Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My detailing thread...

DanGull

So I woke up this morning to lovely sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. Brilliant think I, just the thing I need for a good first detail on the car.

However, this is only part 1 as it's rained on me :angry:

I did however get all the washing phase done. Part 2 will follow if I can get out again today/this evening.

This thread is just to show how I do it. Disclaimer - I am not a professional, and I haven't been full-on detailing for that long. I do however enjoy it and I'm happy with my results. If anyone wants to comment on anything, feel free.

Armed with tea and biscuits, at 9:30am I got cracking.

Here's the gear...

DSC00949.jpg

Yes, yes, I know - there's a fair bit of it.

This is how the car greeted me...

DSC00954.jpg

First stone chip noted, grrrr.

DSC00974.jpg

First things first, started with a citrus prewash on the lower half of the car using I4D's own brand of citrus snow foam. It's not as foamy as their standard snow foam, but it's still good stuff.

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

This stuff is pretty powerful, so lower half of the car only for now.

DSC00959.jpg

Get it right into the arches. This was left to dwell for 5 minutes and then rinsed off.

Next up - the wheels. Wheels sprayed with Bilberry wheel cleaner (love the stuff, acid free - diluted 3:1) agitated with a swissvax style brush and then rinsed. Tyres and arches then sprayed with Meguiars Degreaser (10:1) and rinsed off.

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanGull

• greenymk7

• Bashful

• paulworthing

Top Posters In This Topic

snow foam time - so much fun! I4D's own again - lovely thick suds. Left to dwell for 10 minutes will I got the Megs All Purpose Cleaner (10:1) out and went into the detailed areas with another brush.

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

Don't forget the sills, petrol cap and other places dirt collects.

DSC00966.jpg

Bucket wash time - Dodo Born to be Mild shampoo using the two bucket method. One bucket is just plain water and is the rinse bucket. Washed using a Megs microfibre wash mitt.

DSC00967.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

Car was then patted dry using a massive microfibre towel and two smaller Dodo ones.

DSC00971.jpg

Glass was dried using a dodo waffle weave towel and spritzed with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar.

DSC00972.jpg

That's better already...

DSC00973.jpg

I was unsure whether to clay or not with it being a brand new car, but the dealership I used it right to a railway line and fallout was a definite possibility, so I decided to start at least.

DSC00975.jpg

Sonus Green clay (cut into 4 pieces) and Dodo Born Slippy lube used.

DSC00976.jpg

After claying the whole bonnet, all I'd got off was this...

DSC00977.jpg

So I decided to save the clay for the next major detail I do.

Car foamed again, and two bucket washed again.

DSC00978.jpg

Who said my car couldn't get any whiter eh?

Into the details with the APC and brush again.

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

Getting better all the time...

DSC00982.jpg

Megs metal polish used on the sill plates. DON'T use this on the chrome trim if you have a Titanium - that's only chromed plastic.

DSC00984.jpg

Shiny...

DSC00985.jpg

Wheels then sealed with two coats of poorboys wheel sealant.

DSC00986.jpg

And tyres dressed with Megs endurance gel.

DSC00987.jpg

That's better...

DSC00988.jpg

THEN IT RAINED. Boo. :angry:

OH I am so going to come up to yours with the tea and biscuits and a chair and watch you do all that to mine when it finally arrives

Your car looks all clean and shiney in the first picture but looks 100 times better by the time you had finished with it Dan.

So how often do you go through this whole regime then?

Thanks Paul and Danzzza - Paul the full works is about every three months. This was supposed to be full protection detail - but if it ever does stop raining I'm going to have to foam the car again before I can apply any protection :angry:

That took from 9:30 to 1ish. Worth it mind.

Danzzza, jetwash is an important part of the wash - it's better than sponges and chamois I suppose!

Now that's what I call dedication. It pays off though Dan - looks as though it could be in a car show. :D

Although I'd like to think I'll keep my car clean and shiny forever, I know that things will inevitably slip and it will then just get cleaned 'as and when'. All the rain we've had up here lately doesn't give you much of an incentive to polish your car all that often. But I will try to keep it looking nice ... after all, my last car lasted me for over ten years - it would be great to think that this one will last just as long, (or at least until the Mk8 is developed!)

An excellent and informative post though - quite inspiring.

So what time shall I pop over to see you do this all over again whith my white Titanium...... ;) xx

I've got to take delivery of mine before I can drive up there and get Dan to work his magic - I am sure the petrol 4 times a year will be worth it . . hehehe

I've got to take delivery of mine before I can drive up there and get Dan to work his magic - I am sure the petrol 4 times a year will be worth it . . hehehe

oi! I thought I was cleaning your car!

actually seeing how dan has done his I would want mine cleaned dan-style as well!

come to think of it, I live in the same county as dan, maybe less than an hour away...

DAAAAAN!

Dan i think me and u should have some fun on other peoples cars at the next meet :lol:

Im still waiting to get some more stuff before i start my autumn/winter detail. spending £200 on products wont go down very well :lol:

i wish i had waiting for white now aswell :(

oi! I thought I was cleaning your car!

actually seeing how dan has done his I would want mine cleaned dan-style as well!

come to think of it, I live in the same county as dan, maybe less than an hour away...

DAAAAAN!

Oi, I'm first in the queue!!

Dan i think me and u should have some fun on other peoples cars at the next meet :lol:

Im still waiting to get some more stuff before i start my autumn/winter detail. spending £200 on products wont go down very well :lol:

Maybe you should hire out your services - I am sure you would be able to cover the cost of all of your cleaning products and still make a tidy profit (how about £5 an hour cash in hand PLUS the cost of the products used . . . )

fine fine, paul first!

ooo yes a meet, lovely. when paul gets his car we should arrange one!

fine fine, paul first!

ooo yes a meet, lovely. when paul gets his car we should arrange one!

I've got a horrible feelingt hat having it once I have got my car could mean it is not going to happen for a long time yet . . . .

Ooohh Frosty looks beautiful Dan, shame about the rain. Really annoys me when that happens! When's it Fabio's turn for a wash and wax? :P

Thanks for the nice words folks.

Greeny - yes I think we should take some gear to the next meet and just stay in the car park the whole time :lol:

People could come and get tips at various different stages they wanted to see.

Paul - it WILL be here before the next meet, November 1st is winning the poll for goodness sake (mike - if you haven't seen it, vote please) and that's ages away.

And will you two stop fighting over me please? I'll happily wash both cars if they're brought here or I'll do it on the next meet.

As for part two - I did manage to get out, foam and dry it again, then bung it in the garage without getting rained on. There I managed to Lime Prime it and get one coat of AG High Def wax on. I'll let that cure tonight and then get a second on tomorrow - third on Saturday and then some Dodo Red Mist on top of the lot. I was trying to beat the weather for most of it, so didn't take many pics - I'll post some more tomorrow when I've got another coat on.

And Greeny - re the white, Black does look fantastic and no matter how hard I try I'll never match your black wet look or reflections - swirl free black looks awesome, and you've got that.

Also, what on earth is claying and what does it do?

Flic - ladies first of course, you come ahead of Mike and Paul :lol:

However well you wash your car, you'll struggle to remove what's known as fallout and other bonded contaminants. Fallout is usually tiny little bits of metal that flat around in the air and stick to your paint. They can then rust, which breaks down the clear coat on your car and is therefore below the top level of your paint. Tar and other muck does similar things. Fallout is most common in industrial areas and around railway tracks.

Because they're effectively bonded to the paint, or below the top level of it, you'll need a clay bar to get them out. The clay grips the bit sticking out of the paint and pulls the rest clear. As you can see from my clay, Frosty is pretty much contaminant free, so I stopped after doing the bonnet. The bits of crap show up on the clay a brown lines and spots usually. You do have to be careful though - the last thing you want is pull out a tiny piece of, say, metal and then drag it across the paint! So, loads of lubrication is needed and the clay needs to be turned/changed very regularly.

Always use lube folks! ;)

Nice work there Dan, looking forward to the end results. ;)

Oh I seeeee! I wish I could do my car as thoroughly as yours by my Diamondbrite is hindering me :( Sometimes wish I never bothered with it!

Cheers Rocky - I can't match you on the photographic front I'm afraid. Well, nor the detailing front because I dare not machine polish yet. :lol:

I can admit it now, because it's gone, I had your car as my desktop the whole time I was waiting for my car to arrive. Hope you don't mind. :lol:

Flic - claying removes bonde contaminants as I say - Diamondbrite being one. :lol:

If you washed, or had your car washed, in the way I've done today (in fact if I increased the concentration of the citrus wash that'd probably be enough on it's own...) I'm sure your Diamondbrite would be off. In fact, I'd be ultra surprised if it was still there anyway!

You reckon it's gone already?! :lol: But I use my preserver as prescribed... What a con, i wanna wax it damnit!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club