THE Fiesta Detailing Thread

greenymk7

Hi

When do you guys use Autoglym Super Resin Polish

- straight after washing and drying

- or put something on pre SRP

:rolleyes:

Hi,

Our Frozen White Titanium arrives in a few weeks. The dealer has offered to Diamonbrite the car FOC, how well it is applied is anyones guess. I may re-do it myself once I have the car as I have some Diamondbrite in the garage. We had it on a previous car and it seemed to make the car easier to clean (we get a lot of tree sap where we live).

Some advice please - the car will be used by my wife for work and the school run etc etc and at week ends we are just too busy to spend hours 'detailing' the car. What shampoo does everyone recommend? Should I just get the Diamondbrite stuff? For polish I have been using Autoglym Super Resin on the existing car a few times a year to keep the car in good condition - this also gives an opportunity to keep an eye on the bodywork etc, but I am never certain of the best cloths to use?

Finally - all the Fords we have had in the past have suffered with alloy wheels which seem to tarnish very quickly. What is best product to protect the wheels and to clean them with?

Thanks all.

Hi

When do you guys use Autoglym Super Resin Polish

- straight after washing and drying

- or put something on pre SRP

:rolleyes:

You can use either approach here.

Straight after washing and drying is good if the surface is already smooth from a paint cleanse, clay etc.

You could use some clay and paint cleaner before hand to give a really nice finish.

Hi,

Our Frozen White Titanium arrives in a few weeks. The dealer has offered to Diamonbrite the car FOC, how well it is applied is anyones guess. I may re-do it myself once I have the car as I have some Diamondbrite in the garage. We had it on a previous car and it seemed to make the car easier to clean (we get a lot of tree sap where we live).

Some advice please - the car will be used by my wife for work and the school run etc etc and at week ends we are just too busy to spend hours 'detailing' the car. What shampoo does everyone recommend? Should I just get the Diamondbrite stuff? For polish I have been using Autoglym Super Resin on the existing car a few times a year to keep the car in good condition - this also gives an opportunity to keep an eye on the bodywork etc, but I am never certain of the best cloths to use?

Finally - all the Fords we have had in the past have suffered with alloy wheels which seem to tarnish very quickly. What is best product to protect the wheels and to clean them with?

Thanks all.

Just a quick ansewer, but I believe once the DB stuff is one, you cant apply waxes and such, which jsut wasn't going to happin for me, seems to be a lot of poeple question how effective it is and how long its clamed to work for.

Hi,

Thanks all.

I really wouldn't bother with Diamondbrite, there are much better products out there.

Everyone will recommend a different shampoo which suits them. I personally have not tried Dodo BTBM which everyone raves on about so I would recommend some 3M Car Wash Soap or Zymol Autowash. Meguiars Gold Class is also a good choice. The last 2 can both be found on the shelf in Halfords.

AG SRP is a good product to use, to keep the results longer lasting you can protect the bodywork with an aqua wax to keep up with your busy schedule this is applied while drying the car and will take no more than 20 minutes to apply, AG Aqua Wax can be found on the shelf in Halfords or there is also Duragloss which can be found online.

As for cloths, microfibre cloths are ideal to use, these can be found in a range of stores or online.

To clean the wheels EVERYONE will recommend Bilberrys Wheel Cleaner, this can be found online and it a very good product. A wheel sealant would help to stop the problems you speak of, Poorboys Wheel Sealant will do the trick but be prepared to spend a few hours applying a sealant to the wheels.

Shopping list ..... ;)

3M Car Wash Soap

Zymol Autowash

Meguiars Gold Class (Comes in smaller bottle for cheaper)

AG Aqua Wax

Duragloss Aqua Wax

Bilberrys Wheel Cleaner

Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Gaz as you are here, what you recommend for the black trim around the outside of the/ bumpers etc?

Also do you jsut buy a spray bottle and mix/ spray the Bilberrys stuff on?...these are really the last bits of my complete kit.

I really wouldn't bother with Diamondbrite, there are much better products out there.

Everyone will recommend a different shampoo which suits them. I personally have not tried Dodo BTBM which everyone raves on about so I would recommend some 3M Car Wash Soap or Zymol Autowash. Meguiars Gold Class is also a good choice. The last 2 can both be found on the shelf in Halfords.

AG SRP is a good product to use, to keep the results longer lasting you can protect the bodywork with an aqua wax to keep up with your busy schedule this is applied while drying the car and will take no more than 20 minutes to apply, AG Aqua Wax can be found on the shelf in Halfords or there is also Duragloss which can be found online.

As for cloths, microfibre cloths are ideal to use, these can be found in a range of stores or online.

To clean the wheels EVERYONE will recommend Bilberrys Wheel Cleaner, this can be found online and it a very good product. A wheel sealant would help to stop the problems you speak of, Poorboys Wheel Sealant will do the trick but be prepared to spend a few hours applying a sealant to the wheels.

Shopping list ..... ;)

3M Car Wash Soap

Zymol Autowash

Meguiars Gold Class (Comes in smaller bottle for cheaper)

AG Aqua Wax

Duragloss Aqua Wax

Bilberrys Wheel Cleaner

Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Gaz as you are here, what you recommend for the black trim around the outside of the/ bumpers etc?

Also do you jsut buy a spray bottle and mix/ spray the Bilberrys stuff on?...these are really the last bits of my complete kit.

Believe it or not the rest of your kit can be completed for about £5 !!

For the trim, Peanut Butter or Ground Nutmeg oil are very effective and cheap. If you prefer something aimed more at the car then Chemical Guys New look trim Gel (This will break the £5 budget and the first two are just as effective ;))

Bilberrys can be applied through a CHEMICAL RESISTANT spray bottle and head :D

Thank you for the advice and tips.

Will get shopping! Especially keen to get the wheel stuff on board, alloys on wifes current Fiesta look awfull, as did the wheels on the Focus she had before. It must be the way they are treated/painted at the factory. On my company car (an Audi) the wheels look fine after just splashing them with water - same with the VW alloys on my old 1997 Golf Estate!

Re Diamondbrite - I hear what you are saying but I'll let them apply it as I am not being charged for it (every little helps) but will 'top it up' using some of the products you have recommended.

We chose White for the 'throw a bucket of water at it and it is all clean again' convenience of it. Plus I think it looks great in White. She has a 2007 Fiesta Ghia in Amythest at present. Takes hours to clean and shows every blemish - never again.

Looking forward to the new Fiesta in White - I can't bear dirty cars, I enjoy cleaning and polishing the car but wouldn't get away with spending all day 'detailing' it etc - so something easy to clean - bring it on!

Thanks again.

Is this one chemical resitant you think?

Dont tell me I have to go to ANOTHER shop jsut to get the right filler bottle! :lol:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/handi-hold-bottle-947ml-/prod_375.html

That Bottle £1.45

With this Sprayer £1.95

CYC price - £3.40

I4D

Bottle - 95p

Spray Head £1.95

Total £2.90 plus you will get 7.5% using the code FOCX ;)

Awww dammit lol...now I have to go sign up to that site and just order the Trim Gel and Bilberry Wheel Cleaner from them!

Awww dammit lol...now I have to go sign up to that site and just order the Trim Gel and Bilberry Wheel Cleaner from them!

Price it up doing I4D and CYC and then just CYC as when you include postage it may be cheaper to just use CYC

hmmmwell that and I cant find Chemical Guys Gel on the site....doesnt mean its not there but these things can jide themselves, would be good to get the little discount :)

:(

Justwent with what was on CYC.....iv just spent £60 feckin quid...god help me!

at least you get loyalty points, you can get a mitt or a cloth free or similar with your next order... maybe.. lol

I used Autoglym SRP on the weekend, but i think i might be doing it wrong!!

I think i was using too much, but it didnt seem to go on that easy.

Are you applying it to a dry body with a dry pad

or

a dry body with a damp pad

or

something else?

I used Autoglym SRP on the weekend, but i think i might be doing it wrong!!

I think i was using too much, but it didnt seem to go on that easy.

Are you applying it to a dry body with a dry pad

or

a dry body with a damp pad

or

something else?

Small blob (5p size) onto a dry applicator pad, fold the applicator in 2 to smudge the SRP (A bit like a butterfly painting you may have done at primary school :lol: )then work well into the dry bodywork, this 5p blob should last half a bonnet easily.

I apply SRP by brush believe it or not - very very soft detailing brush that is.

I run a straight line across the top of the body panel, and then work it in moving downwards with a mf.

I also apply EGP this way - a product I am coming to respect more and more.

Right I've got my shopping list made out with i4d but just need to know what I need to apply the Dodo Red Mist Spray with. Also do I need a brush for the wheel cleaner.

My list ready to be sent;

Dodo Juice Born to be mild

Dodo Juice Red mist spray detailer

Dri-U-Kwik microfibre drying towel

Valet PRO Bilberry Sare Whell Cleaner

Atomiza Handi Hold detailing Bottle

Atomiza Chemical Resistant Spray Head

and I have a Mequires MF Wash Mitt brought from Halfords

Cheers folks

For the bilberry, I spray on, leave for about a minute and then agitate with this I4D brush before rinsing with a pressure washer.

The red mist is a spray on, wipe off product. i.e. you just do a couple of spritzes on a panel and immediately buff off with a nice microfibre cloth.

I personally use these I4D ultra plush MFs for red mist/removing wax. If you want something a bit cheaper, these bog standard MFs do the job fine. :D

Hope that helps :)

For the bilberry, I spray on, leave for about a minute and then agitate with this I4D brush before rinsing with a pressure washer.

The red mist is a spray on, wipe off product. i.e. you just do a couple of spritzes on a panel and immediately buff off with a nice microfibre cloth.

I personally use these I4D ultra plush MFs for red mist/removing wax. If you want something a bit cheaper, these bog standard MFs do the job fine. :D

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for that just added the brush and a pack of the "bog standard" MF's. Order sent

Suppose I should now get a pressure but I'll wait and see after my first wash.

I apply SRP by brush believe it or not - very very soft detailing brush that is.

I run a straight line across the top of the body panel, and then work it in moving downwards with a mf.

I also apply EGP this way - a product I am coming to respect more and more.

How do you go about using the brush Dan?

Interested :D

I also got a scrap panel yesterday to attack with the machine polisher :ph34r: