a pair of rubber gloves on 😀

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club