Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St Hid Dark Line Issue

ryanfenton382

Hi Lads,

I've recently installed HID into the projectors on my ST. I fitted them the correct way around and they have dark lines in the middle of the beams. I read on here that people have solved this issue by turning the bulb 180 degrees, I cut some notches in the bulbs base and fitted them upside down and the same dark line is still there. Anybody found a cause/solution for this?

Cheers

post-67984-0-62815900-1439816920_thumb.j

post-67984-0-81148900-1439816927_thumb.j

That beam pattern is a complete mess.. never mind a dark line..

That beam pattern is a complete mess.. never mind a dark line..

The headlights are not bolted in, they are just resting on the car whilst i was checking if they worked...........

The headlights are not bolted in, they are just resting on the car whilst i was checking if they worked...........

That explains the height, I was referring to the beam pattern. Is the dimmer glow above caused by the sidelights?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That explains the height, I was referring to the beam pattern. Is the dimmer glow above caused by the sidelights?

No the light above the cutoff point is caused by the shape of the garage door. There is sharp angles reflecting light upwards

No the light above the cutoff point is caused by the shape of the garage door. There is sharp angles reflecting light upwards

Aah fair enough ;). Maybe not such a mess after all

The lines are a strange one... Never seen it before

Can you rest the bulbs at a 90 degree angle?

That will tell you if it is the bulb or the projector causing the shadow then.

• Like 1

Can you rest the bulbs at a 90 degree angle?

That will tell you if it is the bulb or the projector causing the shadow then.

I'm going to try a 45 degree angle out tonight and then most angles in between. I've seen a few people post about these lines but never any solutions/causes.

Are HID kits are illegal to install ? Especially without self levelling and washers

Hi mate. Looks just like the problem I had. Rotating the bulbs solved my problem but see you've done that.

What kit did you get and any chance of a picture of the bulb?

Are HID kits are illegal to install ? Especially without self levelling and washers

Lots of debate about this but I personally think they are without additional washers / levelers which currently are not available for the fiesta.

Hi mate. Looks just like the problem I had. Rotating the bulbs solved my problem but see you've done that.

What kit did you get and any chance of a picture of the bulb?

I've just done an experiment, i chucked the halogens back in and hooked up a battery just to make sure the bulbs were the problem. But even with the halogens in i've got a dark line and even some strange light bleeding over the cutoff point. I'm thinking now i've just got a dodgy pair of lights. Anybody able to supply a picture of the beam your lights are giving off? halogen or HID

post-67984-0-49785500-1439839066_thumb.j

post-67984-0-14630100-1439839074_thumb.j

If the cut out is on the opposite side of the bulb to the metal wire then cutting the same notch in the opposite side should resolve the "black lines". It did for me. Your image seems to show something different to "black lines" most people talk about. Here is an image of what I experienced before I rotated the bulbs, two lines that ran parallel to the road.

post-60600-0-77137700-1439850611_thumb.j

This was totally resolved by rotating the bulbs

Not all OEM fitted HID's (Xenon) light have self levelling or washers so it can't be illegal just because of this point, secondly I know the UK might be different but in SA it is only illegal if the HID's are fitted in Non- projector lights, in SA the Titanium and ST comes standard with Projector lights so it's legal to fit HID's

If you install HID's of 8000-12000K you are also asking for trouble, they are dark blue to purple coloured, so stick with something between 4000k and 6000k that would look OEM

Problem solved guys, in absolute desperation and confusion, I started polishing the inside of the project housing and this has fixed the issue. Happy days.

Why does every HID thread end up being a legal debate, there's loads of threads dedicated to that exact debate.

• Like 3

I personally have them - 6000k, but keep two standard lights in the car spare. I have a small screwdriver set as well, so any trouble and I can swap them on the side of the road in ten minutes. But, having said that, I've passed endless police cars and had no issues. Driving past me, parked on the side of the road, sat opposite me at traffic lights; and at various times like 5am, 9pm, 11pm as well normal daytime. They clearly aren't worried about mine!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club