Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking From Ford's New 2015 Focus Six Speed Box

MichaelCorbett

I've got the new (2015) Ford Focus with the 1.5 120PS diesel and its mated with Ford's new six speed manual gearbox. I had done less than 3k miles when it started making clunking noises changing in and out of second gear. I put it into the dealer and was told "we can't fix it because our Focus six speed demo car also exhibits that noise". I told them that wasn't satisfactory and to look at it again. Once again they are saying that there's nothing they can do but - because I told them that I'm taking the car on a European driving tour in a few weeks - that they would ask Ford about it.

If my car has the problem and the local garage's Focus also has the problem then I'm pretty sure that other Ford owners will experience this. If you have, please let me know!!

Apart from that, its a lovely car. Handling in particular is superb. Anyone else got one?

• Like 1

Not noticed any problems on my mum's 1.0 EB, my old 2.0 tdci, my current 1.5 EB or the ST I test drove...

Does it only affect the new 1.5 tdci?

Have you tried any other 6 speed Focus?

Yes I get this on the exact same car. Its done it since I've got it and from what ive heard, its normal.

@alexp999 - I used to have a 2.0TDCi diesel Focus and the 'box on that was fine. Its only the new 2015 six speed box that I'm talking about. Not tried any others apart from mine but, as I mentioned in my post, the local dealership have a problem with their demo model too.

@johnS - Interesting. Sounds like you've been talking to other people with this problem. What have they said about it?

The 2015 is only a facelift of the 2011 Focus, so things like the gearboxes should be the same.

The only difference is where they have changed the engine, like the new 1.5 tdci, might have a slightly different ratio setup.

I would look around for some more 1.5 tdci 2015 Focus at other dealers and test drive at least 1 more to see if it is the same.

John Titherman from Ford UK phoned me about this fault and I was told that the clunkiness of the Ford Focus 6 speed gearbox is standard - but Ford do not consider it to be a fault! I was so surprised at this that I made John repeat what he'd just said - but that's the official line.

The local dealer can't do anything about it (because Ford UK won't authorise them to do any work) so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse.

Anyone else out there who's experienced this? Specifically I'm talking about the new six speed manual gearbox fitted to the 2015 revamp of the Ford Focus.

It's not a new gearbox afaik. Not across the entire model range.

Perhaps for the 1.5 tdci as it is a new engine, but any engines carried over should have the same gearbox as before.

I know where you are coming from though, I have had a 6 month argument with Ford over a rattley 1.5 ecoboost which they determine is characteristic.

I can't put up with it, so have had to order another model...

OK I'm sure that Ford have put 6 speed boxes in some of their other models but as far as I know, there wasn't a six speed on the Focus - which is why I say its new. Anything new has teething troubles and I'm just a bit surprised that Ford are trying to sweep these troubles under the carpet.

Sorry to hear about your rattley Ecoboost. Slightly surprised that your solution is to buy another one! But the Focus is a good car, one of the best looking hatchbacks around IMHO.

• Like 2

6 speed box in most of the focus range from 2011 onwards, only the likes of 1.6 petrol and 100hp ecoboost had 5 speed ib5 box

• Like 1

Looked around and didn't like any others, lol.

This is my 4th Ford and other than the rattle I'm really pleased with it.

6 speed gearbox has been available on the Focus Mk3 since 2011 though.

Only the cheap/low powered engines kept the old 5 speed.

The 125PS 1.0 ecoboosts, all diesels and the 1.6, 1.5 and 2.0 ecoboost all use the 6 speed box.

Gentlemen, I stand corrected! Just goes to show, you shouldn't listen to what the car salesman tells you. ;)

• Haha 1

B6 box in 1.0, 1.6 petrol and diesel, mm6 box in 2.0 petrol and diesel, 1.5 petrol and diesel are just lower capacity of 1.6 with a few tweeks, so imagine they still use the b6 box, but may be a new box, not heard anything.

• Like 1

B6 box in 1.0, 1.6 petrol and diesel, mm6 box in 2.0 petrol and diesel, 1.5 petrol and diesel are just lower capacity of 1.6 with a few tweeks, so imagine they still use the b6 box, but may be a new box, not heard anything.

What is the difference between b6 and mm6? Out of interest...

My 6 speed doesnt clunk at all, very smooth

Could it be the rear engine mount has gone, allowing the engine to move as you change gear?

@madmole The car has 5k miles on the clock. Wouldn't expect the rear engine mount to go in that timeframe. Or would you?

Its very weak and flexible. I put a powerflex stiffener in mine at 12K as it was allowing the engine to move a lot, it was remarkably soft. Maybe the new 1.5 rotates more than the older engines?

Easy to check, watch the engine while somebody starts the car

When revving the car with the 1.5L engine the car wobbles. I assume this is the torque of the engine making it move. Does yours do that? Even low revving does it. That could also be why we are getting the noise.

I have 2012 Focus I hear the clunk but it's not as loud as yours. If it's really loud something must be wrong.

On mine its not that loud. Micheal i've found if you accelerate slower then the noise doesn't happen as much.

@everyone - thanks for all the replies and the interest. The local dealership phoned and I'll get my car back tomorrow (they've put me in a dinky Ka for now). When I get it back I'll re-appraise everything. Cheers for now!

Is the b6 , just checked, nothing new about that one.

Mines a 2012 1.6 150 ecoboost with 6 speed manual and it also clunks. Most often (but not all the time) when selecting reverse - I have to hold down the clutch for about 3-4 seconds before it'll slide in easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

According to Getrag's website the 1.0 125 ecoboost, the 1.6 tdci, 1.5 tdci, 1.6 ecoboost and presumably 1.5 ecoboost all use the 6MTT250 gearbox rated for 285 Nm

The 2.0 tdci and 2.0 ecoboost uses the 6MTT450 rated for 450Nm.

So I assume B6 refers to the 6MTT250 and the MM6 is the 6MTT450.

• Like 1

I have a 2012 1.6tdci and it makes a horrible clunk when I change from neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd but ford say it's normal because "it's such a quiet car"!!!

That was while the car was wishing warranty. I may ask them to have another look now the warranty has ended.

According to Getrag's website the 1.0 125 ecoboost, the 1.6 tdci, 1.5 tdci, 1.6 ecoboost and presumably 1.5 ecoboost all use the 6MTT250 gearbox rated for 285 Nm

The 2.0 tdci and 2.0 ecoboost uses the 6MTT450 rated for 450Nm.

So I assume B6 refers to the 6MTT250 and the MM6 is the 6MTT450.

That sounds about right.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club