Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What A Joke!

Ianb

Got to hand it to Admiral, they've opened up a new comedy department and let them loose on the renewal quotes! Some funny **** there!

I'm livid... Admiral as you may or may not know, send you out an automatic email renewal and then I believe they actually go ahead and process that when the time comes *Avoided that fortunately!

So anyway, I do the clickety click thing open up my renewal policy and it's: ~ £468......

Now to put things into perspective.. I have been with Admiral for 3 or 4 years, I have 10 years no claims discount, I now have 1 incident on my file because an illegally parking truck driver reversed into my vacated legally parked car, he admitted full fault and blah blah blah, admirals useless garaged messed up my car in the process of 'fixing it' and never accepted fault.... *back on topic Ian*.. so yeh, 10 years no claims, and last year my premium? £288..... Admiral want to charge me £180 over last year?!?!? I have no convictions no anythings and they want to screw me over???

So anyway, phoned them up and the lovely lady on the phone tells me that it's all generated automatically - alright, fair enough I suppose. She tells me she can apply some loyalty discount or some BS... woopdedoo.. it's down to £380... I laughed... I asked her if she was having a fun time joking with me? She tweaked a few things and finally it's sitting at £314 or 318 or some danglies like that....

She asked me what I thought... I was composed enough not to scream abuse down the phone. I informed her that I thought it was a joke and that £314 was more than I paid last year even though I now had another successful years motoring under my belt... I told her that I accept markets move and that if I was paying the same as last year then so be it, but that the fact it's now pushed through the £300 mark is a joke. Then she told me she could add some kind of "lose a limb and win" sort of cover on there or something for free... when I told her how about she keeps that cover and just removes the amount it WOULD cost off the quote she told me she couldn't.

My word I'm livid. I mean why am I surprised?!? I chuckle as others go bat faeces crazy about their renewal quotes, but here I am shocked as ever.

Looks like I'm going to have to waste a lot of time shopping around *sigh*

Edited by Stoney871

at insurance time cars or bikes a wait for the renewal and go on the web for the cheaper ones and pick one , I once had a renewal from a company went on the net and the same company was £100 cheaper what a joke

• Like 1

at insurance time cars or bikes a wait for the renewal and go on the web for the cheaper ones and pick one , I once had a renewal from a company went on the net and the same company was £100 cheaper what a joke

It's ridiculous, I have to waste my time doing that. Especially as their excuse was that last year they price matched the price hence why it was so low... I told them they price matched a SISTER COMPANY... so it was their own fault for not being consistent... ridiculous. Better go to the gym tonight and put some of this annoyance to good use...

They try to dissuade renewals because for every year you stick with them the risk of a claim increases.

I was with CIS for 3 years on my previous car and when I got the BeaST they wouldn't even quote me.

Makes me laugh really. I mean emergency services are not immune to accidents/tickets etc, but there is a hell of a lot riding on clean records and a lot of training... you'd think they'd be a safer bet.

Who did you go with in the end?

Totally agree.

I'm an Advancced Response trained driver with a clean licence and no at-fault claims so a pretty safe bet.

I went with Esure, swapped an 8 year old 1.8 diesel for a brand new ST and still shaved £100 off the previous premiums.

Go figure.

There are so many factors that can affect a quote, even how you describe your job or what side of a road you live on.

• Like 1

Totally agree.

I'm an Advancced Response trained driver with a clean licence and no at-fault claims so a pretty safe bet.

I went with Esure, swapped an 8 year old 1.8 diesel for a brand new ST and still shaved £100 off the previous premiums.

Go figure.

There are so many factors that can affect a quote, even how you describe your job or what side of a road you live on.

...and apparently the alignment of the planets...

I'll try a bunch, do you tell people you're part of ford owners club too?

Your postcode also comes into play when getting a quote, I'm in EH54 (classed as Livingston) yet if I lived 100 yards across the road in another postcode area my insurance would be cheaper!

• Like 1

I'll try a bunch, do you tell people you're part of ford owners club too?

That question never comes up on comparison sites.

Your postcode also comes into play when getting a quote, I'm in EH54 (classed as Livingston) yet if I lived 100 yards across the road in another postcode area my insurance would be cheaper!

Many factors come into play.

Crime statistics are one of them.

You could live in an area with zero car crime reports which gives a quote in your favour.

One day someone in your area gets a wing mirror snapped off, they choose to report this to their local force and therefore car crime shows a 100% jump in that area.

This can be enough to add many pounds to a car policy.

Voting status, house prices, postcode, marital status, age, employment status/job title, etc. All make a big difference.

You could live in an area with zero car crime reports which gives a quote in your favour.

One day someone in your area gets a wing mirror snapped off, they choose to report this to their local force and therefore car crime shows a 100% jump in that area.

Voting status, house prices, postcode, marital status, age, employment status/job title, etc. All make a big difference.

Wouldn't ask for your address but do you live in an 'ok' area? Bit of a mixed bag where we are... On one hand it's a great Street, on the other, it's a decent thoroughfare for some nice scrotes...

Wouldn't ask for your address but do you live in an 'ok' area? Bit of a mixed bag where we are... On one hand it's a great Street, on the other, it's a decent thoroughfare for some nice scrotes...

Good old Plymouth eh?

Good old Plymouth eh?

It's "on the up" apparently... Or so every keeps telling me...

It's "on the up" apparently... Or so every keeps telling me...

Like your blood pressure ;)

• Like 2

Like your blood pressure ;)

Haha, it's coming down now... Back from the gym having a drink, then will jump into bed... Still home alone sadly haha, maybe the fiancée is trying to hint something :s

Bored at home off duty so went for a cruise.

Lovely clear roads and since the big resurfacing binge here, less potholes to rattle the teeth :)

Exeter Street?

All the roads are far better than last year.

Still more to do though.

Some silly sausage struck a match in the abandoned hotel again, would have loved to wonder round the abandoned place. I think they missed our road with the resurfacing, it's rubbish, they just filled some of the holes with stones...

As does telling your insurance company your car is kept in a locked secure works car park when your on night shift! A mates insurance actually went up when he told them this!!!!

I've got a preferential rate on my insurance due to a family member working with the company, a few times I've called them and asked why the new premium has risen greatly when I haven't made any claim since being with them in over 20 odd years. Last year their excuse was the quote was based on a car valued at £6000 (it was when I originally bought it in 2007!) but as It was now a 10 year old Fiesta Zetec 1.4 it would be worth a lot less, so I said it was probably worth £1500 (or less) their quote suddenly dropped to less than I was originally paying! RIP OFF Britain or what!

• Like 1

I always shop around for insurance...pain though it is. The annual 'automatic' renewal is a complete joke. I've actually done a new quote with the same company via their website and got a cheaper quote! Go figure! It's quite funny when they ask who your previous insurer was for no-claims proof.

Last year I paid £280 for my 2005 Mondeo ST (with a few declared mods). I valued it conservatively at £4000. I'm very surprised to be getting quotes for the new Mondeo of just over £200 when it's worth 7x more and kicks out 240ps compared to the ST's 160ish. I'm sure they think of a number and multiply it by whatever the hour hand is pointing at on the clock.

Don't forget you can also get some good rebates using cashback sites. TopCashBack is offering £50 back on a new Aviva policy.

A friend of mine also said about cashback sites. I'm really ignorant to them, how do they work?

I use Quidco. You make all of your purchases by visiting websites via their website... It doesn't change the shopping experience at all. I just look on it as free money as it's just money coming back from stuff I was going to buy anyway. Even if you're only getting a small percentage back it does all add up. Occasionally there are some very attractive rates up to 10%. I've just booked a holiday and thanks to the cashback I've saved £100 simply for two more mouse clicks than going straight to the tour operators website.

So for instance if it said my quote was idk £300 but I get £100 then I still have to fork out the £300 but I get credit on that website or back on my card?

Yeah. I use TopCashBack. You pay out the full price of the item/product/etc and once confirmed you can get vouchers (eg Amazon) or have the cash paid directly into your bank via BACS.

NB Insurance cashback usually has a delayed payout to stop you cancelling after a few weeks.

As Dan says - it's just the same as shopping as usual on the 'net. I've had over £600 in the past five years. Easy money!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club