Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mp3 cd skips & Usb fitting

jack

I have just been to the Ford dealers about the skipping mp3 cd. Nothing showed up on their system about the problem. He did say if I could get a printout from this forum about the Firmware update, and what the difference is the screens looked like, he would look into it. Basically as much info as possible.

So if anyone can recap on the subject, it would be a great help for me.

I also asked about the post fitting USB. Only one lead showed on the system, but it said 3.5mm jack. It had a picture of it coming out the back of the radio to where the handbrake is. But he was unsure whether it had a usb. He did say that we might need a different head unit. (but if that was the case, a lead with a 3.5mm jack and usb would show up on the system surely)?

Anyway as much info as possible please, maybe some pics of the screen would help (old and new firmware).

Thanks

I'm another one with annoying mp3 skipping. I was using Memorex cdr's. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they said I sholld try a SONY cdr. I thought that was pretty lame actually as its not liek Memorex are unknown manufacturers.

Anyway I tried burnign the disk at a lower speed (only 16X compared to its standard high rate of 40X). I do think this has slighlty improved the skipping issue and I will try and obtain a Sony CDR and give that a whirl.

To Fords credit they did say that if a Sony cdr didnt make any difference then they would have to order me a new CD player.

I did mention that according to this forum there may be a firmware update but the guy looked unsure about that!?

Its very disappointing and you really would think that on a brand new car things like this would not crop up!

Melissa

There is an update but its not easy to find if anybody wants to no i could explain if u wanted to explain to your garage how to do it

if i explained to u how to tell tthem how the update is done would this help?
There is an update but its not easy to find if anybody wants to no i could explain if u wanted to explain to your garage how to do it

Two offers, please back them up!

When I play MP3s off a memory stick through the USB port, I sometimes get some faint 'squeeking' glitches, not sure if its my MP3s, the memory stick or the car - anyone else had anything similar?

will be nice to hire explanation about this, thanks .....

right,get them to put the ids unit on to your car go to new IDS thro symtom based diagnoses go to audio then Speakers and no sound then it should check and c if the car needs the update or not

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Did anyone get anywhere with this.

My Fiesta zetec 1.6 TDCi went in yesterday for it's courtesy check and I told them that the CD skips when over 75% of the disc (MP3 discs).

After the check the engineer came out and told me that 'Ford recommend that only original discs should be played on the stereo, and it was because it was a copied CD'

I told him that the stereo plays MP3 tracks and ALL MP3 discs would be copies. I also told him that on the ford forum people say that this problem can be fixed with a software update. He didn't know anything about it (but he seemed like an idiot so that didn't surprise me).

Is the a definitive answer I can go back with. This is really annoying me.

I have 2 questions regarding mp3's skipping and usb.

Firstly, has anyone managed to find out where you can wire-in the usb socket? I spoke to ford about this and they claim it cant be done, but half hour later, they phoned back and said it can, but when i got there to check what they were ordering they showed me the ford Y cable. I still believe it can be done.

Secondly, kinda related to the mp3 skipping, basically my stereo gets louder and quieter when the stereo is around the 15 volume mark. (and yes i have turned off adaptive volume) this doesnt happen all the time, its completely random, i have taken it to ford and it didnt happen whilst they had it, drove it home and it happened. has anyone else had similar problems?

• 2 months later...

Further to my post in this thread a couple of months ago I just wanted to update you.

My car has now been back to Sandicliffes 3 times. They have replaced the audio unit and you guessed it - its still exactly the same! Happily skipping away over my music. Its driving me bananas and completely ruining my driving pleasure. The handbook says that this unit will play CDR's and i expect it to do just that.

To recap:- I have tried three different brands of CDR's (Sony, TDK, Memorex). I have burnt disks at varying speeds. I have re encoded mp3s to different bit rates and tried burning them. Still it skips. My £10 DVD ROM in my PC plays *all* these disks absolutely fine but two new units in a brand new £11.000 car just cant cut t it!?!

After taking it back to my local dealers a third time they suggested I contact Ford Customer serives. I have now done this and they are supposedly going to look at this further. I will see what happens next...

I seriously think that these units in the basic Fiestas (i have a Style) are just not up to the job.

Melissa

I seriously think that these units in the basic Fiestas (i have a Style) are just not up to the job.

Mine is a Titanium, but also has the low-line (small display) audio system that the Style does. It's exactly the same for MP3 playback as yours: pants.

Chris...

Mine is a Titanium, but also has the low-line (small display) audio system that the Style does. It's exactly the same for MP3 playback as yours: pants.

Chris...

Mines just come back from its first full service and they said they fixed the recall (brake hose) but also did an audio update and a power control unit update what these updates do I haven't a clue, can't be bothered to go out in this weather,