Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold / Damp Start: Rev Counter Doesn't Work, Dtc E196 Invalid Data For Engine Rpm

tooplanx

Hi all,

I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads that have much info on this.

Basically, just bought the car. Been camping and most mornings I'd start the car and the Rev counter would fall back to 0 and stay there for 10-40 minutes, even though car ran fine and drove around etc. Engine management light would be on and logged an E196 code (which makes sense). After a while the rev counter would start working but the EML would stay on, eventualy turning off later in the day, after a few restarts.

As I say, car runs without issue otherwise.

My main questions:

- Does this sound like a dirty / damp / faulty sensor?

- Which sensor handles the RPM data?

- Where abouts is it located? (Idea is to remove and clean it up)

- How much does this sensor roughly cost to replace?

Many thanks in advance!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Bump?

After doing a bit of research, I think it could be due to a faulty crankshaft sensor, which is a cheap part, so I've bought the part and I'm now trying to locate where it goes! I'd done research before and found a diagram of where it is meant to be and thought I had checked it on my own car. Came to fit it yesterday but the diagram doesn't match my car?! :wacko:

I've got a 1.6 Duratec petrol 2005 Fusion 2. I've looked around online, including workshop-manuals.com, but can't find a diagram that matches my car...

Does anyone have any diagrams of this engine showing the location of this sensor, or links to pictures / videos?

Thanks.

Crankshaft speed/position sensor in covered in the Haynes manual. It is located next to the crankshaft pulley on the right hand end of the engine apparently!

• 2 years later...

hi did U ever find a fix for this issue, minds doing similar except also getting p0335 code on my reader. Change the crank sensor and still the same