Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk 3, Attempted Theft?

Bulk

Hi.

Had a call from my neighbour that I had left a window open on my mk3 focus. Suspicious at this I decided to leave work early to investigate.

I have got home and all 4 windows were fully down and the boot was shut but I could open it by pressing the button on the boot lid. No alarms went off when I lent through the windows and waved my arms about. Although as I said, I could open the boot... but I checked all 4 doors and they wouldn't open because they were dead locked...., so any ideas why the boot could be opened?

Are there any legitimate reasons why the windows would fully open themselves and the boot open despite the car supposedly being deadlocked and alarmed? Nothing has been stolen from the car but has someone potentially broken into my car to steal it or is there something else I can check?

I have started the car and been able to close the windows which doesn't indicate a problem with them. Its a 2011 titanium x if that makes a difference.

Ideas would be appreciated, cheers.

Perhaps the global opening feature got activated and then the car re-locked itself.

I think the Titanium X has keyless entry as standard which would explain why you could access the boot without unlocking the car. Unless you didn't have the key on you when you tried?

I would expect the alarm to go off when you lent in though, unless again, the keyless entry prevented that from happening as it detected the key...

• Like 1

Hi.

The car doesn't have keyless entry as I don't think it was standard on the earlier titanium x's, but it does have push button start if that makes it more steal-able.

Ok, more confusing then....

Could still be global opening that caused all windows to open, but the boot shouldn't open with the car locked without keyless entry...

I don't know if there is a way of seeing if any new keys have been programmed to the car.

Shame it is not under warranty as any investigation work by Ford will cost now...

• Like 1

When I unlock the car with the key fob only the drivers door opens, the 3 other doors remain locked. Don't know if that further points the finger into a different direction?

No mate I thought all the doors opened when you pressed the unlock button? When I press it twice all the doors open. is this normal? I never press the open button twice and I have had people get into the passenger seats no trouble? I have done a bit more digging. I researched global opening that you mentioned. When I hold down the open key all the windows open, which does explain how that can happen. If I leave it like that the windows stay open but the car does auto lock the doors again after inactivity. I can figure out how I was able to open the boot though because when I try recreating this the boot always stays locked as you said it should. So don't know how/why I was able to open it at the press of a button on the boot lid?

I think there is a way of changing the mode that the unlock button operates in.

By default it unlocks all, but I read somewhere about changing it to only drivers door.

Not sure of the exact process, or how it would have done it itself...

• Like 1

Sounds like youve sat on the buttons in your pocket or faulty fob to me, if you press the lock and unlock together it enables duoble unlocking, as in 1 press only unlocks drivers door and 2nd press unlocks remaining doors and boot. Do the same to both buttons and it reverts to 1 press and all doors unlock

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for both your help. I suppose I could have easily unlocked the boot at the same time as doing all the other stuff on the fob whilst sitting or sleeping on it so at least all of it can be explained. Cheers.

Forgot to say when pressing both buttons, keep them pressed until indicators flash, then you know the unlocking function has changed.

• Like 1

I have a similar car. I accidentally unlocked the boot while I was inside my house changing the battery in the fob. I was surprised how far away from the car you can be to lock and unlock it. I think that there is a warning about accidental operation of the fob in the handbook. Also the car will lock itself if unlocked and a door is not opened.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club