Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St Loud Tapping Noise

cgooderham94

In the last week my ST has developed some very nasty noises coming from the engine bay. It sounds like a loud tapping noise which can be heard with bonnet closed, open, in the car with windows shut too. It's only got 700 miles on the clock, picked it up two weeks ago. I'm very worried as it really doesn't sound like it should be making these noises, didn't do this in the first week.

I've attached a 10 sec video and if you listen carefully behind the normal engine noise is a loud tapping. Anyone else have/had this problem and knows what it is? Should I take it back to the dealer?

Here's the video if it didn't already upload...

Still hasn't uploaded!

If it's an ecoboost engine, they're reknown for their annoying tapping noises. Have you checked your oil? They also have a repuation of being under and overfilled from the factory

It could be something more sinister... But for a car so new, it's unlikely but not unheard of

Does the noise only happen when the car is at running temperature or as soon as you start it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Sorry that the videos didn't upload last night. I have got two videos here for you too look at. The first is of last night after driving for 10 minutes (The tapping sound is quite loud behind the normal engine noise). This morning, I checked the oil which is slightly on the high side (shown in pic) started the car from cold and there was no tapping sound. Let it idle for five minutes and the tapping noise has reared its ugly head again although not as loud. I then took it for a five minute drive up the road and recorded the engine again and now the noise is back in full swing (second video)...

See what you guys think, i'm certainly not happy...

IMG_1452.MOV

post-60136-0-30749900-1439108537_thumb.j

IMG_1455.MOV

Can you take a recording of the noise with the bonnet shut - my dad has a 14 plate focus ST ecoboost engine and he wants to see if it's the same noise?

I've started it up and driven it for five minutes again now and I can't get the sound to happen now. So frustrating! It's definitely going to be a trip back to Ford. A friend of mine is a service manager at ford and he said it should go back, he's never heard that noise before. 😣

When my parents took theirs back to fords a week ago after only having it 4 days they hadn't herd it before! And they still don't know and still have the car. One minute they said they were recalling the car then they said there might be a recall and now they are saying it's just a characteristic of the car ... If you get any answers let me know

I've actually been to see a mate of mine who's a really skilled mechanic. Without opening it up and just by listening he's taken a pretty good guess that it's coming from the variable valve timing unit. I will be taking it back to Ford tomorrow with this information and get them to investigate from there...

Regarding the oil, I checked mine yesterday and it's also a bit on the high side - looks almost exactly like yours. Mine's not an ST though, but it seems like they overfill it at the factory.

Regarding the oil, I checked mine yesterday and it's also a bit on the high side - looks almost exactly like yours. Mine's not an ST though, but it seems like they overfill it at the factory.

Alot of people have said on here, not only do they OVERfill they sometimes UNDERfill too!

Yeah, my local mechanic was surprised at how overfilled it was. Got him to have a listen and he seems to think the noise is coming from the variable valve timing unit.

Rang ford and they've booked it in for Thursday, have to wait and see the outcome now...

Sorry that the videos didn't upload last night. I have got two videos here for you too look at. The first is of last night after driving for 10 minutes (The tapping sound is quite loud behind the normal engine noise). This morning, I checked the oil which is slightly on the high side (shown in pic) started the car from cold and there was no tapping sound. Let it idle for five minutes and the tapping noise has reared its ugly head again although not as loud. I then took it for a five minute drive up the road and recorded the engine again and now the noise is back in full swing (second video)...

See what you guys think, i'm certainly not happy...

I can hear normal injector tapping. Possibly a faint knocking but hard to tell in the video...?

• Like 1

That's ok my son has the same fiesta as yours and his is like that

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

If his is like that then I'd be straight back to Ford. This engine is 700 miles old and it sounds like a diesel already, I dread to think what it will be like in 80,000

is it the valve train adjusting (tivct)

Jamie

I was told that the noise is coming from the VVT. What needs doing to it I'm not sure, I will let you know. This noise most definitely is not normal

I was told that the noise is coming from the VVT. What needs doing to it I'm not sure, I will let you know. This noise most definitely is not normal

thats right heres a cracker mr parrot :-)

• Like 1

Mine sounds a bit like that but maybe not with quite such a loud "knocking" sound. I'll have a listen next time I get in the car. I've certainly never heard any knocking sounds from inside the car with the windows closed.

Is this when the engine has warmed up or when cold, or both?

I took it in yesterday and they said they couldn't get it to make the noise, typical! It is quite quiet when cold but makes the loud tapping when hot.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club