Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"engine System Fault"

Jason S

Hi all, Firstly thank you for accepting me into the group, Right.... as the title says "Engine system fault". My Focus 1.8 Tdci has started to display this and I can't go over 3000rpm-30mph, There are no error codes "BUT" there is a distinct smell of diesel. Can anyone shed any light on this as its driving me nuts as there is no error code so no answer....Thanks.

When was the fuel filter last changed ?

Hi all same thing happened to me one hour ago on way home fromwork eml came on would not go

over 30mph and juddering like mad any help please ..

07 Focus petrol

Hi, I couldn't say if the filter has been changed, I've not had it long...would that cause the symptoms described....

sorry to "hijack" your post Jason but am thinking two birds one stone

• Like 1

open the bonnet and remove the engine cover, you might have a leaking injector, or the fuel return pipes might be worn/loose

if you can locate the diesel try to take a picture if you can. if there are no leaks then first thing would be to change the fuel filter

It sounds like your engine has gone into 'limp mode' like mine did 6 months ago on and off for a time and now permanently. I too have the faint smell of diesel and both the oil light and check engine light are illuminated. Sorry this doesn't help much but from the sound of it you could indeed have a leaking injector. My oil light came on after about 5 minutes of running the engine - the oil became contaminated with diesel. I cannot afford to get a garage to fix the fault and now face the prospect of buying an injector extractor kit which I will probably only use once!.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at the condition of the oil-is there apparently more in there than there was before when you last checked the dipstick and is there an acrid smell. I had the same problem with smell of diesel in the car then after a while the oil warning light went on. I replaced the £36 fuel filter (daylight robbery), then went about changing the oil and oil filter. I also noticed that one of the injectors two 7mm allen headed bolts was quite loose compared to the others - the tightness torque is something like 6nm for these so they dont go very tight. Anyway, it sounded better and for the first 7 miles after this service the engine ran fine and then the blasted oil light came on again!. Unfortunately, I ignored it as the engine sounded fine and all of a sudden the car slowed right up, stopped and wouldnt restart. After about an hour it started but the oil light remained on and the engine sounded like it did before I carried out the service i.e. rough. In essence the leaking injector is contaminating the sump oil creating the low oil pressure condition. May this be a warning!. The car is probably going to the scrap heap shortly because it will cost more than the car is worth (£1000 - its on 188K miles) to get a garage to fit 4 new injectors (if you read all about this elsewhere you'll know that if one injector is faulty the rest are likely to follow). I have contemplated replacing the seals myself but quite frankly my better half wont thanks me for not doing family stuff so it's not a goer..

I think Ford should be ashamed of themselves. There, I've said it!. My other car is a VW and it's got 298K miles on it.

"FIXED".....As of today. after giving all the engines sensors a good clean with carb cleaner, cleaning out the Egr and intake then blanking said Egr with a ss bank plate from fleabay, then a new set of glow plugs as a matter of course and new leak off pipe seals (1 and 2 were peeing out) so much so my tailgate was covered in a thin layer of diesel, she has never ran so well and pulls like a rocket...No warning light....and a healthy 56mpg around town....Thanks to everyone for your help, and I hope this helps fellow enthusiasts in the future... B)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club