Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St Loud Tapping Noise

cgooderham94

Mines quite tappy at idle. I just thought it was normal.

I've got a strange faint clattery sound when I boot it. Only initially. Once the revs get up it goes away.. It's worse when I use cheap supermarket petrol.

Oh and my ST illuminated sill plate on the drivers side only half illuminates now.

Hmm. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It's worse when I use cheap supermarket petrol.

I've heard others say their cars run smoother on high octane fuel such as V-Power (which I've always used for my ST) so maybe that's worth a try to see if that stops the loud tapping noises. Give it a couple of tank fulls to wait for the fuel to get through the system and the ECU to re-learn.

Oh and my ST illuminated sill plate on the drivers side only half illuminates now.

That's a common problem but can be fixed under warranty.

on regards of the engine oil being overfilled ford have issued a bulletin regarding this and it is done deliberatly from the factory for the engine run in period

• Like 1

on regards of the engine oil being overfilled ford have issued a bulletin regarding this and it is done deliberatly from the factory for the engine run in period

That's interesting, because I noticed mine was slightly overfilled when it was new, and also after I had an early oil change at a dealer and again after the first service. Do you know if the bulletin said how long the "run in period" is and when the oil level should be reduced to the normal level?

• Like 1

That's interesting, because I noticed mine was slightly overfilled when it was new, and also after I had an early oil change at a dealer and again after the first service. Do you know if the bulletin said how long the "run in period" is and when the oil level should be reduced to the normal level?

the run in period i think is around 1000 mls stated in the handbook but because the ecoboost engines drink oil during the run in period Ford deliberately overfilled it to last until the first service to prevent lack of oil in the engine

• Like 2

Here is the TSB issued to dealers

post-50141-144008332649_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

^ It looks like it's saying only "GTDi" engines are overfilled, so I assume that means diesels. Or is that just a funny abbreviation and it's actually talking about the 1.5 and 1.6 litre Ecoboost engines?

• Like 2

^ It looks like it's saying only "GTDi" engines are overfilled, so I assume that means diesels. Or is that just a funny abbreviation and it's actually talking about the 1.5 and 1.6 litre Ecoboost engines?

Noooo it's the technical abbreviation to the Ecoboost engines bud

• Like 1

That's good, so maybe the engines are designed to work properly with a little extra oil in them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd spark up this thread again, I have an update on the situation. I decided to try a different Ford garage this time and finally they agree that the sound is not normal and the issue is stemming from the variable valve timing unit/area. The matter has now been taken up with ford technical team and i'm now waiting on their decision on what they will do to resolve it.

• Like 3

Give you a new ST hopefully.

700 miles takes the biscuit.... :wacko:

My ST has always been a little on the Tappety side, parents own an ST as well but they never let me near it so couldn't compare...

I was debating taking mine back in for a look but thought it was normal so please keep us updated as it'll let me decide what I need to do with mine!

• Like 1

Yeah they are known to be a bit tappety when ticking over. Having the Mountune exhaust helps, it drowns out most other noise at low revs haha.

• Like 1

I agree the engines are very tappety but this noise is different, it really doesn't sound right when it does it.

So I rang ford today after waiting for two weeks and I have the following update... The matter was taken to ford technical UK and the issue was then referred to Ford Germany and Ford China. Their agreement is that the first step that should be taken is that an oil filter and oil change should be carried out. The weird thing is, the oil that the garage have been instructed it use is 0w40; against the specification of 5w40...

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for everyone ford are currently investigating this issue as shown in this broadcast message from etis they should release more info soon post-50141-144666589594_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's peculiar, that's just another one of the noises that my car makes along with the whole range of others. I have now raised a complaint with ford motor company and have categorically stated I am rejecting my car

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After many other issues with my car, the dealership have accepted rejection of my car. Have put in a new order for a Focus ST-3 as a replacement, now have a gruelling wait until February/March next year I'm told.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

hi what was the out come on this?

I brought a new focus st mk3 2017 and had it 3weeks and could hear a knocking when idling. i showed my friend who is a mechanic and he said it's not normal and sounds like bottom end or oil pump. 

I took this bk to ford and the out come was new engine but I refused and got a new st. but on pick up I could hear the same nasty noise. 

any advise where to go from here? 

I'll up load a video later today.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club