Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 Litre Ecoboost Turbo On A Standard 1.25?

JordonL
聽Share

Hi all,

First time I've ever posted on here! Was hoping for some advice馃槅

I will bring you up to speed! I recently bought a 1.25 Ford Fiesta edge 2012 plate so it's a mk 7 I think, I have bought this car on finance and as it was my first decent car I got excited and didn't research properly I then found out there was two of these cars made one that had 49 bhp and other with 70 bhp I think this is the numbers! I bought the slower of the two! I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference between the cars are? Is it the ecu? Is it the air intake? If this information is even true? I was also wondering if I could put a 1.0 ecoboost turbo on this car to give it a little more pull? Or is it going to be very expensive to do so? Just thought the 1.25 engine would be able to handle the turbo for a 1.0! I might be mistaken though!

Thanks for any help or advice in advanced

Turbo upgrading is expensive, complicated and nothing you'll do in in a few hours on the streets.

If you want some extra performance for your 1.25, sell it and get a 1.0 Ecoboost. That'll be much easier. ;)

Ps. The Mk7 has got the 1.25 duratec engine with 60 and 82bhp.

• Like 2

It's a popular misconception that a turbo can be fitted to any car without massive expense and work. Then try telling your insurance..

Hello from Fife though :)

• Like 1

I would sell the car but it's currently on finance and I'm only 7 months in to my agreement! Do you know what the difference between the difference between the 60 and 82 bhp engines are? I understand that it's expensive but thought it might have been less expensive to put the 1.0 turbo on than say the turbo for the 1.6 St?

Thanks again

I would sell the car but it's currently on finance and I'm only 7 months in to my agreement! Do you know what the difference between the difference between the 60 and 82 bhp engines are? I understand that it's expensive but thought it might have been less expensive to put the 1.0 turbo on than say the turbo for the 1.6 St?

Thanks again

You would be better waiting a little while or atleast asking the finance company what they can do if you want to change for another car.

The principles of a turbo are the same so a turbo from a 1.0 or the 1.6 doesn't really change anything.

• Like 1

Thats starting to look like my only option just now! I'm guessing it's a bit of a mystery between the two different bhp in the 1.25 duretec engine? Ok I didn't know that, every day is a learning day though I suppose.

The difference aren't huge between the 60 and 82bhp versions but there are some.

First one are different throttle valves in these two versions. Second difference is the gear ratio on the 82bhp version in the final (5th.) gear and last but not least a varied ECU, wich closes the intake valves at a later timing in the 82bhp version.

That's how you'll get the 22 extra horsepower from the "bigger" engine, though the capacity, bore and stroke are the same.

• Like 2

Is it expensive for the throttle valves? I'm guessing trying to change the gear ratio will be extremely expensive and will the car benefit from a remap then? Or would I have to ask for the car to be mapped to the specs of the "bigger" engine for best results?

You could get a remap bluefin to make it 90 bhp I think

So a bluefin remap will give my car 50% more power than before? I didn't think remaps had that a big impact on a non turbo car?

You should be careful with chiptuning/remapping a naturally aspirated engine. These remaps on smaller engine often just change the fuel/air-rate, wich will be led into the cylinder.

Because of that the exhaust gas in the exhaust gas recirculation system will produce/"include" more nitrogen oxide (NOx), wich leads to a higher temperature and therefore a lot more stress/load on the engine overall.

And that COULD lead to a shorter lifespan.

In my humble opinion, stick with your car, drive it for a few years and the next one you'll buy, should be a model with this little touch of extra power. ;)

I see so it could be detrimental to the car life? Is there ways to counteract these effects such as better radiator? Or better exhaust system? In theory if I was to remap the car and change the throttle valves would it I get 90 bhp?

Although I never really searched for a remapping of the 1.25 Duratec engine, I do not think that you'll get from the standard 60bhp version to 82-90bhp without hardware mods on the engine itself.

Here in Germany, there's only one tuner wich would offer such a remap (for 500! Euro by the way :o ) and it'll only bring +12bhp and +15Nm of tourqe under BEST conditions.

Well, I wouldn't even think about it. :D

• Like 1

What mods would take it to say the 90-100 mark? If what mikeyd1 said was true the remap could take it to 90 then the throttle change would also help a little I'm guessing? Better exhaust system? I'm not looking for super speed here just something that can pull me and 2 passengers up a steep hill without being battered! I've found I slightly abuse the car because of its lack of power which will probably be just as bad for the engine?

If this is your first decent car, I'm going to assume you're fairly young? . . . The painful but best advice would be just to do body styling mods (notify insurance) drive it to build up a no claims and once you've paid off the finance sell it or part ex it.

• Like 1

I'm 21 so I am fairly young I had a 1.4 golf and a 1.4 Clio before I got this car both costing under 拢1000 that's what I meant about decent this car is actually in good condition and reliable! I have a white edge tho so interior isn't to the highest standard and then alloy wheels cost just as much as a remap and then doing all this body modding it would most likely be black to contrast the white then I will have a car similar to most and still painfully slow! Is there anything you would recommend like changing the throttle body etc to give it less delay! I've found as well that when the car is taken a bit of a bashing in the revs it's like it lags power out and then loses it rather than delivers it?

I'm 21 so I am fairly young I had a 1.4 golf and a 1.4 Clio before I got this car both costing under 拢1000 that's what I meant about decent this car is actually in good condition and reliable! I have a white edge tho so interior isn't to the highest standard and then alloy wheels cost just as much as a remap and then doing all this body modding it would most likely be black to contrast the white then I will have a car similar to most and still painfully slow! Is there anything you would recommend like changing the throttle body etc to give it less delay! I've found as well that when the car is taken a bit of a bashing in the revs it's like it lags power out and then loses it rather than delivers it?

Ah right, I suppose body styling is a bit pointless, in the end, I just thought it could be away of getting your car to look nice without making it faster. Back in my day when I was your age everyone was driving around in those 1.2 corsa b's with bit jap bumpers and wide arches haha.

No, mate, I wouldn't bother tuning anything on that model really. Then again I haven't driven it so I'm not sure how "painful" it is.

It's a lot of money to add weight etc to the car! And where I stay there is so many sitting that all look the same now! It's extremely painful would It not be worth while bringing it up to the 82 Bhp by doing the changes that was said previously the throttles about 拢70 and a remap costs about the same as a nice set of alloys really! do you know anyways of getting your car swapped early in a finance agreement?

Just accept that it's not worth the money / hassle getting anymore power. Sell it and buy a more powerful car or stick with what you've got till you can afford to sell it and get a more powerful car, simple ;)

• Like 3

I came here to look for advice and suggestions I've already explained I can't sell the car and was looking for any suggestions on how to make it a little faster.

Well, your welcome to look for any advices here but it just don't make sense to try to get a "little extra power" out of the 1.25 non-turbo i4 engine.

There is no way to really achieve more power from it, without taking alot of money into your hands, spent alot of time or go jeopardy with the durabiltyy of the engine.

Live with what you got at the moment and in a few years you can look for something new.

And imo the 1.25 duratec isn't a bad engine. It's relatively simple but it revs nice and smoothly.

The best advice anyone seems to have is sell the car though not really helpful? The advice started great then went down hill from there

Ok, well, if you don't find it helpful, it's up to your decision.

Google that subject, find a remap and buy it. It can be that simple and it seems that's what you really want.

You can do with your car, whatever you want. But i can tell you, a remap will be not much use nor will it significant more power.

There are better ways to burn money.

• Like 1

From the first information I got there was a few things could be done to bring it to the 82 bhp rather inexpensivly compared to spending more money on a new car? I.e 拢400 on a remap and throttle compared to 拢10000 roughly on a new car? Thanks for the advice given

One thing to consider is . . . if you buy the bluefin obviously that's your choice. But if you took it to a tuning shop, they'd most likely advise against it as it will not add enough to warrant the price, and that was for a 1.6 with 132ps as standard. (I tried it lol)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club