Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.8 Diesel 06 Wont Start

nimmo

I'm looking for some help with my 2006 ford focus 1.8 diesel.

The car will not start without using easy-start, it tries to start (turning over) but nothing. We have replaced both cam and crank sensors, a new fuel filter (ford genuine part) and bled it using a hand vacuum pump (no air bubbles), new air filter and glow plugs.

We have used a hand held diagnostic device and said it was fault code p0089 fuel pressure regulator fault. We checked the sensor it self and seems to be fine when you disconnect it while running it seems to run on 3 cylinders (limp home mode).

When checking the injectors it seems fine the pressure is great and plenty of fuel coming out same on the pump as well. I know the fuel pump are bad on the model but seems to be working great.

We have checked the EGR and was dirty so we have cleaned it but didn't make any difference.

The engine fault light comes on and every time we clear it, it still wont start and comes back. There was little flakes of metal in the old filter so I know we will need to clean the fuel lines out and tank but don't think this would stop it from starting normally.

I have been told to replace the pump and if that doesn't work then replace the ECU but very expensive and don't want to do this if the problem is still there.

the car runs and drives very well when you use easy start, can go past 3000 revs and hit over 100mph.

Any advice would be great as i have ran out of ideas. thanks

I have 2009 1.6 tdci and same thing is happening. Ive done my injectors, replaced egr valved and done fuel filter. Car starts sometimes and other times not. If left over night it will start fresh next morning. Cannot find fault. Do you mind me asking where you went to? I dont have easy start option? my car is manual

P0089 is basically low fuel pressure & can be caused by a multitude of possibilities

• Like 1

My car has same fault coming up fuel pressure, where would you start to try and solve problem

Metal particles in the fuel filter probably indicates that the fuel pump is disintegrating & this would certainly cause low fuel pressure

• Like 3

Annemarie - do you have any fault codes ? If not you need a diagnostic investigation first of all :)

Mark - Ive had the car checked on diagnostic and fuel pressure is coming up as a fault. What would you recommend me doing?? Sorry to be a pest its costing me lot of money to get to the bottom of it.

So we put the car into the garage to have a full diagnostic done and they have said it's the pump valve but said that we are best to just replace the whole fuel pump and this should fix the starting problem. Sensors are all working so we have a new pump ordered and will keep you updated. Cost 140.00 for the full test and pump pressure reading.

Annemarie - it could well be the fuel pump - but remote diagnosis isn't easy - what does the garage say other than a fuel pressure issue ?

MArk - garage saying feul pressure low he still has car im meeting him tonight after work to see what story is or any update. Someone has also suggested software update?

Annemarie - a software update is a possibility - but ask him to test the fuel pump pressure as done by the other poster in this thread with a similar issue to you

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So new fuel pump installed took 7 hours but didn't need to remove the engine and the car starts first time every time so problem solved. There was tiny bits of metal in the fuel filter but I didn't think that would of been the cause seeing how it never had any loss of acceleration but there you go. Thanks for help guys and hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Metal particles in the fuel filter probably indicates that the fuel pump is disintegrating & this would certainly cause low fuel pressure

Indeed a common problem on Vauxhall Vivaro's at a dealer requires a complete change of every part of the fuel system.

• Sad 1

Graeme, how much did the new fuel pump and fitting cost you in the end?

glad you got it sorted out.

The pump was £120 on eBay and my mate took 140 for fitting it. For a brand new pump it was like £300 just for the part.

• 4 years later...

i've ford 1.8 tdci 115 h my cranck sensor is broken a the end; the resistance mesured is 431 ohm but the owner indictates 530 ohm  is my spart out of order

thanks.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:27 AM, mahfoud said:

i've ford 1.8 tdci 115 h my cranck sensor is broken a the end; the resistance mesured is 431 ohm but the owner indictates 530 ohm  is my spart out of order

thanks.

You really should start your own thread, rather than resurrecting a thread that has been dead for over 4.5 years.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

We replace valves and guides on Ford Focus tdci 1.8. Now the car cranks but won't  start 

On 11/26/2020 at 4:51 AM, Mollie said:

We replace valves and guides on Ford Focus tdci 1.8. Now the car cranks but won't  start 

You really should start your own thread, rather than resurrecting a thread that has been dead for over 5 years!  If you start your own thread there will be more chance the people will actually read your post because they won't have to read through all the older posts like there are on this thread.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club