Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kuga (2011) Titanium X (diesel) - Engine Malfunction

neildsharp

Hi all,

Curious to know if anyone can offer any advice/support. I've had my Kuga Titanium X 2.0 Diesel for 6 months and i'm having so much trouble with constant 'Engine Malfunction' red triangle warnings.

Has been in and out of the local Ford garage 5 times now, plus 2 RAC call outs. Every time, by the time they have come to look at it, the fault clears so nothing shows up on the diagnostic. However clearly there is a problem as it keeps doing it and have been been told about the same problem on a friends.

So far have have paid out for 3 diagnostic reads, cleared fault codes 3 times, and replaced DPF sensor - none of which seem to have helped so I can't even tell if that was money well spent. Despite having read some forums and had some advice from an RAC friend about faults, Ford keep telling me there's nothing wrong with the model, and I seem to be banging my head against a brick wall. Typically it's out of warranty.

The final straw the other day was when it juddered to a halt in when I was on a main road on my way to work, causing total chaos as I just couldn't do anything with it. As an automatic it doesn't take a car expert to acknowledge that, that isn't right.

So, any advice welcome. At least if I can show the 'all denying' Ford garage there are some common faults it might make them do something a bit more helpful than just plug it in to a computer and tell me it's fine! :-/

Thanks for any help you can offer

Neil

post-67845-0-97630300-1439635875_thumb.j

The car should have come with a 6 month warranty when you bought it if from a trader.

So if you have only had it 6 months you shouldn't have needed to pay for any work.

Have you been taking it back to the same place you bought it?

Thanks - came with a 3 month warranty from this trader.

Thank you. Wasn't aware of that. I bought the car on Dec 20th '14.

Having been in touch with them (12th June '15) when the fault started, they told me it was out of the 3 months warrant they gave me so I'd have to take it to Ford to sort out and told me it wasn't for them to deal with. They also told me it was probably something to do with the gear box.

Grateful for the help!

Neil

So the problem still goes on, despite Ford having it for 2 days and re-setting the computer :( :angry::wacko:

Video attached of what happens. So that's a DPF replaced, a full re-install of the PCM and a number of 'no fault' diagnostics when there clearly is a fault.

Anyone?

Video (1).MOV

What part of dpf replaced and for what reason was it replaced

On your vid you got esp light on , is that on every time the engine malfunction comes up?

Hi,

In answer to your questions Ian. Welcome to my world ........which you may regret :-/

2nd Feb - Diagnostic done because the warning came up with 'Transmission Limited Function' - carried out IDS checks. No fault codes found in memory. Tthis is where the saga stars

<insert 3 more times for engine malfunction to happen, always resetting itself by the time checked with no fault codes>

12th June - further warning lights. (no EPS warning but engine light came on) carried out IDS diagnositcs, found code for fuel and engine torque and some from remote frequency A. Cleared codes and retested. All ok. Recommended could be fuel issue.

16th June - same issues as 12th. Replaced DPF sensor (F1786775 sensor assembly) - they thought this was the solution to the problem.

<insert 3 more warning light 3 more times, 2 with EPS light coming on - all of which reset 30 mins / 1 hour later>

7th August - Engine malfunction light AGAIN with EPS, Engine light and oil Light 'I' symbol red engine malfunction. Engine also completely cuts out / stalls in a busy street. Unable to restart for 10 mins. Again resets self and no error codes.

13th August - same again as above and engine light stayed on for entire journey.

17th Aug - Completely cuts out, no lights or warnings. Again resets after 10 mins

17/18th Aug - (in Ford garage for 5th time) - complete PCM update to main control module. Fully reset. Bought car home no issues

19th Aug - Drove 30 miles to work, no issues. Went to start car to come up - again...Engine Malfunction light in red with oil light, battery, information light and ESP - no engine light. RAC recovered back to Ford garage. <losing will to live at this point> Error code P1169 - Ford Fuel Rail Sensor In Range High Failure.

20th Aug (today) Ford advise an air cleaner replacement, fuel vaporiser and fuel filter replacement - however can offer no guarantee this will resolve - cost £420 inc vat.

Feel totally and utterly unsure what to do for the better :(

Ahh!!! Ok. Shouldnt have asked. Lol cant see what fuel vaporiser has to do with esp light coming on with engine malfunction,

All sounds a bit strange, they can test fuel vaporiser using ids, testing for fuel delivery from vaporiser to dpf. If that checks out ok then that doesnt need replacing. Fuel and air filter blockage wont cause fuel rail high range failure either I would have thought. I may be wrong though,

What auto box is in kuga ? Powershift?

sounds to me car is not fit for purpose ie refund springs to mind

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly a colleague recently had the same farce and loss of her car for about 6 weeks during this problem. they replaced a sensor (thats all they told her) as it was faulty. From what I have read, there is a DPF relevant sensor which caused the issue, as its the wrong type and was replaced. Ford still yet appear to have failed to acknowledge their error and as such havent issued a callback.

• Like 1

Various places including our own forum, and it's also the feedback my colleague got

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Im intrigued, I shall have to have a search, i know about faulty dpf sensors failing in range but not wrong type of sensors , the dpf pressure sensor hasnt changed part number or engineering number, so that must leave the upstream and downstream temp sensors wrong? Will see what I can find out.

• 4 years later...
On 8/15/2015 at 12:06 PM, alexp999 said:

The car should have come with a 6 month warranty when you bought it if from a trader.

So if you have only had it 6 months you shouldn't have needed to pay for any work.

Have you been taking it back to the same place you bought it?

Hi not sure if I am any help but my kuga kept coming up with engine malfunction light and looses power it turned out to be the fuel filter blocked I changed that the problem was no more

• 3 weeks later...

Has any one confirmed that checking the fuel filter solved there problem ??? There seems to be a lot of us with the same problem ? And a lot of very quiet ford technicians ???!

• 11 months later...

I'm having the same issue. It's in the garage now so no car for Christmas. Changed the fuel sensor on the right of the block. 170 and done the filter aswell but still having the issue, fault reads as fuel rail sensor in range but high. Is their a second sensor on the rail that I should look at?? 

• 4 weeks later...

hi did you resolve your issues as apart from mine being a manual i have the same issues 

• 2 months later...

Are your Fuel sender wires going into the clip exposed. Mine were. It’s a point of weakness on mk1 kuga. Electrical wiring is awful, finding burnt out fuses burnt out lamp holders on the reg plate lights... just the tip on theses cars 

• 2 months later...

I’m having the same problem now. Did you ever get to the bottom of it??

Drove to Weston-Super-mare from Birmingham yesterday. Got to Worcester on the motorway when engine malfunction warning came up in red. Couldn’t go faster than 75mph but drive was fine. 
After spending the day in Weston, I drove back to Birmingham got to Bristol when the same red warning appeared but with a loss of acceleration and power (couldn’t go above 70mph).

Started the Kuga today, no message just engine light on.

Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I bought a used kuga three weeks ago and it has already had to go to a garage three times because of the engine malfunction warning. 
two days after buying the car it came up, they did a oil and filter change. Two days later it came up again, back to the garage for a pdf sensor change, two days later same again. This time the cleared the fuel line and burnt of the old diesel, they kept it longer to check the problem was sorted. Half an hour after getting it back same thing again…. Getting very frustrated now as spent a lot of money on this car. Thankfully under warranty but keep having to take time off to take to garages. Any advice would be gratefully received as I have no clue what else it can be. 

• 5 months later...

Hi has anyone had this problem resolved and how? I have the same issues... As soon as I turn on the engine the engine malfunction light comes on. Thanks. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club