Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front End Knocking And Rattle

swampdiver

ok i have a 2001 MK1 1.4 focus, had it a few months now but have a few problems starting with it.

1st is a very tinny rattle ay low revs and when pulling away, although i think this is down to one of the tin heat plates being loose. it seems to be the one that lays under the 1st bend off the down pipe along the front cross member. is it just a case of re fitting the screws that hold it in place or can this be safly removed?

2nd problem. when i go over any bump no matter how small and sometimes pulling away i get a thudding/ knocking noise from the front end. a few people have suggested it may be the drop links or wishbones that need replacing which wont be a prob for me to do, but how do i find out just which one it is before deciding what to change? is it cheaper to replace the whole wishbone or just the bushes and ball joint?

slowly but surely i can do most of the jobs it will need on my own, but due to serious lack of funds i need to do what is going to be the cheapest option to keep the car on the road for the next 12 to 18 month max, so where is the best place to get the parts i will need for the above.?

thanks

no one got any ideas or advice to help me out with?

Regarding the heat shield, you can cut a coke can to fit the corroded bit (if not too big) and you might be able to remove the retainers from the heat shield, poke a hole in the can and use it to hold the heat shield back in place.

If the lower arm bush or track rod end is 'away' it would be cheaper to just buy the bush or the track rod end but to be honest it's easier to just replace the whole arm.

as for the rattling, I would suggest you get this secured and fitted and leave it so, otherwise you could end up in more troubles. It may not do much, but it does protect the underside of the exhaust. I buckled mine a good few months ago - repaired it and the tinny noise went away.

As for the second query, it is more likely to be the CV joints in my opinion. Check if they are torn, or damaged and if there is dirt within.

thanks guys, how would i check if the bottom ball joint is on its way out? i have new track rod ends and drop links on there way as my thinking was better to replace as much as i can now, and these were a reasonable cost, but at £70 min for both sides if i need to replace the wishbone and the work it will entail i would rather make sure they actually need replacing 1st

thanks guys, how would i check if the bottom ball joint is on its way out? i have new track rod ends and drop links on there way as my thinking was better to replace as much as i can now, and these were a reasonable cost, but at £70 min for both sides if i need to replace the wishbone and the work it will entail i would rather make sure they actually need replacing 1st

Jack the front wheel up and grip it at 3/9 o clock and turn it left/right then grip it at top/bottom and do the same again any play if bad enough will be seen at the balljoints. You can also use something to lever against the balljoints to see if there's any movement

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finally got round to looking for the rattle upon starting and at time when running the engine, as it was getting worse and silly loud more than it was silent lol. turns out near the cat there is 2 mounts welded on to the exhaust for a plate to be bolted on. well the front mount had come away from the exhaust and the plate was rattling. so finally got 1 bit sorted out, now i need to sort out replacing both wishbones .